Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Effect of clocking chubs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Effect of clocking chubs?

I'm having a clearance issue between my drag link and rim. I'm thinking clocking the chub forward a notch or two might help. What's the practical effect of this going to be on the steering geometry? Looks like three positions are available with the splines between the axles/chubs, with the oem setting on mine having the hubs rotated back as far as possible. What's the thinking on this adjustability?

Hubs/axles/links are Vanquish, if that makes any difference. Wheels are still stock.
JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
I'm having a clearance issue between my drag link and rim... Wheels are still stock.
to be honest you answered your own question and your answer is you need a different offset wheels!
m0d3ds1ash45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks! So clearance is the only reason to clock on this vehicle? I've now got the hubs in the middle position, and I may have gained a little, but not enough to clear the drag link. I'll try all the way forward, but it looks like new wheels may indeed be what I need.

Anyone else have this problem with the Wraith and stock wheels w/ Vanquish link and hub/axle upgrades?

Any wheel suggestions that have more offset and aren't too spendy?
JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Any wheel suggestions that have more offset and aren't too spendy?
your welcome...i found this problem only because i didnt like how axial had there steering geometry on my buddys wraith...did alot of studying and alot of reading and heres what i came up with...i took apart the stock axial tie bar and drag link then i snipped where the drag link mounted to the tie bar then i extended the drag link to the knuckle thats where i came to the conclusion that i need to find a wider offset wheel to clear knuckle where the tie bar and drag link connected to the knuckle and i ended up using stock 2.2 axial rockster beadlocks!
m0d3ds1ash45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
XDR
Pebble Pounder

Here is what Axial states about the steering being clocked at the way it is:

The front axle steering geometry is engineered for high speed performance with close attention to maximum pivot angle, minimal scrub, adjustable castor and Ackerman set as close to 0-degrees as possible. This geometry theory achieves a desired tight turning radius with locked differentials and better steering control at high speeds.
XDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

yes I had clearance issues when I went to Vanquish C-hubs (because of the high steer design). I found some nice max offset, narrow plastic wheels with aluminum beadlocks for 40 dollars through RC4WD and RPP. This widened the care nearly 1 inch and eliminated any rubbing. And so far I have not stripped the wheels running 3S. I try to keep them tight and check frequently.
Bronco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote