Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: EEvil's Wraith Photo Whoring Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

two questions -

first - what lens and body did you use to take your images of the wheels on the truck ? the new wheels? it looks like a wide angle lens on a dslr body

second - i am seriously considering running these after looking at your images. Is there anything else needed, other than purchasing the wheels, that you needed to get the track width right?

thanks and nice images man, very cool looking

thanks
paul
avoidsthelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoidsthelight View Post
two questions -

first - what lens and body did you use to take your images of the wheels on the truck ? the new wheels? it looks like a wide angle lens on a dslr body

second - i am seriously considering running these after looking at your images. Is there anything else needed, other than purchasing the wheels, that you needed to get the track width right?

thanks and nice images man, very cool looking

thanks
paul
The pics you asked about the Lens is a Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L and Canon 1ds mk 3 camera. In the action pics I used a Canon EF 50mm F1.2L lens. I just got the 50 and i wanted to try it out... i loved my 50 1.4 but i took it and all my EFS lens to my house in vegas along with my 7D... this way I dont have to lug it on the airplane when i go down there. I may have to buy another Wraith to leave in vegas now too

The boggers are slightly narrower and taller than the ripsaws. Nothing else was done to my wraith at this time... just wheels and tires no additional parts. IF you look at Vanquish's website they have different sized hubs to adjust the width of your track.

Last edited by PUREVIL; 08-08-2011 at 11:58 AM.
PUREVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Parts that came today...... Vanquish parts should be here tomorrow... then i'll do the steering and maybe the suspension links.

Got the shocks installed....

Lowered ride height

Close up of the wheels

Old 08-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

That's one bad ass rig man! I really like the new ride height. Have u noticed a huge difference in handling with the lower COG???
209SCXCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Looks good! That hitec 7950 will make a huge difference too...
LDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209SCXCRAWLER View Post
That's one bad ass rig man! I really like the new ride height. Have u noticed a huge difference in handling with the lower COG???
Well running it around the back yard i noticed it doesn't roll as easy. I was told that a lower ride height is good for crawling.... but so far im having issues with dragging the links and belly.... Im new to crawling so maybe im doing it wrong? But there are times where I only could go over something straight on, instead of using one wheel... thats when I would get hung up. But other than that I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDogg View Post
Looks good! That hitec 7950 will make a huge difference too...
My vanquish steering parts showed up today.... i notice with the hitech at full lock it would bend the plastic tie rods/drag link. LOL
Old 08-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUREVIL View Post
Well running it around the back yard i noticed it doesn't roll as easy. I was told that a lower ride height is good for crawling.... but so far im having issues with dragging the links and belly.... Im new to crawling so maybe im doing it wrong? But there are times where I only could go over something straight on, instead of using one wheel... thats when I would get hung up. But other than that I love it.

My vanquish steering parts showed up today.... i notice with the hitech at full lock it would bend the plastic tie rods/drag link. LOL
mine would flex the linkage with the stock servo..best first mod to a wraith is the steering linkage
in crawing its a balance of just enough ride height and low cog..the closer your weight is too the ground the less chance of flipping over on inclines or sidehilling, usually with the lower ride height its good to have some power on tap to throttle you over stuff
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

So im working on the steering and it looks like from the picture the drag link goes on top of the knuckle, and a screw goes through the drag link, knuckle, and tie with a nut on the bottom to hold it all together..... except i dont have a screw long enough cuz the one that came out of the stock knuckle is different.... why dont they include that screw? I hate leaving a project unfinished and having to find parts!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

wheels and tires look great man.

Only tires I've seen that fit the Wraith well yet IMO.

Show queen like the rest of your toys ;)

PS paint it black
daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to upgraded parts issues. As a scale builder, you have to have a small arsenal of screws, washers, o rings, scrap anything and a junk bin. You'll save yourself some frustration by having parts on hand. Google rc screw assortment and you'll find a decent 3mm kit. And McMaster-Carr has anything under the sun you would need. If you have a decent local hobby shop, check with them first...Chances are they will have one of the two screws you need!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post
wheels and tires look great man.

Only tires I've seen that fit the Wraith well yet IMO.

Show queen like the rest of your toys ;)

PS paint it black
Dude where you been? I miss your car threads on OT! I've been crawling/bashing with it.... i want to get the steering done so i can head out this weekend to my spot.... ride the rzr with the wraith strapped in the back and then find some places to bash.... then go riding again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Welcome to upgraded parts issues. As a scale builder, you have to have a small arsenal of screws, washers, o rings, scrap anything and a junk bin. You'll save yourself some frustration by having parts on hand. Google rc screw assortment and you'll find a decent 3mm kit. And McMaster-Carr has anything under the sun you would need. If you have a decent local hobby shop, check with them first...Chances are they will have one of the two screws you need!
Ya im going to look for a big screw/nut/bolt kit, do have any links to some you could recommend? I remember back in the day I had a few. Im going to redo my tool box so I have an RC car parts drawer LOL. Im going to check my shop tomorrow to see if they have something i can use while i order a misc screw kit.

Last edited by PUREVIL; 08-10-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Dude where you been? I miss your car threads on OT! I've been crawling/bashing with it.... i want to get the steering done so i can head out this weekend to my spot.... ride the rzr with the wraith strapped in the back and then find some places to bash.... then go riding again.

Ya im going to look for a big screw/nut/bolt kit, do have any links to some you could recommend? I remember back in the day I had a few. Im going to redo my tool box so I have an RC car parts drawer LOL. Im going to check my shop tomorrow to see if they have something i can use while i order a misc screw kit.
i buy rcscrewz revo screw kits once in awhile..lots of assorted bits..also tonys screws you can buy individual packs
http://www.tonysscrews.com/
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonclod View Post
i buy rcscrewz revo screw kits once in awhile..lots of assorted bits..also tonys screws you can buy individual packs
Awesome i'll get some for my scx10 at least, he doesn't have anything for the wraith yet. I need something thats not standard to finish my steering so im going to look at wal mart since they are the only 24 hr store near me... worth a shot since im almost done with work.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:02 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I Left. Place is nothing but trolls. I keep in contact with a lot of people though. I need to get wheels/tires/and vanquish stuff for mine but I'm on a budget this month.

Health issues really got me strapped. Selling the mini.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:03 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=PUREVIL;3226964]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonclod View Post
I use these on my rail and they are wonderful. Rarely strip too.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:13 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post
I Left. Place is nothing but trolls. I keep in contact with a lot of people though. I need to get wheels/tires/and vanquish stuff for mine but I'm on a budget this month.

Health issues really got me strapped. Selling the mini.
Ya trolling is horrible, but i dont care sometimes you get a good thread so i stick around lol

Here are some pics of the Vanquish install.... knuckes are done and diff covers done.... just need to find a m3X25/30 screw to complete the steering.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Titanium steering done.... anyone else lose turning radius with theirs? I think mine has been cut down quite a bit.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Took her out for a short test before the sun dissappeared... not sure how i feel about the shocks... they seem to have such a short travel that it bounces around over the bumps like a low rider LOL

Last edited by PUREVIL; 08-11-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

Awesome wraith and sick trucks. That's funny I also post (rarely) on OT and really enjoyed reading daign's threads. Daign if you read this good luck with the sale on your mini and I hope your feeling better soon man.
Physical Terrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physical Terrorist View Post
Awesome wraith and sick trucks. That's funny I also post (rarely) on OT and really enjoyed reading daign's threads. Daign if you read this good luck with the sale on your mini and I hope your feeling better soon man.
OT'er wraith meat and bash? LOL

What name to you go by on OT?