Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Another wraith.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 01:36 AM   #21
Rock Stacker

Nice bild
Rc Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #22
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiEzel View Post
What the hell happened ?
Strong finger...
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

I'm looking at ordering the same Vanquish rims you have on Wraith but I am not sure which wheel width to order. Which one are you running? And am I correct that you are running the .225 hubs? Thanks for your help.
txrenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by txrenegade View Post
I'm looking at ordering the same Vanquish rims you have on Wraith but I am not sure which wheel width to order. Which one are you running? And am I correct that you are running the .225 hubs? Thanks for your help.
I'm running the 1" wide version, And your correct - .225 Hub's.. Seems like some have had rubbing issues with the .225's - but i have none. So ? Lol. Seems like the next size up is popular.
DiEzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info. And since I am here asking questions, let me ask you another one. I see you are running the lowering kit on yours. At full compression on mine, the top of the servo arm is hitting the very front cross-member of the frame. Does yours tuck inside of it? Seems like with a lowered truck, it would limit it quite a bit.
txrenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by txrenegade View Post
Thanks for the info. And since I am here asking questions, let me ask you another one. I see you are running the lowering kit on yours. At full compression on mine, the top of the servo arm is hitting the very front cross-member of the frame. Does yours tuck inside of it? Seems like with a lowered truck, it would limit it quite a bit.
Yup. Mine tucks under.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Chop, Cut , Throw money at it.

Had John cut me some Delrin ring's for my SLW's. Dig the look - just need some more hardware.

Also did some cage cutting, Used 106mm link's. Look's OK. Lil' bit more jeepish.

Last edited by DiEzel; 10-13-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:35 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Those V6's looked wicked cool with the delrin rings...
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:48 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

That is sick with the rear wheels steer....the wheels look even better as well. Nice work.
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #30
RCC Addict

So there is also a little back story as to why i purchased these rings aswell. See my SLW's for whatever reason kept shitting beads every 1-2 packs. I thought.. "Ok, Maybe a different ring will bite the bead a little harder, and i can change up the look a bit."

Well, Here i am after my first weekend with the new rings.. Still shitting beads. Bout tired of reseating em after every 1-2 packs, Let alone im sure the tire beads are loving life by now.

Yes, The hardware is tight, Yes the bead is correctly in the groove. This isn't my first set of beadlocks (I've purchased 9 pairs of SLW's, as well as lots of other various wheels) and ive never, ever had this problem... And sure, My rig's got some horsepower - But most the time im watching the bead rip out on a nice slow tight turn when the bead has a bunch of load.

Here's some pictures, 1 with each ring (I wont include all 16 pictures of the beads) Aswell as the Ripsaw bead, and SLW bead... But - I'd like to make it very, very clear it happens with Both R35's and Swampers. Inner, and Outer beads. It looks like the wheel's bead groove is to large.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #31
RCC Addict

sweet wraith, i cant wait to start building mine.
rangercat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Well that is a bit unsettling...I have a set of slws on the way. I bought them becausee the xr10 wheels I tried are NOT going to cut it. Man I hope they seat like my old DHs
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #33
RCC Addict

What is the bead width on the wheel. I am sure someone from VP will weigh in on if it is correct.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #34
20K Club

Mounted up a set the other day and had no issue at all. Even when at high RPM I didn't lose a bead. Very weird.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #35
Sometimes, I make things.

My guess would be the tolerance on the wheels is a little off frrom the area where the ring will bottom out, and the surface that pushes on the inside of your tire bead against the outer ring (I hope that makes sense). I have had this on other wheels but not any of my VP wheels, but it is machining, these things happen.

I would try to take a nice fresh and flat pc of sandpaper, like 220-300 grit, and lay it on the most solid, flat surface you can find, like a plate of steel or very smooth and hard wood, just make sure the surface is perfectly flat, as well as your sandpaper,, and sand down the face of the wheel itself, where the ring bottoms out and the holes are tapped. Try sanding about .005 or so off (about the thicknes of a pc of paper) and try that out and if it still spits beads, sand a little more off until it clamps them tight. I had to do this on some delrin beadlocks I had and one set of aluminum wheels. Just make sure you won't hit the surface of your wheels spokes, I haven't had any V6 SLW's so I don't know if the surface I am telling you to sannd is flush, above or below that area, just check it on a flat surface and see if the tapped face sits farther out than your spokes, if the spokes sit out too far, you may need to use a lathe and a turn tool to get the same effect..
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Mounted up a set the other day and had no issue at all. Even when at high RPM I didn't lose a bead. Very weird.
That's what i said, Having owned others sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
My guess would be the tolerance on the wheels is a little off frrom the area where the ring will bottom out, and the surface that pushes on the inside of your tire bead against the outer ring (I hope that makes sense). I have had this on other wheels but not any of my VP wheels, but it is machining, these things happen.

I would try to take a nice fresh and flat pc of sandpaper, like 220-300 grit, and lay it on the most solid, flat surface you can find, like a plate of steel or very smooth and hard wood, just make sure the surface is perfectly flat, as well as your sandpaper,, and sand down the face of the wheel itself, where the ring bottoms out and the holes are tapped. Try sanding about .005 or so off (about the thicknes of a pc of paper) and try that out and if it still spits beads, sand a little more off until it clamps them tight. I had to do this on some delrin beadlocks I had and one set of aluminum wheels. Just make sure you won't hit the surface of your wheels spokes, I haven't had any V6 SLW's so I don't know if the surface I am telling you to sannd is flush, above or below that area, just check it on a flat surface and see if the tapped face sits farther out than your spokes, if the spokes sit out too far, you may need to use a lathe and a turn tool to get the same effect..
Oh i understand its machining and it happens,like i said this isn't my first set of beadlocks. And i sure as hell am not gonna sand/lathe my wheels to make the bead not rip out.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #37
Sometimes, I make things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiEzel View Post
Oh i understand its machining and it happens,like i said this isn't my first set of beadlocks. And i sure as hell am not gonna sand/lathe my wheels to make the bead not rip out.

Then you might need to find some tires with thicker beads, or get different wheels, they wont fix themselves.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
Then you might need to find some tires with thicker beads, or get different wheels, they wont fix themselves.
So the solution to fix my already expensive wheels is to spend more money, orrrrr even more money ? I dont think so...
Old 10-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

thats a bit strange... ever thought of running loctite on the beads then clamping them down? i had the same problem with my scx10 1.9's. it seemed to work pretty good, and its not to bad to remove. I use it on my output shaft for the pinion to stay in place, takes side cutters to remove.

great looking build by the way! id love to sink tons into my truck, i need to sell my slash and summit first. I want to dedicate my RC fun to crawling and helicopters.

Next on my list is a scale warn winch, winch plate, forward battery mount and a metal steering setup. the steering ill make, i think i found a nice easy way.
OntarioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #40
RCC Addict

I would not use loctite on bead screws hell they strip easy enough as it is.. If thats the problem which I don't think it is use silicone it works great and breaks free as easy as without but holds great.. I believe you have a set of wheels with some machining error it happens. I'd get with vp and find a solution I'm sure they'd be more than happy to work with ya

J-bird
j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote