RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Effect of clocking chubs? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/342768-effect-clocking-chubs.html)

JackJ 10-16-2011 07:38 PM

Effect of clocking chubs?

I'm having a clearance issue between my drag link and rim. I'm thinking clocking the chub forward a notch or two might help. What's the practical effect of this going to be on the steering geometry? Looks like three positions are available with the splines between the axles/chubs, with the oem setting on mine having the hubs rotated back as far as possible. What's the thinking on this adjustability?

Hubs/axles/links are Vanquish, if that makes any difference. Wheels are still stock.

m0d3ds1ash45 10-16-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackJ (Post 3330849)
I'm having a clearance issue between my drag link and rim... Wheels are still stock.

to be honest you answered your own question and your answer is you need a different offset wheels!"thumbsup"

JackJ 10-16-2011 08:05 PM

Thanks! So clearance is the only reason to clock on this vehicle? I've now got the hubs in the middle position, and I may have gained a little, but not enough to clear the drag link. I'll try all the way forward, but it looks like new wheels may indeed be what I need.

Anyone else have this problem with the Wraith and stock wheels w/ Vanquish link and hub/axle upgrades?

Any wheel suggestions that have more offset and aren't too spendy?

m0d3ds1ash45 10-16-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackJ (Post 3330923)
Any wheel suggestions that have more offset and aren't too spendy?

your welcome...i found this problem only because i didnt like how axial had there steering geometry on my buddys wraith...did alot of studying and alot of reading and heres what i came up with...i took apart the stock axial tie bar and drag link then i snipped where the drag link mounted to the tie bar then i extended the drag link to the knuckle thats where i came to the conclusion that i need to find a wider offset wheel to clear knuckle where the tie bar and drag link connected to the knuckle and i ended up using stock 2.2 axial rockster beadlocks!"thumbsup"

XDR 10-16-2011 08:31 PM

Here is what Axial states about the steering being clocked at the way it is:

The front axle steering geometry is engineered for high speed performance with close attention to maximum pivot angle, minimal scrub, adjustable castor and Ackerman set as close to 0-degrees as possible. This geometry theory achieves a desired tight turning radius with locked differentials and better steering control at high speeds.

Bronco Bobby 10-17-2011 10:59 AM

yes I had clearance issues when I went to Vanquish C-hubs (because of the high steer design). I found some nice max offset, narrow plastic wheels with aluminum beadlocks for 40 dollars through RC4WD and RPP. This widened the care nearly 1 inch and eliminated any rubbing. And so far I have not stripped the wheels running 3S. I try to keep them tight and check frequently.