Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Gearing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Gearing

Okay so after a long long trail ride my stock 20t just smoked and gave out. I got home to see what was the problem with it but still worked so im guessing it just got hot. i put it in there with a either 14 or 15 cant remember but still running hot. i was wanting to go to Holmes BR-XL and then i don't know which motor inrunner or outrunner what is the difference. My second choice is the velineon system running it on training mode but what gearing should i go with. My last question is what would be the best system out of all of them that has okay speed but good crawling aspect.
98sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
20K Club

Take a look at the Wraith beginners guide it touches on all of this.

I will say that I am not that happy with the VXL system. The no drag brake makes it pretty useless. If you want any crawlability you need to go with a sensored inrunner motor and I would stay below 3000kv.

Gearing won't be too big of a deal once you put a new motor in. The stock will be fine but you could always go back to the 87/14 we ran in the SCX10 trucks which will work great.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Take a look at the Wraith beginners guide it touches on all of this.

I will say that I am not that happy with the VXL system. The no drag brake makes it pretty useless. If you want any crawlability you need to go with a sensored inrunner motor and I would stay below 3000kv.

Gearing won't be too big of a deal once you put a new motor in. The stock will be fine but you could always go back to the 87/14 we ran in the SCX10 trucks which will work great.

By under 3000kv you mean like 2700 and so forth. Since you have had it longer than pretty much anybody what would you suggest the holmes hobbies puller or what. Im wanting something that is gonna stay very cool and still have decent speed but all the torque you will ever need
Old 06-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98sierra View Post
By under 3000kv you mean like 2700 and so forth. Since you have had it longer than pretty much anybody what would you suggest the holmes hobbies puller or what. Im wanting something that is gonna stay very cool and still have decent speed but all the torque you will ever need
A hand wound motor somewhere similar to the stock motor in turns will give you better results with the same gearing, plus it will be quicker and have better low end. All because its hand built with precision.

My plan is to get a 17-20 turn handwound from Mr. Holmes.

After using 4 different motors in the Wraith now I think that will be the best choice.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
A hand wound motor somewhere similar to the stock motor in turns will give you better results with the same gearing, plus it will be quicker and have better low end. All because its hand built with precision.

After using 4 different motors in the Wraith now I think that will be the best choice.
Let me know how temps are thats what i want low temps so i can crawl a motor for more than a hour and then another hour why it cools
Old 06-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post

Are you talking typical 3 pole or 5 pole? If 3 pole I see run time and heat issues when using that setup for crawling over longer periods. I just don't see it having the copper to really produce the torque.

I am going to the 5 pole 13 turn which is close to a 27 turn 3 pole motor. Speed should be good with stock gearing but crawling should be much better.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Are you talking typical 3 pole or 5 pole? If 3 pole I see run time and heat issues when using that setup for crawling over longer periods. I just don't see it having the copper to really produce the torque.

I am going to the 5 pole 13 turn which is close to a 27 turn 3 pole motor. Speed should be good with stock gearing but crawling should be much better.
Talking about a 3 pole motor. There may be heat "issues", but a better handwound standup motor will run cooler then an equivalent machine wound cheap one.

I never really said anything about crawling, I just said more torque. The Wraith to me is a rock racer, its not the best at crawling or going fast, but it does both really well. I have comp rigs, class 2, class 3, short course, rally. I don't need another one of those the Wraith is a rock racer to me.

So for my intended purposes the 20 turn 3 pole will be fine. Hell I made the stock motor, then the HPI 15 turn last over 30 miles of driving.

If your not crawling comp lines, stalling out the motor or over volting, there is no reason a 20T will not last a long time.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

How would a novak 35t rockstar work with the stock axial esc has anyone tried that.
teamvaladezhobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamvaladezhobb View Post
How would a novak 35t rockstar work with the stock axial esc has anyone tried that.
It would work fine, it's a pretty basic motor.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

the novak rockstars are hand wound also if I am not mistaken correct??
teamvaladezhobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thats my set up right now,although I am running 4s. With the stock gearing it does get quite warm after 40 minutes of trail running.The low end and resolution is night and day better than stock.Speed/acceleration/punch is good also if you dont load up to much weight in the wheels.

I will be dropping the pinion size 1 or 2 teeth to see if I can drop the temp a bit.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

It was my understanding that the rockstar is not handwound, just priced like one....
RCram is offline   Reply With Quote