Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Rear axle short shaft issue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #81
Quarry Creeper

I got the xhd no slop lockers, same issue but i installed them reverse to the manuel. I probably could get the screws to fit on the lockout but may just oval the lockout holes.
Whats the best way to run these diffs, build em like the kit or reverse them? Do ya really get more torque twist from flipping them and why?
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Any luck with replacement shafts that are correct?
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

I hear the vanquish axles will accommodate this.
Vp Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:47 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vp Monkey View Post
I hear the vanquish axles will accommodate this.
That would be nice

For the time being, I rotated and drilled both lockouts. I don't know why axial didn't put the screws at 3 and 6oclock versus 12 and 6 where there are now.

Edit- I just re-thought this and it's probably due to the same housings being used front and rear. The chub screws would interfere with some peoples steering linkage a tiny bit. I wouldn't mind though and like the way they look at 3 and 6 better. And the VP faces front and rear that way too

Last edited by Rig Rocker; 11-30-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Forgot to add that I don't recommend grinding the shaft. You will take away its support at ring gear, and shaft will go too far inside of locker if not careful. I ruined one shaft during my experimentation to solve this problem
Old 12-01-2011, 04:04 AM   #86

I had the same problems after using the heavy duty bevel gear set.
Then I removed the 0,5mm Diff cover gasket and everything fits perfect.

roland
rcscorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:20 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcscorpion View Post
I had the same problems after using the heavy duty bevel gear set.
Then I removed the 0,5mm Diff cover gasket and everything fits perfect.

roland
Why in the heck do they put that gasket there anyways? Not like it's a fluid diff
Old 12-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #88
Pebble Pounder

When I installed my HD gears how the manual calls for (ring gear on short shaft side), I was having gear mesh issues. The ring and pinion mesh was too tight altogether.

Only afterwards did I realize that there was a gasket stuck to the old bevel gear.

Stuck the gasket back on and no more mesh issues.

That gasket doesn't need to seal anything. Axial is mainly using it as a shim of sorts.

Marcus
Draggermirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

I recently bought some new parts to build another set of Wraith axles. The new rear axle shafts I received have the same problem also. The short shaft ring is made lower the the long shaft side.... Guess I'll have to drill another ring gear for this set.
Ernie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Just got some replacement axle shafts and the short shaft is fine
jkwrangler08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post
Forgot to add that I don't recommend grinding the shaft. You will take away its support at ring gear, and shaft will go too far inside of locker if not careful. I ruined one shaft during my experimentation to solve this problem

Not sure what you mean here? I ground the shaft with no issues? How does the shaft support the ring gear? The shaft will go deep into the locker but it is located on both sides by the lockout so its a non issue..
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #92
RCC Addict

Add another kit to the long list of issues with the short shaft flange. Dremmeling the locker about a 16th was the trick as this keeps the flange in place to provide extra rotational support.

Wonder how many others are out there with the same issue and is this mainly a kit issue? There don't seem to be as many RTR owners with the same problem.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #93

First Post! I have been haunting these forums for years.

Ok, yesterday I received the "updated" version of the short axle shaft from Axial.
I had requested a replacement shaft from Axial in early October while I was building the kit version.

The new shaft does address the issue. Here is how you can tell if you have the correct version without wasting time trying to install it:

The inner flange is NOT relocated, it is just thinner. The old version flange is about 1mm thick, but the updated shaft inner flange is only .3mm thick. In fact, it is so thin it appears sharp enough to cut something.

Axial customer service +1 !!!
MrFridayNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #94
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdtrkguy View Post
Not sure what you mean here? I ground the shaft with no issues? How does the shaft support the ring gear? The shaft will go deep into the locker but it is located on both sides by the lockout so its a non issue..

I'm curious also as to the down fall with removing the shoulder? I have done them this way and far prefer it to messing up a locker. If you don't get the hole drilled out just right the axle can become misaligned and cause binding as it turns. I recommend people to not drill out my lockers and to simply remove the lip. It doesn't add strength being there really it just sets axle depth. My kit I just assembled both rear axles would not fit and required modding.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:44 AM   #95
Rock Crawler

Been busy building the kit for the last 4 days. Aaand..yup..short-shaft issues.
Solution? HotRacing locker for the wraith. $15.- later, problem solved, and a much better solution than the dysmally weak solution Axial implemented for a locker.
I wrecked the lock-pins AND the diff-housing on my first run. Strange choice. I guess it's an economy thing.

Dremeling the gear for a bit also works. It'll only needs to be 0.5 mm deeper. The metal is quite soft. The 6mm grinding-stone bit works admirably for this.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #96
Quarry Creeper

O.K. A little confused. Please School me on this stuff.

Should the Axial esc show a green led in foward?

What direction should the Axial 20T motor (or any brushed motor) turn when looking at the pinon side? (CW or CCW)

When the kit Wraith axles are built per manual, will the foward and reverse be correct if the above two are done the correct way?

My rear axle mesh sounds like a grinder after "persuading" the lockout on. What is the best way to remedy this with minimal option parts?

Thank you.
16hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdtrkguy View Post

Okay. The lockout only keeps your axle from sliding out, not inwards. If you have ground your shafts already, do me and yourself a favor. Take off the wheel hex and pin and see if your axle slides into the lockout past pinhole. It should because there is no longer a stop on shaft to stop it from going into the gear/locker too deep. This is because the shafts do not bottom out against eachother inside of locker. This is due to shafts leaving about 10mm gap between ends inside locker. If you run this way, you are asking your lockouts and hex pins to make the positive stop for you. And that isn't their job

IMOP, the best way to deal with this until Axial or VP makes shafts that have correct measurements is to rotate the lockout 90deg and drill new holes in housing with proper endplay accounted for. It will look like this:

Last edited by Rig Rocker; 12-04-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If you run this way, you are asking your lockouts and hex pins to make the positive stop for you. And that isn't their job

Ok, got it. My lockouts and hex pins now have a new job and Im ok with that until it causes an issue
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #99
Quarry Creeper

I run the ring on the opposite side of the manuel, just had to oblong the short shaft lockout a hair with the xhd no slops. These lockers really take the slop out, cant wait to dress them up with some aluminum bearing holders

Correct me if im wrong, but if the wheel is tightend against the hex then the axle flange is not doing any thing by the locker?

Last edited by Cableman; 12-04-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableman View Post
I run the ring on the opposite side of the manuel, just had to oblong the short shaft lockout a hair with the xhd no slops. These lockers really take the slop out, cant wait to dress them up with some aluminum bearing holders

Correct me if im wrong, but if the wheel is tightend against the hex then the axle flange is not doing any thing by the locker?
Axle still moves side to side creating friction on the lockout. That friction should not exist, and the load should be carried by the bearing.