Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Drive Shafts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Wraith Drive Shafts

I am probably going to get told to check the beginners guide or something but I have searched and don't see many options and want to know what all is out there. I am in the market for new drive shafts again for my Wraith. I went through stock ones everytime I went out so I tried some MIP shafts for the AX10 they didn't last long before they had all kinds of slack in them so I tried RC4WD punisher shafts which seem to hold up except they aren't pin through and I want pin through. I am useing the double female with a male in the middle made from stock shafts right now which seems to be the best yet but they are starting to twist and the male does have aluminum rod through it to strengthen it. I have heard that some of the Traxxas shafts will work but you have to drill out the end to the right size but all the ones I have tried so far have either been to short or the holes to mount them up are to big before drilling to make them round. Any help and part #'s would be very helpful. I am sure I am not the only one this will help out. Thanks
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #2

I use the RC4WD punisher shafts and also wanted the pin thru, so I just drilled through the other side of the punisher shafts and used the stock axial pins. Works great.
Supercomputer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have the punisher shafts as well and I used a set of pins from.the scx10 that are used to mount the rock sliders. Just grind them down a bit so they sit flush in the shaft and you got yourself a pin. . . They don't go all the way through
Chappy4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I just ordered the CKRC shafts. They looked good.
strap624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by strap624 View Post
I just ordered the CKRC shafts. They looked good.
Post up what you think of them, once you get them.
Stburr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stburr91 View Post
Post up what you think of them, once you get them.
x2 they do look good and there isn't much modding needed.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Well, I wont be THAT guy thats gonna tell ya to look around, because that'd be to easy... right ? So here ya go.

MIP C-Drive Spline Set for Axial AX10 Scorpion (2)

Traxxas 4x13mm Screw Pins [TRA5189] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies

Quite a few rigs using those..And uhm. No modding i guess ? And yes, They fit... "BUT OMGZ THEIR FOR THE AX10 OMGZ" They fit.
DiEzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Default shaft fix

C.I. 4340 steel - Axial Trans Outputs for Maxx Shafts get the long for the front of trannny.

one pair 0f 4927x yokes for axle side. one 4928x for front of transmission. one 4927x for back of transmision. One set of 4951x shafts trimmed to fit.

if it holds up for the T-MAXX 2.5 it'll hold up on a Wraith. Mine still look new.
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm0688 View Post
C.I. 4340 steel - Axial Trans Outputs for Maxx Shafts get the long for the front of trannny.

one pair 0f 4927x yokes for axle side. one 4928x for front of transmission. one 4927x for back of transmision. One set of 4951x shafts trimmed to fit.

if it holds up for the T-MAXX 2.5 it'll hold up on a Wraith. Mine still look new.
My tmaxx yoke hasn't failed yet, but hole for the cross joint is twice the size after 10 4s packs. My votes for mip's for the long run.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiEzel View Post
Well, I wont be THAT guy thats gonna tell ya to look around, because that'd be to easy... right ? So here ya go.

MIP C-Drive Spline Set for Axial AX10 Scorpion (2)

Traxxas 4x13mm Screw Pins [TRA5189] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies

Quite a few rigs using those..And uhm. No modding i guess ? And yes, They fit... "BUT OMGZ THEIR FOR THE AX10 OMGZ" They fit.
I have tried MIP's in mine I said it in the first post and yes it does require some modding. Mine got all kinds of slop in them so I took them off.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by craddock35 View Post
I have tried MIP's in mine I said it in the first post and yes it does require some modding. Mine got all kinds of slop in them so I took them off.
Add some diff shim's (Should be checking them from the factory really) and your good to go. I've had ZERO problems and have a pro4 tekin on 3s. Zero issues.. And coming from a few year's of driving comp rig's - im rather hard on my rig's, and tend to put them in bind's, do wheelies, etc...
DiEzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

sKID IF YOUR T-Maxx shaft is wore out spend $7 an buy more. Thats what ya get for using a 550 motor. since talkin to ya i went with the tekin 13.5. saw you video and i was thinkin "holy crap"
Old 10-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
sKID IF YOUR T-Maxx shaft is wore out spend $7 an buy more. Thats what ya get for using a 550 motor. since talkin to ya i went with the tekin 13.5. saw you video and i was thinkin "holy crap"
Self inflicted, I know.

In the big picture it would be nice to see MIP's a bit longer for the wraith. I think they would benifit with a little more spline engagement.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid View Post
Self inflicted, I know.

In the big picture it would be nice to see MIP's a bit longer for the wraith. I think they would benifit with a little more spline engagement.

I bet that MIP will make a Wraith set eventually. I bough a pro4 for my Slash. Seems very similiar to the SCX4. I cant beleive the Wraith transmision holds up for you.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I bet that MIP will make a Wraith set eventually. I bough a pro4 for my Slash. Seems very similiar to the SCX4. I cant beleive the Wraith transmision holds up for you.
1st upgrade was steel idler and aluminum final gear before I ever plugged in a battery.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Just installed the CKRC shafts, they look great. I had a hell of a time getting the pins out of the output shafts on the tranny. It took me about 45 minutes but I finally got them out. First impression is that these things are heavy and solid. They seem very strong. One thing that happened though is that the way these are machined they leave a little more space between the end of the driveshaft and the diff housing. The bearing wiggled it's way out of the diff housing slightly. I guess I will put a little plastic washer between the driveshaft and the diff housing to prevent this. I'm getting some slop where they connect to the diffs. Not a rotational slop but an in out slop I think this is related to the issue I just stated before. I think the plastic washer will fix that too.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by strap624 View Post
Just installed the CKRC shafts, they look great. I had a hell of a time getting the pins out of the output shafts on the tranny. It took me about 45 minutes but I finally got them out. First impression is that these things are heavy and solid. They seem very strong. One thing that happened though is that the way these are machined they leave a little more space between the end of the driveshaft and the diff housing. The bearing wiggled it's way out of the diff housing slightly. I guess I will put a little plastic washer between the driveshaft and the diff housing to prevent this. I'm getting some slop where they connect to the diffs. Not a rotational slop but an in out slop I think this is related to the issue I just stated before. I think the plastic washer will fix that too.
Let us know how they hold up and post some pics of them if you can. I would like to see the slop you are talking about. I am pretty sure I know and the RC4WD Punisher shafts were the same way.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I will, I also forgot to mention about the need to grind off the spur gear cover, you only have to do it very slightly. I did way too much and actually punched all the way through the cover by accident. You only need to shave a very tiny bit. I also re-used the stock pins for the drive shafts. they seem better than what was provided.