Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Getting back into R/c after 8 years- get a wraith?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Getting back into R/c after 8 years- get a wraith?

I'm wanting to venture back into r/c after about 8 years off, I used to have a Tlt-1, stampede, and a Monster pirate. I'm looking into getting a wraith now. I was also looking at a Tamiya Cr-01. Talk me into getting a Wraith. The thing that is kind of holding me back right now is the lack of body options because of the roll cage.

Also, what brushless kits are people using with this truck? I've never used brushless and don't know anything about it.

Thanks for the input.
strap624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Having both, the Wraith is cheaper, stronger, comes with electronic and probably has more after market support already.

Motor wise?, depends what you wish to do with it.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Mostly bashing through the desert here in AZ, and climbing steep trails, over rocks ect.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

My preference of speed controllers is the Mamba Max Pro. Does brushed or brushless up to 6s lipos (25 volts) and adjustable timing curves with the software and cable for a PC. Many seem to like 13.5 turn brushless 540 size motors on 3s lipo. I went with a Tekin 550 size sc4x 7.5 turn.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Go wight the Wraith, it's a blast. Check out Holmes Hobbies esc and his brushed motors. I have a 13t and love it!
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

IMO get an Axial Honcho. its more fun than my wraith, plus I break some thing on my wraith every time i drive it.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Initially I really was looking at a "scale" crawler, but watching videos on youtube and such they don't look like they have the capability a crawler with 5.5" tires has, but then again I don't know i've never had either. I ran into that issue with the TLT-1 as well, smallish tires not much capability.

Last edited by strap624; 08-29-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by strap624 View Post
Initially I really was looking at a "scale" crawler, but watching videos on youtube and such they don't look like they have the capability a crawler with 5.5" tires has, but then again I don't know i've never had either. I ran into that issue with the TLT-1 as well, smallish tires not much capability.
The Wraith will be the center of the aftermarket for quite awhile. The body options will definitely start to come I'm sure. Proline can't be far behind.

A 13.5 brushless from Tekin would be an easy drop in for you.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
20K Club

Oh an I had the CR-01. I never once was happy that I had it.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

"scale" crawlers can be capable, but generally not out of the box. Their something you work at and improve yourself usually requiring more money. But it will always be a comprimise between scale looks and performance.

Competition crawler are another level. Performance above all else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
IMO get an Axial Honcho. its more fun than my wraith, plus I break some thing on my wraith every time i drive it.
Another option, but apples to oranges in my view. Hop up a SCX10 to compare with the Wraith and you'll be breaking the same parts.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Even scalers can be plenty capable of crawling with the "real" crawlers. Just depends on the mods you do to it.
List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Looking at those brushless kits now, now I remember why I got out of r/c and sold my stuff. too much $$$ for the good stuff!
Old 08-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Looking at those brushless kits now, now I remember why I got out of r/c and sold my stuff. too much $$$ for the good stuff!
you could get something like the older mamba max with the 5700kv mamba motor and run it on 3s lipo, it wont be the latest and greatest brushless setup out there but its darn solid and very cheap nowadays.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
you could get something like the older mamba max with the 5700kv mamba motor and run it on 3s lipo, it wont be the latest and greatest brushless setup out there but its darn solid and very cheap nowadays.
And WAY too fast for a Wraith, even the 4600 is too fast.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Had a play with a Wraith the other day, very very disappointed.

Doesn't bash well, doesn't crawl well, doesn't really look scale.

It got to the stage where my mate (the owner) ended up using my Blitz instead as it just kept falling over.

I think if your expectations are extremely low, and you like the look of this type of scale car, then it might be worth trying one out.

I would highly recommend trying one in your local hobby shop before buying though as it's really a severely compromised design that does nothing well.
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I like the wraith so much I am thinking about a second one, to keep basically stock and let friends and my 10 year old try and keep up with mine! It really is the most fun I've had with an RC.
Billybongo63 is offline   Reply With Quote