Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: What Powers Your Wraith?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #101
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Billybongo63 Wrote:

Stock CC ESC (excellent ESC for beginners)
CC bec
5000mah 3c lipo
stock motor for now
the 13t Crawl master seems like a popular choice here,

Newb question= how are the 13t HH motors comparing to stock as far as sacrificing speed for torque? i have all of johns stuff in my LNC and i love it. im ready to pull the trigger on a new motor and i love the speed of this thing but i want more low end torque and more control over it. suggestions?

also, the drag brake function seems sub par to me. is this due to the quality of the motor or will this improve with a lower turn motor?

John H. Replied:

The quality of the motor does limit the drag, as does the tall gearing.

The 13t is right there with the stock motor on speed, maybe a hair less. It has more torque. If you want more speed than stock then a 12 or 11t is a better bet, but at the same time you will need to gear down on 3s to prevent overheating the motor with 5000mah runs. I'm still trying to figure out the good balance for it all, no matter how much I test there is always more than one opinion with importance.
John, you say that the 13t Crawlmaster is about equal to the stock Wratih motor, which Torquemaster (# of turns) would be about equal?

My Wraith is intended as an all around play rig, not so much of a crawler (I have a dedicated crawler already). I'd like a bit more wheel speed (~20%) yet still have some low end crawling ability when I want it.

To help me with my decision I'm trying to understand how to compare the performance of the Crawlmaster and Torquemaster motors. For example, what would be the difference between a 20t Crawlmaster and 20t Torquemaster motor?

Thanks...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #102
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcBro View Post
Hey Guys, looking for some setup help.

Specs
Motor:Tekin 17.5
ESC: Mamba Max Pro
Servo: Hitec 5955TG
External BEC: Castle
Lipo: Cheap 2200mah 3s Turnigy

I was under the impression that with this combination I'd have a considerable amount of wheel speed over the stock setup. So far that is not the case. I cannot even get the truck to wheelie lol.

I first tried a 19/80 gearing. Thinking the gearing was to low, I tried 22/80 and now get cogging at low crawl speeds.

I've tried several different MMP settings, different timing, different RPM boost settings etc.. I'm getting nowhere. A buddy is telling me its the MMP. But it seems some are having great success with the MMP.

If anyone is running this setup, I'd love to see what you are running on your MMP settings and the gearing you have selected. I just feel this setup should rock and it simply does not. Thanks for any help!
Motor endbell set to 0(clockwise) 40 degrees timing in cheat mode, advance from 5000 to15000 rpm.
Have you tried extremes back to back? Like 0 timing then 40 degress? Have you changed the start power? What c rating is your battery?
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #103
Pebble Pounder

I put a Titan 21t in with stock esc and run it on 3cell. Was at The Crawl Space the other night and ran a 4cell no problem. Fast too!!!
Joe Bonkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #104
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJeeper91 View Post
Per the HH web site, the above motors are rated at:

11t Crawlmaster = 2675 kv
17t Torquemaster = 3753 rpm/v

Did you mistakingly put 3753 kv for the 17t Torquemaster or is the following relationship true?

rpm/v = kv

New to this so I'm trying to get a basic understanding of motors.

Thanks...
Yes. kv is the same as rpm per volt.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
coryshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #105
Quarry Creeper

does anyone run the stock esc on 3s with a 35t motor?

I have a tekin 35t laying here and i think that it would provide more speed and stock than the stock setup on 2s. (of course i would use a BEC not to fry the stock esc)
Daddydancool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #106
Rock Crawler

Changed my trusty speed600 out for an LRP vector K4 8,5t sensored BL(4300kv)on an AI-ESC.
Gearing : 18/80. Pretty Quick. Have to check it with my GPS, but 30 km/h seems about correct.
The vector also doesn't get very hot.
Works remarkably well. It even survived speeding through large puddles and marshy grassland. Call me surprised.

It will crawl....for a bit, but I mostly jump& gun it. It'l do a nice bit of " throttle-bunny-hopping" over sandpiles and rocks.

I DID replace the front spool with an HPI differential. It helped tremendously when traversing tight slaloms. It is also more stable on the straights.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #107
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
Changed my trusty speed600 out for an LRP vector K4 8,5t sensored BL(4300kv)on an AI-ESC.
Gearing : 18/80. Pretty Quick. Have to check it with my GPS, but 30 km/h seems about correct.
The vector also doesn't get very hot.
Works remarkably well. It even survived speeding through large puddles and marshy grassland. Call me surprised.

It will crawl....for a bit, but I mostly jump& gun it. It'l do a nice bit of " throttle-bunny-hopping" over sandpiles and rocks.

I DID replace the front spool with an HPI differential. It helped tremendously when traversing tight slaloms. It is also more stable on the straights.
Which diff did you use?
spunkysandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #108
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickabob View Post
Or I can order something from you and save this for another day
what would you suggest I run 3cell most of the time and could keep the cc esc? thanks
I would suggest something cheap! If you want something from me, a 27t Torquemaster sport would be a good ticket. If you want cheaper, then a Traxxas titan motor would be good.

Quote:
Hey Guys, looking for some setup help.

Specs
Motor:Tekin 17.5
ESC: Mamba Max Pro
Servo: Hitec 5955TG
External BEC: Castle
Lipo: Cheap 2200mah 3s Turnigy

I was under the impression that with this combination I'd have a considerable amount of wheel speed over the stock setup. So far that is not the case. I cannot even get the truck to wheelie lol.

I first tried a 19/80 gearing. Thinking the gearing was to low, I tried 22/80 and now get cogging at low crawl speeds.

I've tried several different MMP settings, different timing, different RPM boost settings etc.. I'm getting nowhere. A buddy is telling me its the MMP. But it seems some are having great success with the MMP.

If anyone is running this setup, I'd love to see what you are running on your MMP settings and the gearing you have selected. I just feel this setup should rock and it simply does not. Thanks for any help!
My gut feeling is that you are pushing the battery too hard. Does it get warm? Otherwise I would agree that you need to ensure timing is zero on the motor and advance is in the ESC. You should be pretty close to the stock setup with low timing advance. For a ton more speed a 13.5 motor is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJeeper91 View Post
John, you say that the 13t Crawlmaster is about equal to the stock Wratih motor, which Torquemaster (# of turns) would be about equal?

My Wraith is intended as an all around play rig, not so much of a crawler (I have a dedicated crawler already). I'd like a bit more wheel speed (~20%) yet still have some low end crawling ability when I want it.

To help me with my decision I'm trying to understand how to compare the performance of the Crawlmaster and Torquemaster motors. For example, what would be the difference between a 20t Crawlmaster and 20t Torquemaster motor?

Thanks...

A TorqueMaster sport in 27t or a Pro in 25t would be about the same speed as stock. The Crawlmaster motors and TorqueMaster motors are a bit different in construction, this is why the turns are not at all the same. The 20t CM will be much slower than the 20t TM build.

Keeping all else equal between the CM and TM (so comparing a 13t cm to a 27t TM) the CM motor is much smoother on the low end and more efficient at slow speeds. It also has less passive drag brake. The TM build has slightly higher punch off the line and efficiency at top speeds. the TM has better drag brake too. In a Wraith, just decide whether you want punch or if you want super smooth startup. Most feedback I am getting is saying that the CM build is much more suitable since the additional torque and drag of the TM is really not needed for bashing the wraith.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #109
RcBros Hobbies

Motor is set to 0* and timing is done through programming. Temps are not
Even Luke warm. I will try a better battery tonight and see what the results are.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #110
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Motor is set to 0* and timing is done through programming. Temps are not
Even Luke warm. I will try a better battery tonight and see what the results are.
Also try unplugging the sensor harness. If nothing changes, it may help track down the problem.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #111
Rock Crawler

@spunky:
I used the innards of the diff off my mini-trophy. HPI partnr. 86014 it is a direct fit instead of the spool.(which I, basically wrecked with the VECTOR, the little lugs that keep it from spinning in the diff-housing disintegrated, as it seems to do for many...)

Last edited by Jay-Em; 10-25-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #112
Pebble Pounder

Just ordered the HH torquemaster sport 27t. What timing should I run for stock esc and 2/3s lipo?
spunkysandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #113

7950's f & r
mmp
hr alum trans and spur
10.5 turn ballistic
1350 3s/ 2200 4s
hyintensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #114

HH brxl
HH 20t crawl master team edition
87/16 48p gears
CC bec
Hitec 7955tg
4000mah 25c 2S traxxas battery

Mine stays in the rocks and this set up has been awesome, John your stuff has really impressed me.

Last edited by JMiller2065; 10-29-2011 at 06:48 PM.
JMiller2065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #115
I joined the Band!

mine has a brood 30 t,hi tec 7950 servo,stock esc on 2 cell 7.4 500 mah lipo works awesome
chevytrucks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #116
Pebble Pounder

HH BR-XL
HH Crawlmaster 13t 2012 team edition (so smoooooooth)
Hitec 7950TH
CC BEC
4500mah 6cell NiMH

Want to upgrade to LiPo but have heard 2s ain't much different then 6cell and since I'm mainly crawling and trailing I wonder if there is really any need for 3s?

Anybody give me any insight to the true difference?
troutbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #117
Rock Stacker

I bought the kit and haven't settled on a final motor/esc combo so for now my Orion 19T BB motor and XL-5 ESC that used to be in my Slash are installed...and I much admit it actually works well on 2S...only downside is no drag brake and I have to run a 4 AA pack to the receiver since the XL-5 BEC won't handle my ~400oz-in servo. Will probably go with the HH ESC and a HH motor...
ClaySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #118

HH 35t tm expert stock esc Robinson racing 87t spur and 16t Pinion (48p) on a 4500 nimh battery. may upgrade to lipo soon.
moik145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #119
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum View Post
HH BR-XL
HH Crawlmaster 13t 2012 team edition (so smoooooooth)
Hitec 7950TH
CC BEC
4500mah 6cell NiMH

Want to upgrade to LiPo but have heard 2s ain't much different then 6cell and since I'm mainly crawling and trailing I wonder if there is really any need for 3s?

Anybody give me any insight to the true difference?
In my experience 2s lipo feels about like 7 cell nimh. A little more punch and the level of power in the lipo stays high right to the end instead of the constant steady decline from start to finish with the nimh. So maybe it just *feels* like the 2s has more power. As for 3s.. You're right it isn't really needed for crawling and trail running, but it's nice to have when you need it.. I rarely go beyond 1/4 throttle when I'm hitting the hiking trails, but when I need it the extra grunt is appreciated. Of course it makes the packs a little bigger and heavier and slightly more expensive..
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #120
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
In my experience 2s lipo feels about like 7 cell nimh. A little more punch and the level of power in the lipo stays high right to the end instead of the constant steady decline from start to finish with the nimh. So maybe it just *feels* like the 2s has more power. As for 3s.. You're right it isn't really needed for crawling and trail running, but it's nice to have when you need it.. I rarely go beyond 1/4 throttle when I'm hitting the hiking trails, but when I need it e extra grunt is appreciated. Of course it makes the packs a little bigger and heavier and slightly more expensive..
Thanks for the response. Maybe since I have the NiMh's charger already I'll try a 7 cell.
troutbum is offline   Reply With Quote