RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Rear axle short shaft issue? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/330536-rear-axle-short-shaft-issue.html)

Katan 08-09-2011 08:50 AM

Rear axle short shaft issue?

I have an issue with my rear axle lockouts not going back together as expected. One of the rear lockouts on the axle will not go back on all of the way.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...s/PICT0109.jpg

I have traced this problem back to the position of the lip on the short axle shaft. It appears to be in the wrong place stopping the shaft from going all the way in to the diff locker and therefore stopping the lockout going all the way on. This pic shows the difference in length of the rear axle shafts at the end

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...s/PICT0137.jpg

Anyone else having this issue?

sloyota 08-09-2011 08:54 AM

i would just cut it off with a dremel with a cut off wheel.or you could send it back to Axial.

Harley 08-09-2011 10:52 AM

I had an issue when I replaced my locker with a 1 piece locker in the rear. Never had an issue when stock.

salmonfacesalad 08-09-2011 11:33 AM

yes I have same issue, should I be worried?

BTW what diff cover is that?

CarterFab 08-09-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmonfacesalad (Post 3224302)

Looks like the poison spider cover minus black powder coat.

Katan 08-09-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmonfacesalad (Post 3224302)

Well you wont be able to re-assemble you rear axle fully without grinding the lip off the of the shaft.

It is a 1 of a kind prototype diff cover that is different to the one we (RC4WD) sell.

im gunna crawl 08-09-2011 08:50 PM

Ive had mine for a while now and just last week took the rear axle apart to relube it with Mobil 1 synthetic universal grease. I did the rear on wenesday ive got vanquish lock outs they didnt want to go back on all the way. I set a 1/4 in deepwell socket on the end and tapped it on. It didnt want to go. After a few love taps it went on. Both sides didnt want to seat all the way. Got the vanquish diff. covers friday and put them on. They look KILLER!!

Katan 08-11-2011 07:28 AM

Looks like not many people have this issue then.

I did email Axial about it over a week ago and never got a reply.

Katan 09-07-2011 09:30 PM

Both of the Wraiths I have been using have this issue.

team3six 09-07-2011 09:39 PM

I know this might seem to be a strange question. but have you tried switching the lockers around. maybe you dont have them tightened down enough or have a small gap. and also are you sure the bearing is not catching or too thick perhap's? I just purchased the Vanquish lockouts and haven't experienced that issue.

Katan 09-07-2011 09:42 PM

Yes I switched everything and checked everything. I didn't want to post and be wrong so I made sure it was a real issue.
My last picture proves it really.

team3six 09-07-2011 09:52 PM

Sounds good katan. I edited the post and look forward to RC4WD's cure all.

BTW, Im not sure what the issue could be. Im wondering if your supplier on the shafts might have a flawed grouping.

Katan 09-07-2011 09:58 PM

We bought 3 of the early Wratihs to do developement on. I have used two of them so maybe I got bad ones from the first batch?

Bullitrockcrawl 09-08-2011 06:44 AM

I did had the same problem.

I rebuild 3 wraith so far and all of them were the same on the short side of the axle.

What puzzle me, is that all 3 were built with the ring gear on the wrong side compare to the manual.

I bet Axial new about it;-)

Katan 09-08-2011 10:02 AM

When I contacted them they were not helpful and did not admit to knowing about it. They also wanted me to send the axles back.
I declined their "help".

team3six 09-08-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katan (Post 3269823)
When I contacted them they were not helpful and did not admit to knowing about it. They also wanted me to send the axles back.
I declined their "help".

That's normal for Axial to ask for you to send them to them. They want to be sure that what your swaying is true and not just some buy requesting a free replacement because of something you may of done to it, like snap it or strip it.

In all honesty they don't know you from adam and it keeps their losses down which really can hurt a company.

RC4WDs did the same to me on a timbereolf chassis several years ago. And mike knows me.

rockspider 09-08-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullitrockcrawl (Post 3269608)
I did had the same problem.

I rebuild 3 wraith so far and all of them were the same on the short side of the axle.

What puzzle me, is that all 3 were built with the ring gear on the wrong side compare to the manual.

I bet Axial new about it;-)

Same to me! At first was wondering why it had the motor run reverse (clockwise) to go forward, then realized the rings had been reversed!
Combined with the other problems of way too loose screws everywhere (3 of 4 ring bolts totally loose!) translates to very poor factory assembling QC, at least the one I got!
When reassembled with ring gears on correct side and shimmed for right backlash, the gap of the lockout had increased. I disassembled again and after further measurements took the ring gear and carefully grinded (lowered a bit) the area where the axle flange seats against the ring gear. Now everything seats flush and no other problems arose. This needed to be done on rear only.

Katan 09-08-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by team3six (Post 3269854)
That's normal for Axial to ask for you to send them to them. They want to be sure that what your swaying is true and not just some buy requesting a free replacement because of something you may of done to it, like snap it or strip it.

In all honesty they don't know you from adam and it keeps their losses down which really can hurt a company.

RC4WDs did the same to me on a timbereolf chassis several years ago. And mike knows me.

I'm well aware of normal warranty/replacement procedure I sent several pics and I'm sure they know about the issue anyway.

team3six 09-08-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katan (Post 3270729)
I'm well aware of normal warranty/replacement procedure I sent several pics and I'm sure they know about the issue anyway.

Katan, I wasn't trying to upset you if you took offence to it. I was just simply stating that they are a smaller company that has done well for themselves by making sure the losses are not huge. In no means are they a Losi or AE

I would have to say the main reason for not only confirming that this is an issue but also to address the manufacturer making the parts for them. If losses are to occur and this problem is larger than a few bad deliveries, then they need to make necessary changes, ect.

I mean pictures are great but again, in what your asking. I could easily remove a fraction of the end which would change the point of catch. Meaning this would be a fault of yours and not a production issue.

I'm not pointing a finger and suggesting that, but you should see it from the point of view of an RC Manufacturer.

Anyway, I think your getting upset with my points. but I hope you get it resolved. good luck

Katan 09-08-2011 10:46 PM

I'm not upset, just replying....

Anyway, I agree with what you are saying except I never asked for anything, I just pointed it out. Also in this particular case I would not really be gaining anything by modifying a shaft and then asking for a replacement.