Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Steering link and drag link - what's the best bang for the buck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Steering link and drag link - what's the best bang for the buck?

Looking to upgrade the steering linkage and drag link. I have the Axial aluminum C hubs and knuckles on it already. Anyone have these parts with upgraded linkages? Some I've seen have been messing with toe in/out. I want to avoid that! Obviously! So so there is the Vanquish and the Level 3rc. Any others? Thanks! Oh and pics if you have them!
Matthewboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Master Rocksmith...

Dollar for dollar, i'd say you cant go wrong with the Level 3... its only 17.00 bucks. and it looks pretty good, and is hella strong. only weak point i can see is that it has square edges, so it might get hung up a bit more often than a round steering link, in real rocky conditions. but it hasn't really bothered me.

FlightInstrukta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

^^How well do your baja claws grip? Vanquish link on mine with a CKRC drag.
strap624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I see ckrc isnt very well liked around here, but has anyone tried the suicide switch set-up? Ordered a pile of stuff from them before i found this place, then saw all the negative reviews. Lol. Guess ill see.
stricker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightInstrukta View Post
Dollar for dollar, i'd say you cant go wrong with the Level 3... its only 17.00 bucks. and it looks pretty good, and is hella strong. only weak point i can see is that it has square edges, so it might get hung up a bit more often than a round steering link, in real rocky conditions. but it hasn't really bothered me.

I like the look of the black link with the polished lines, you did that right? Also with that link which drag link are you using since the Level3 doesn't seem to come with one?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

best bang for the buck can mean different things. cheapest now, or cheapest in the long run. i went with the vanquish links. a little more expensive, but they will last. no worries about having to change them later due to bending or wearing out. so for me that is the best bang for the buck. the level 3 works pretty good, a friend of mine had it on his but swapped it out for the vanquish. he was running the stock drag link until it broke at the mount. swapped that with an aluminum one we made, then he broke the level 3 tie rod after jumping his wraith and landing the tie rod on a rock. it broke at one of the bends next to the diff cover.

that said, i would guess the cheapest route would be to just build your own.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricker76 View Post
I see ckrc isnt very well liked around here, but has anyone tried the suicide switch set-up? Ordered a pile of stuff from them before i found this place, then saw all the negative reviews. Lol. Guess ill see.
That'd why you see I have 1/2 a vanquish kit and 1/2 a CKRC kit. The CKRC kit hit the diff cover and the rod ends were to fat and they rubbed the stock wheels. I just bought the Vanquish link and kept the drag link from CKRC. Seems to work very well.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
best bang for the buck can mean different things. cheapest now, or cheapest in the long run. i went with the vanquish links. a little more expensive, but they will last. no worries about having to change them later due to bending or wearing out. so for me that is the best bang for the buck. the level 3 works pretty good, a friend of mine had it on his but swapped it out for the vanquish. he was running the stock drag link until it broke at the mount. swapped that with an aluminum one we made, then he broke the level 3 tie rod after jumping his wraith and landing the tie rod on a rock. it broke at one of the bends next to the diff cover.

that said, i would guess the cheapest route would be to just build your own.

I am going to run two drag links to the servo arm and see how it works. will post pictures when its setup, will be sometime later in the week.
OntarioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioCrawler View Post
I am going to run two drag links to the servo arm and see how it works. will post pictures when its setup, will be sometime later in the week.
Two drag links and the steering link?? That will bind wont it?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I see what our saying about bang for the buck vs value and longevity. The vanquish seem to be the best of all. With both tie rod and drag link and being made of Ti, they will last for the long run rather than having to buy more aluminum ones multiple times.

How strong are th Vanquish plastic ends?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by strap624 View Post
Two drag links and the steering link?? That will bind wont it?
Think he means something like this. Its the one i have on order.

CKRC's Suicide Switch Steering Upgrade Kit (Wraith) [ck180020] - $31.99 : CKRC Crawlers, RC Rock Crawlers
Old 10-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewboerner View Post

very strong. my 9 year old daughter was running it flat out and caught a tire on a fence post. pulled the tire out of the beadlock, spun the truck around and flipped it a couple times. no damage at all (except having to remount a tire!)
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
very strong. my 9 year old daughter was running it flat out and caught a tire on a fence post. pulled the tire out of the beadlock, spun the truck around and flipped it a couple times. no damage at all (except having to remount a tire!)
nice - thats how i drive. I too went with vp, the rod ends are strong 4mm i think
bikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
Master Rocksmith...

[QUOTE=strap624;3333502]^^How well do your baja claws grip? Vanquish link on mine with a CKRC drag.

the claws were ok, but with this new cut job, im assuming they will be better?

Quote:
I like the look of the black link with the polished lines, you did that right? Also with that link which drag link are you using since the Level3 doesn't seem to come with one?
the L3 link was done by the previous owner, its painted, ans sanded for that look.
and the drag link is an axial 70mm link i had lying around from previous projects.

Quote:
I see what our saying about bang for the buck vs value and longevity. The vanquish seem to be the best of all. With both tie rod and drag link and being made of Ti, they will last for the long run rather than having to buy more aluminum ones multiple times.

the rod ends that come with VP links are traxxas revo 4mm rod ends. they are known for being the strongest endrods available. cant go wrong with VP, they make awesome products, and ya get what ya pay for 100%!!!
FlightInstrukta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I made my own out of 1/4 .049 wall aluminum tube, seems pretty strong so far.

BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricker76 View Post
No offense to you, but that is prob. the most RETARDED thing I've ever seen CKRC try to push...

How long do you think a stock servo would last with that setup? Esp. if you want to crawl a little...

The Traxxas Stampede has a similar setup, & it sucks! (mind you it is almost a 20 year old r/c design)
There is a reason they put bellcrank steering on the Slash, when it was designed, instead of the Stampede setup. Even though the Slash/Stampede are nearly identical except for the chassis.

And for $31.99, you could get a QUALITY steering setup like the Vanquish

Last edited by R/CMaxximus5.0; 10-19-2011 at 06:05 AM.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

No offense taken. I wasn't sure, thought it might work well for a rear steer setup. And my stock servo only lasted 1 outting anyhow. LOL
Old 10-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #18
20K Club

There are a ton of problems with that CKRC setup. It is a terrible design. It makes each tire turn differently throughout the cycle. That's a huge DO NOT BUY.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
There are a ton of problems with that CKRC setup. It is a terrible design. It makes each tire turn differently throughout the cycle. That's a huge DO NOT BUY.
Glad you chimed in Harley... I knew you would like that one!

Seems like CKRC will sell any crap they can to make a buck!
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Anyone wanna buy one? Lmao! Wish i had found this place before i placed that order! Live and learn i guess.