Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Speedweigand's Wraith, official build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Speedweigand's Wraith, official build thread

Hi everybody,
Check out my videos and pics...

Wraith video playlist
Axial Wraith videos - YouTube
Pics
https://picasaweb.google.com/Speedwe...eat=directlink

Cheers
Speed

Here's the goods
Nickname: Ole' Blue the Rock Smurfer
Traxxas VXL-3s motor and esc, clapped out mod
Gearing 14-20/87, 16/87 is my "go to" general purpose gearing
5000mah 2S or 4000mah 3S, IMO 3S at 100% on the VXL is like rock crawling with a top fuel dragster, it's reverse that always gets me I need a little but get alot
Stock diff gears, JB Welded front diff, 43/13 HD gears in the spares box on standby
Castle BEC
Homemade steering and 4 links with Revo ends, shortened wheelbase approx 15mm
Homemade aluminum body
Custom tonneau cover
CKRC (Hot Racing) Aluminum knuckles and C-hubs
Toward Pro MG946R @ 7volts
Hot Racing 120mm shocks w/custom mounts Frts 30wt/RRs 25wt
Robinson Racing gears in transmission
Axle Toobz
Driveshaft Toobz
Super Swampers on air with airsoft pellets mounted on Axial 8holes for crawlin, why? partially stripped the hex during the hillclimb video above
Super Swampers w/stk memory foams mounted on CAC's for scaling
Proline G8 Hammers w/memory foam mounted on RPM Revolver crawler wheels, wide offset for stupidity not suited for the Swampers

Last edited by Speedweigand; 10-27-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: updated mod list
Speedweigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Some pics

From

From

From Wraith

From Wraith

From Wraith

From Wraith

Last edited by Speedweigand; 09-29-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Fixed pic links
Old 09-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

nice pics it look like you are got a lot of fun with this !!!
k20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

welcome to the site....looks like your def getting use of ur wraith
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys , tonight I changed my steering. I was going to cut off the XR side of the knuckles, then I decided just to use them.
From Wraith

From Wraith

Seems to handle better at speed and crawls just as good so far, I only had @15 minutes to test in the dark. Tomorrow I'll run a couple of packs through it. I remember ackerman being a good thing, not sure why I would want 0... here's a good read I found after I started questioning the cut-off wheel.
http://www.rc-truckncar-tuning.com/ackerman.html
Old 09-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
RCC Addict

[QUOTE=Speedweigand;3303675]
From

I love that first pic. Not sure what it is about it, but I like it. I also like that you beat the snot out of it and take those pics. Too many pics of shiny rigs out there
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=wrightcs77;3306064]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedweigand View Post
From

I love that first pic. Not sure what it is about it, but I like it. I also like that you beat the snot out of it and take those pics. Too many pics of shiny rigs out there
X2...not meant to be shinny and clean..
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Looks as though we share multiple interests! Nice ride. Any chance of getting ideas on how you made the body parts? What did you cut the alum. with?
troutbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Many thanks guys, I love that first pic too, it's the background on my phone! I think it almost looks real, and her arm flew up like that during one of the rollovers before that shot, I didn't stage it.

For the record it's easy to get great pics when you take them from HD video!

Troutbum It's ten thousandths aluminum I had laying around for roof flashing, it's roughly twice as thick as a soda can. I cut it with a combination; x-acto blade, utility knife, lexan scissors and regular large scissors. Do you knife work on a nice cutting pad. FWIW I stumbled upon some metal "for sale" signs in my garage last night, they would probably work good for the material in a pinch. I used an Amp can at first...
From Wraith

From Wraith

I used the pencil holder on my drafting table and a ruler to bend the straight lines, as far as dimensioning goes I sorta just roll on the fly, years of fab work make things like that hood just happen, sometimes I even surprise myself. I was just trying ideas and was really happy with what I got for a first go.

What I can tell you is my general method.
**** First be careful! it's thin metal and WILL slice the sh*t out of you.****
1 Cut for the length of the hood first, give er take 5 3/4", trim to 9-10" wide for now
2 Transfer your holes from the axial hood with a sharpie to your aluminum
3 Measure between the holes and establish a centerline, I make mine perpendicular to the windshield side of the hood, you want to be accurate here... important if going for bends/contours in the hood. FYI if you bend the hood your holes will need to be adjusted for the distance lost by the bends
4 Drill your holes, be exact!
5 Mount your excessively wide hood and bend the sides around, use your sharpie and draw the shape you want where it overlaps the side panels
6 I use the curved lexan scissors to trim the alum along the chassis tubing with it on the vehicle, I also use a socket to roll/slide along the edge of the hood to roll the edge a bit
7 Remove the hood and finish your cuts where you sharpie'd earlier
8 Finish sand the edges with 80-120 grit, it sands fast so pay attention, wrap sandpaper around your sharpie, broom handle, dog or whatever for sanding curves
9 It's real easy to ruin the panels off the truck, once they are on however they hold up well.
10 Sit back and marvel at your creation for 10minutes or so, paint, and go try and break it, rinse and repeat...

For my next paint scheme I have a bitchin' Foff style, almost ridiculously big hood scoop. I figure it'll last about 2 good rolls so the camera will have to be running for it's debut.

On the topic my templates are at a machine shop hopefully getting ready to be cut, I'll have steel or alum, standard kit will include the boring hood described above, side panels with integrated front inner fenders, bikini roof panel and rear filler piece. Custom hoods by request of course, and to make the boring hood better Foff style scoop options...

From Wraith

From Wraith

Happy building!
Old 10-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default Build update

I'm really liking the XR sides of the knuckles with ackerman, handles better, still crawls fine

I fixed a broken bumper mount
From Wraith

From Wraith

My buddy blew out his front locker so I JB welded mine as preventative maintenance, a little heat helps the goo get in those hard to reach places
From Wraith

I stripped the center gear in the tranny, I replaced both plastic gears with Robinson Racing, forgot to take the after pic
From Wraith

I retired my original rear driveshaft
From Wraith

I broke the front axle, link to the thread
So who's broken an axle housing?

Made some toobz for my new axles
From Wraith

Shopping spree part 1, must add RPP is as awesome as they say!
From Wraith

I used to think these were bling but my plastic wore away to nothing
From Wraith

I thought the VP cover be thicker... I was planning on running it on the front, but now it's on the rear
From Wraith
I wish it had the ridge all the way around the inside too. I'm diggin the RC4WD drive one though. Its beefy and gives better clearance, cheaper too!
From Wraith
From Wraith

Old 10-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

New shoes, CAC's with some fresh swampers
From Wraith

Required flex shots
From Wraith

From Wraith

From Wraith

Ride height
From Wraith

Race tires
From Wraith

Swapped the top bar around, I saw it on here somewhere, not my idea
From Wraith

Newer links using the XR side
From Wraith

From Wraith

Painted light covers
From Wraith

Battery connection
From Wraith

Straight links
From Wraith

From Wraith

Safety first!
From Wraith

Think it's bad there's pieces of my ring gear missing?
From Wraith
Old 10-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Last but not least, after I yardsaled my front axle at the track, my friends vagina swelled up and wouldn't run his there. When we got back to my house I think he was feeling bad that his wasn't broke, so we shot a new "Stupid Wraith Tricks!" video starring Matgyver's Wraith and my dog Turd.

Seems like my Crawler World just brings out the worst in people

I'd like to get more people over to try and break their sh*t, so if you live near Columbus Ohio and want to maybe break your sh*t at my house, hit me up!

Last edited by Speedweigand; 10-29-2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added part 1
Old 10-27-2011, 01:39 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Default New hood

From Wraith

From Wraith

From Wraith

From Wraith

From Wraith

From Wraith

From Wraith

From Wraith

From Wraith

From Wraith

From Wraith

From Wraith
Old 10-27-2011, 02:02 AM   #14

Awsome setup you have there!

love the metal work on it too!!
fantomphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:48 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

A word on my stickers
RPP Awesome service and timeliness. Items shipped the same day they were ordered, emails were responded to quickly with honest answers, 100% recommend RPP RPP Hobby | Radio Controlled Cars, Trucks, Boats, Helis, Planes, Plastic Models

TCS Crawlers Exchanged about 8 emails with the poor guy to see if he had any extras of a couple of things laying around that didn't make inventory. Courteous and helpful, order also shipped same day priority mail for $9.95, had my stuff in 2 days! 100% would buy from again. Only problem they didn't see any stickers RC Rock Crawlers - TCS Crawlers

CKRC I called, emailed, sent a note with my paypal, and on the order form to please contact me before shipping as I wanted to add to my order but had a few questions... no response ever. Paid for 3 day express so I'd have my toys for the weekend, they shipped the following Monday. No stickers either. This was just my experience and your mileage may vary CKRC Crawlers, RC Rock Crawlers

Proline I've been making small donations to Proline for over 20 years, besides lopsided foams in 1 of my pairs of Swampers I've had no real problems. On the roof rack and accessories I'm pretty sure somebody was sticking fingers in my O-ring on the pricing but I still own 'em

RPM Never had a problem with them in 20 years either. Their proprietary blend of whatever is tough as nails, I never realized how strong it was til I saw it in action on my Baja 5T.

RC4WD I haven't ordered from them yet, they did respond to email in rather timely fashion. I'm super pleased with the ARB diff cover.

Castle Does anybody else even make BEC's lol

CAC Wheels these may be the greatest! Easy to assemble, easy to change track widths, aluminum drive hexes. I may have to buy a spare set I like them so much.

Axial If the Wraith would have came with some beadlocks I think I may be able to overlook all the other oversights. Even glued, weighted, and w/memory foam would have been a fair option, but out of the box it sucked. For the first month I wished I'd a bought a Honcho. Now that I've thrown a bunch of $$$ that I wasn't planning on spending at it it's all better. RTR ready-to-rebuild... I guess seeing how crazy indestructible the rest of the RC market has gotten I expected a better out of the box experience. I'd rather have paid 500$ for it and had it come with the knuckles, c-hubs, links, and etc... and had a blast out of the box, but that's just my $.02

Hot Racing The quality is what I expected for the price, I'm liking their 120mm shocks after the first week. One of my shocks wouldn't extend all the way, but after some deburring it's much better. I don't see that it's effected the performance that much having an 118mm shock and three 120's. For 22$ I should have just ordered 3 pair and had some spare parts for the price of 2 good shocks. I'm not saying I'd run them on an 8th scale buggy, but for a scaler/crawler I'm not scared.
I've absolutely abused their knuckles and c-hubs, may have to pick up the sway bar kit for my trips to the short course track. I'd really like to try the rear one, should help it slide instead of rolling in the high traction corners. Drifting I can work with, rolling doesn't leave me with much
Old 10-27-2011, 02:48 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomphish View Post
Awsome setup you have there!

love the metal work on it too!!
Thank you sir!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Before
From Crawler World, my backyard TTC course

Added 100pounds of clay

After the water had settled

After 3 passes

The first video

Last edited by Speedweigand; 10-27-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Moar pics!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Nice VideoLooks Fun....
Bcampisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #19

How's running the Ackerman in reserve working out? Was reading somewhere else on this forum its not advisable... Seems like a good idea to me to do it
fantomphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I won't be going back to 0 that's for sure. I guess if you spent your days on the rocks then 0 is a good thing, but if your actually driving it around then Ackerman's probably going to be useful. Marketing at it's finest

Idk for sure but I swear it turns tighter now (smaller circles) but I don't see how lol, and it does seem to be easier to keep upright at higher speeds. The ackerman increases predictability and made it less twitchy.

RcTek - Radio Controlled Model Car Handling - The Ackerman Steering Principle

Tags
axial, speedweigand, wraith