Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Spawn Rock Racer Kit - Build Completed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2016, 04:39 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Spawn Rock Racer Kit - Build Completed

Hi,

New to crawling and looked at the amazing builds from the members of this forum to inspire my newb build.

Love this truck. Good dynamics and very capable form the factory, however in my view a little low on quality if you want to run brushless. My objectives were simple coming from a HPI Savage... Strength, power, speed in that order without spending too much. Anyhow I consider this stage one.

Would appreciate any tips you want to share with an apprentice crawler

Last edited by Mendoza; 06-14-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2016, 04:58 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Spawn Rock Racer Kit - Build Completed

Had a blast building the kit. But little dissapointed in how much cash you have to spend to get it up to this standard... Which after 5 hours of running has been awesome - bashable, reliable, no breakages and heaps of fun The Savage is built much better but is one dimensional vehicle compared to the Spawn.

Phase 1 parts list
11.1v 3S venom 35C, 5000mah
Tekin Roc412 3100
Orion Pro r10 ESC
Vanquish links top/bottom/steering
Spektrum 6280 servo (364oz @ 6v) waterproof
Axial HD 36/14 overdrive ring/pinion diff gears
MIP drive shafts
Spektrum SRS4200 waterproof receiver
Vanquish rear lockouts
RR transmission gears
Traxxas 4mm drive shaft pins
Traxxas body mount mod
Old 06-12-2016, 05:11 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Phase 2 parts list (arrived yet to be installed)
Axial lighting system (cheaper 6 light system $24)
Vanquish chubs / knuckles
Vanquish servo mount
Vanquish shock/axle mounts
Beef tubes
Proline slash rear shocks all round (soft/soft progressive springs - 25wt oil)
...really, nicely made shocks and the dual rate is cool

I've spent $1150 total including the kit and everything on the two lists. And I am wrapped in the Wraith. I've geared this thing to have a good top speed for bashing and low enough to be capable for crawling. This motor and ESC are super smooth low down - basically crawling a little faster than a lug at a time. Very pleased with it.

The phase 3 is going to be a Holmes Hobbies, 540puller Pro 3500. Mainly to see how much better it is than the Tekin and to do some video comparisons.

Parts
Old 06-12-2016, 05:49 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

You got mail! Just arrived. Amazing how much $$ it all adds up! And I am not doing or spending anywhere near the hardcore guys on this forum. I don't even have aluminium trusses, axles etc. but I am happy with mine.

I'll post up completed pics and short vid.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:30 AM   #5

Awesome built!!
Do yourself a big favor and ditch those proline foams for crawler innovation foams.

Keep the pics coming, I can't wait to see your comparision of tekin 412 and hh puller 3500kv comparision.
Estol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks mate
Old 06-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

That looks great
Yonzariq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

If the inserts are memory foams and since you're mounting the tires on wide Pro-Line beadlocks anyway, use the stock foams a little to see how you like them. The memory foams in the Super Swampers I have do good job of supporting the tire while allowing it to conform to obstacles. The memory foams that came with the BF Goodrich KR2's were a little too big and a little too firm so I opted for the Pro-Line #6172-00 two stage foams for them.

If they're just standard open cell foams then you'll probably want something else.
Soldat Vaillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:48 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks Yonzarig! And very much appreciate your advice Soldat Vaillant... I actually bought the super swampers before even trying the Maxxis Trepadors which have turned out to be really good IMO. I wasn't aware PL make 2-stage foams... Do you think medium for rear and soft fronts? I was thinking running the same all round?? Basically because I am heading toward a 50/50 weight distribution for the truck.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:04 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Pro-Line only has one 2-stage crawler insert and it may not be big enough for the XL Super Swamper. Description says they fit 5.2" - 5.5" diameter tires and the XL is 5.8". I've been fine with the same inserts front and rear, but others prefer the stiffer foam in the rear tires. I just haven't tried mismatching front and rear foams so I can't say if you would benefit from the mismatch or not.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:29 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Finally received my programmer box for the ESC - looking forward to fine tuning

Hope to get some spare time to fit the PL shocks, Vanquish chubs/knuckles,lights and beeftubes this weekend. Thanks for your advice and comments

Last edited by Mendoza; 06-14-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:36 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Couple of short running videos. Sorry I don't know how to embed them yet and I had to hack them down to 45 seconds in order to upload... These are my first running test videos on about 50% battery which I will update with some proper crawling video soon.

Video 1 - Slow
http://vid1072.photobucket.com/album...psbyn7wqks.mp4

Video 2 - Faster (half - 3/4 throttle) - few small jumps
http://vid1072.photobucket.com/album...psf3rnwufm.mp4
Old 06-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Last point of weakness in the truck are the plastic locker housings... Any of you crawlmasters put the Vanquish floating locker into the AR60 plastic axle housings? Is it a straight fit, are there an alternative metal option-do you guys think this is a must for a wraith?

Main reason is to achieve max strength possible, without all metal axle housings.

Once this upgrade is done.. I think I'll be close to BP
HD trans gears
HD ring/pinion
Beeftubes
Lockers
Yeti 60T metal spur
Gmade 13T pinion

Any advice fellers?
Old 06-14-2016, 07:40 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

*SALE EXTENDED* BMRC Axial Solid Axle Spools

The vanquish 2 piece locker is good but you have to run there front axles to use the set screws in the front. The back axle was fine but the small axle in the front didn't reach all the way in. I put the blue monkey locker in the front and life is good.
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:57 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

You're running brushless so I'd say yes, HD lockers and ring and pinion is a must. Plenty of great choices for lockers available. I've personally tried Locked Up RC FI spools, Grip Fab spools, VP old and new version, and Blue Monkey 300m spools. These are all great spools from great companies and yes, they are all a direct fit. I'd also suggest sticking with Robinson Racing for pinions. Also, you might consider running HD underdrive, 43/13, ring and pinion in the axles to reduce torque twist and go with a Robinson Racing 56t Slash slipper with one of SuperShafty's beefy top shafts. I run that slipper and top shaft in all 7 of my trucks and have never had a single problem. The slipper spur is easily tuneable and does exactly what it is supposed to do, save the driveline without having a "cheap plastic weak point" waiting to fail on you at the worst time. I don't like having to change batteries in the middle of a run let alone tear the entire truck apart to replace a crappy spur with another crappy spur. JMHO
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:17 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Thanks a bunch for taking the time guys. I should have been clearer... That list above is already bought and would be my set up once I have installed everything. The only decision I have outstanding is the locker. And I'll now be checking out the options you guys have made. Screamer, I couldn't agree more - I want to avoid failures where possible and your honest opinion is highly valued - I only wish I had asked earlier...thank you.

Last edited by Mendoza; 06-15-2016 at 03:59 AM.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Thanks Yonzarig! And very much appreciate your advice Soldat Vaillant... I actually bought the super swampers before even trying the Maxxis Trepadors which have turned out to be really good IMO. I wasn't aware PL make 2-stage foams... Do you think medium for rear and soft fronts? I was thinking running the same all round?? Basically because I am heading toward a 50/50 weight distribution for the truck.
Looks like a spoke too soon on the Pro-Line #6172-00 2-stage foams being too small for the larger tires. Just put them in a set of Duratrax Showdown's and they fit really well. The Showdown are 6" OD and the 2-stage fits good then as well as the regular TSL (5.4" OD) and KR2 (5.5" OD). I like these Pro-Line foams in all three tires.

Last edited by Soldat Vaillant; 06-19-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:37 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

I ordered some double deuce mediums all round, before seeing your post!

I have some work to do - like installing the upgrades I talked about earlier ... problem is I'm having way too much fun learning to crawl, and to take it off the road for wrench work for any period of time ... And with the upgrades I already did, i am finding it hard to break anything even with my amateur rock driving skills. You'll notice I'm a bit aggressive on the acceleration when something gets in the way - hope you guys can forgive an ex MT basher - old habits die hard

Short video update from the nature reserve at the back of my place...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ay4g7t8f9e...%20PM.mov?dl=0

I'll post picks of the completed truck soon and get a cameraman to follow me on the trail. Need my waterproofing done as well, so I can do a river crossing in the next video.

Last edited by Mendoza; 06-29-2016 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:58 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Been a while but after moving house, having a second child and getting my 5 yr old son a yeti jr ... I’ve finally thrown on those parts I bought 2 years ago.

Vanquish chubs, knuckles and diff covers - love the black on black look!
Proline wheels and XL tires
Proline shocks
Simple light kit

Couple of mods done including the fast back using the spawn kit alloy links and in process of moving battery up front and cleaning up the rest of the rig.

Also cut up a HPI Savage Chevy C10 longbed body which I’m painting and will put on “honcho” style. I’ll post up the pics once it’s done.

Last edited by Mendoza; 10-06-2018 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Auto correct
Old 10-06-2018, 06:40 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

The proline Chev C10 body cut and fit. I bought for my Savage years ago but never used it - was hoping to fit it somehow...not too bad? The 72 model is one of the best looking pick-up trucks ever built IMO. And I wanted to minimise cutting to maintain its great shape. I’ve kept the rear tray and will experiment to see if I can fit it, but I think it will look better as a truggy.

Now to mask and paint. Probably going to have to use wider yeti hubs to clear the guards with the XL swampers I’m running. Or I may pick up a set of Pitbull growlers or Ottsix Voodoos which are shorter and more narrow.

Last edited by Mendoza; 10-09-2019 at 05:02 AM.

Spawn Rock Racer Kit - Build Completed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Spawn Kit Build Up tc1 Axial Wraith 34 01-20-2018 01:47 AM
Wraith Spawn Kit Build Front Diff Clicks when stopping hard 4x4Jay 2.2 Scale Rigs 7 05-17-2016 11:10 PM
RichMTB01's Wraith Spawn KIT Build RichMTB01 Axial Wraith 0 05-13-2015 08:35 AM
[Video] Joe's SCX10 Kit Build Completed joerc2013 Axial SCX-10 8 03-04-2015 10:42 AM
rock racer kit vito Newbie General 4 12-29-2011 03:20 AM