Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: --- Crawler Innovations "White Lightning Wraith" ---

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #41
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockspider View Post
Will you be selling the delrin links set? Also available in black, right?
They're up on his site crawlerinnovations.com

Eddie,
I want those tires! PM'ing you now!
yjdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #42
Rock Stacker

I can't find that delrin tray on his site can you post a link or something.
Slowsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #43
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
yes he is check www.crawlerinnovations.com
txcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:33 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

I didn't understand such a sharp machined edge either, is was only causing a weak point. A friend out here has corkscrewed his stock ones as well.

How long until we get super 300's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post

Let me start by saying, the fit and feel of these RC4WD CVD's when first installed was good and it definitely smoothed out the front turning. Now if you run them with short tires, 2S voltage and be nice to them, they will probably be fine.

That said, my experience with them on 4S and 5 3/4" tall was disastrous from the first time they had power to them.

1. The long side CVD pin broke in the first 30 feet. Not even 15 seconds of drive time and a CVD broke pin. Thankfully a Traxxas pin I had in my box fit perfect on diameter, but was a little long. I went ahead and used pliers to attach the ring around the pin.

2. The short side CVD pin lasted into the second battery pack before it broke. I replaced the pin and finished the second battery pack.

3. We came home and my son ran a third battery pack at the Crawler Innovations compound. That's when the long side CVD shaft broke.

4. I didn't run the truck for the first time until Saturday night when it broke the short CVD on the fourth battery pack.

I put the stock axle shafts back in and we have run 9 battery packs on them with no issues.

sierrajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowsteve View Post

Same here. We need a link.
hellbentrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #46
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
I knew you had it in you, I'm proud of you

something tells me that it wasn't a difficult task.
Unfortunately, you are right. 5 battery packs before they both were totaled. SDS or VP need to make something soon. However, thankfully the Axial stock dog bones have held up excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybongo63 View Post
Nicely executed!
Thanks for testing the CVDs.
Diggin' the white delrin links.
Noob Q, is there an advantrage to running the shocks with the body on the downside?
Oh and I remember White Lightnings, wouldn't it be worth more if the tires were white rubber?
I wish I could do white tires. That would be so different.

I always run my shocks upside down on my comp crawlers for a lower center of gravity. Since I knew going into the build that the wraith is top heavy, I followed suit and ran these shocks upside as well. After having run this wraith with others, it definitely handles better even with 4S & brushless power. So every little thing adds up in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryone View Post
That engine would look so much better in "Southern Comfort". Dang you Eddie. See you tomorrow
Hater...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Looking good Eddie. Really liking this build. The tires and motor put it over the top.
Thank you Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwf150 View Post
Its about time you got that finished. I figured after Gavin drove mine he might get you to finish it up faster. I think we plan on coming to run with you guys this weekend!
So glad you guys came out. We had so much fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
That disappointing to hear about the cvd's. Build is really shaping up!
RC4WD is just cheap Chinese parts so I wasn't surprised they failed. I was surprised how quickly they failed though. If you had a stock wraith, or if you are really easy on things, these would be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcrawl View Post
i had the chancce to run these tires and all i can say is WOW!!!!! by far the best tires ive ever ran hooked on everything loose dirt, rock, and the red clay hills people where having to do full throttle assults on, not with these tires you could just drive up with hardly any spinning
Thank you for the kind words. They are definitely a very fun tire to run
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #47
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
All delrin links are in stock and shipping. I have both colors of links, Black or White, in stock. The web site has them in the "Crawler Parts" section. The web site is also configured to calculate International shipping. Please let me know if you have any more questions and thank you for your interest.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #48
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyota View Post
im interested in one of those derlin wraith electronics tray's.can you PM some details..Thank You.Wes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowsteve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbentrodder View Post
Same here. We need a link.

The electronics tray is not on the web site yet. I am still looking for a quality water jetter locally and have had zero luck. So I am expanding the search and Carter Fab & Machine is suppose to check with a shop he has used before.

In the mean time, I am cutting these out by hand and will have enough made that I will add them to the web site tonight or tomorrow. Thank you for your interest. Without good customers, none of this would even be possible.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #49
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Ever since I put in the electronics tray and hinged the hood with zip ties, my son or I would just remove and replace the factory screw in the front part of the hood in order to gain access to the battery. Drilling 3mm cap head screws was not working for me and wanted something that looked better than the old Associated pin battery bolt. So I looked around through my parts trays and came across these posts. They are Traxxas #3727 which is the battery hold down plate & hardware for a Traxxas Rustler. I drilled the Axial factory screw hole bigger and just threaded these into place. Perfect hood pins. I have these available for sale on the C.I. web site.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #50
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

We have been testing this along with a couple other designs for the past week or so now. Pictured below is a black vinyl outer that has a black canvas inner. It's all sewn together and has 5 aluminum rivets that align to the factory screw holes on the Wraith.

What do you think?

This would be the full Wraith top. We have a top that just covers the driver's area and we are finishing up on a final design for the bed area. I want the bed cover to be easily removable for battery access. So it may have bungee cords sewn in, or come with two bungee cords that go across and hold it down. I still haven't decided on that one yet. If you have any input, please post up.

As for this full top, my son and I have been very hard on it. The pictures posted were taken at a local park after the days worth of bashing. I just wiped off the top with my hand and took the picture. The guys that were there can attest to the quality and strength of this top. This one is just a proto type, we are still working on the final design.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Allow me to be one of the first to say................that is friggin' awesome my man!! Real nice!!
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #52
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdb85 View Post
Allow me to be one of the first to say................that is friggin' awesome my man!! Real nice!!
Thank you very much for the kind words
Old 08-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #53
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I posted a video of my son (Gavin) driving this Wraith. Here's a link:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/videos/334142-quick-video-crawler-innovations-wraith.html#post3254123
Old 08-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Love it Eddie!
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
That said, my experience with them on 4S and 5 3/4" tall was disastrous from the first time they had power to them.

1. The long side CVD pin broke in the first 30 feet. Not even 15 seconds of drive time and a CVD broke pin. Thankfully a Traxxas pin I had in my box fit perfect on diameter, but was a little long. I went ahead and used pliers to attach the ring around the pin.

2. The short side CVD pin lasted into the second battery pack before it broke. I replaced the pin and finished the second battery pack.

3. We came home and my son ran a third battery pack at the Crawler Innovations compound. That's when the long side CVD shaft broke.

Wish I would've seen this before. I just installed a set of these on mine. We'll see how long they hold up.
Oso787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #56
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Well I took a little time this afternoon to tune on the Wraith. It was plenty fast before, but I knew it had more in it. Since I am running a Mamba Max Pro and Tekin 13.5 Sensored brushless motor and Castle Creation has the best programming on the market, I started playing with the CHEAT mode.

I tried several different program modes, but this is the one I like the best so far:

BEC: 7.0
Arming Time: 1.5
Throttle Dead Band: 0.1125
Start Power: High
CHEAT mode enabled
Timing Boost: 26 degrees
Activation Range: 3,800 to 7,700

Gearing
87 Spur
16 Pinion

Basic programming:
Reverse Type: Crawler Reverse
Brake Amount: 50%
Drag Brake Amount: 50%

It broke the front short shaft today with this programming. It also nuked a 4S 20C 1300Mah Lipo.

I was able to modify an Axial AX-10 shaft for the short side and I am back up and running. With this programming it still crawls well but the top speed gained by 25% easily. The motor and ESC are running hotter though. Before they were always at 125* or less. Now they are in the 150* range.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Nice work.. thats a cool engine!
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:33 PM   #58
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Did a little more work on the Wraith today. Here's a proto type bikini top for the Wraith. Black vinyl on the top with black canvas on the inside. The aluminum rivets line up with the factory mounting holes. The factory hardware slides through the rivets attaching your top.

I should have my new Carter Fab & Machine custom cage for it tonight.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:08 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

I'm diggin' the half roof more than the full! Definately in for one when available!
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:49 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

x2 on the half roof. Nice job. Can't wait to see the CFM chassis!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote