Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: tired of the Wraith

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
Personally i have never seen a car like the above on the road in my 42 years on this planet.
It wasnt designed to be on the road.

BTW, here in the US you will see vehicles just like the one above quite often. Just like RC, the 1:1 buggies compete against one another. Most arent street legal, so you need to go attend the events to see them. Similar to F1 racing.....you wont see those on the road, but they most certainly exist.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

head up to disney oklahoma on just about any weekend. you will see all kinds of 4x4's that look like that running around town! i had a suzuki samurai, stretched wheelbase to 112 inches, 42 inch tall tsl's, front was dovetailed, rear was cut off. drove it into town to get gas and the cop pulled up. only thing he said was " please don't run any other cars over"!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I'm not gonna comment on the rest, but this.....here is the 1:1 version:

Still think it doesnt look "scale"?
The driver looks to big, I don't think he's scale ?

I'm just getting back into RC cars after giving heli's and planes up, I spent 6 months reading on the wraith before placing my order, so I have an idea of what I'm in for with, I know it's weak points already so when the parts do break I'm not going to be that surprised.. As for guys being up there sponsors arse, u get that with any hobby/sport, the guys here have nothing on what I see in the mountain bike industry..
Old 10-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #24

actually i knew id get some of these responses but i figured from a forum id get more help on the better way to go with my next step, fix or make a custom, and dont judge when u dont know. i dont drive the thing like crazy, i crawl slow and only open it up in a field. the foot drop it took was when it slid of a rock ledge at NO throttle. if i beat it i wouldnt care if it broke.
Thanks for all the no help on a forum
Old 10-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #25
RCC Addict

While I feel bad for the OP, it doesn't take a lot of searching and reading to see that the stock RTR Wraith will not take a lot of punishment. Plastic is plastic. A little homework indicates that a Wraith owner will have to fork out the best part of $1000 to get something that will withstand a little torture.

I think the majority of members here that are serious about owning a strong crawler have already drawn that conclusion. If one does his/her homework, it's all laid out in the threads...no surprises and certainly no reason to whine.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody318 View Post
actually i knew id get some of these responses but i figured from a forum id get more help on the better way to go with my next step, fix or make a custom, and dont judge when u dont know. i dont drive the thing like crazy, i crawl slow and only open it up in a field. the foot drop it took was when it slid of a rock ledge at NO throttle. if i beat it i wouldnt care if it broke.
Maybe you should re read your original post and see how it looks like your whining, maybe if you had worded it differently, you would be getting different results.
Plus if you took the time to read and search, you would know what to expect and know how to fix
Old 10-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Name:  DSC01080 (800x600).jpg
Views: 630
Size:  64.5 KB
scale not scale real fake, it still kicks ass!!! after many upgrades. but i have never owned any rc and not had to drop coin on it to make better. tis the nature of the beast.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #28
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody318 View Post
First of all, you need to step back and take a deeeep breathe, now relax... You're getting worked up over minor things that could be explained with more details on what you might be doing wrong or what actually happened. There's no way in hell you twisted up the driveshafts by babying it, not to mention the tranny gear that got torn up. The esc burned up.. What batteries were you running? The stock motor burnt up, did you monitor how hot it might've been getting? It's your responsibility to keep an eye on these things.

I'm also calling you out on the *foot drop with no throttle* that broke the bumper mounts, yeah right. The darn thing is over a foot long, it wouldn't have even free fallen before the nose made contact with the ground.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
You really have to read between the lines to get good honest assessments, i've seen folks complain that a $40 bit of alloy doesn't fit right without spacers and be shouted down cause it's from a company that has many fan boys.
I have to agree with you here. I was SO unhappy with the fit and finish of my XR10 Tranny cases, motor plates and Front Link Mount, I swore I would never order from the un-named company again, especially after catching hell on here for daring to insult their products. Used my dremel and made them work, but never was happy. But now with the Wraith, they are the primary players again. Front Chubs and Knuckles worked great, so I ordered the rear and back to the dremel tool to get the things to work smoothly.

Oh well, can't machine them for my self and can't live with plastic, so what do you do. Last time I complained the answer was take all the parts off and send them back and they would see what they could do. So I buy them and dremel when they don't fit.

At least I have yet to get a bad set of wheels from them. Yet.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Personally i have never seen a car like the above on the road in my 42 years on this planet.[/QUOTE]

I have, thie same one you see here.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:22 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
It wasnt designed to be on the road.

BTW, here in the US you will see vehicles just like the one above quite often. Just like RC, the 1:1 buggies compete against one another. Most arent street legal, so you need to go attend the events to see them. Similar to F1 racing.....you wont see those on the road, but they most certainly exist.
As i say scale probably wasn't the correct wording, realistic is probably more accurate to what i mean.

Just out of interest do Wraiths class as scalers in comps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtinner View Post
Attachment 175064
scale not scale real fake, it still kicks ass!!! after many upgrades. but i have never owned any rc and not had to drop coin on it to make better. tis the nature of the beast.
There is a difference between throwing cash at a project to improve it, to HAVING to throw cash at it.

I've hopped up my Blitz, but only to slightly improve on a few things, in stock form it's fine and fit for purpose even for unreasonably hard use.

Casting my mind back the same is true for every 1/8th buggy, 1/10th touring car and most SCT's i've owned/used.

As i say i find it very weird that companies get away with manufacturing and putting out sub standard products for the crawler market, yet there is very few "honest" reviews and those that do dare to point out these flaws are ripped to shreds.

Only time i've seen anything similar is on some Honda forums, you get the same fan boy base on there that's also bordering on fanaticism.

Personally i have absolutely no loyalty to any brand.
I work hard for my money and expect something that i throw my hard earned at to be fit for purpose.
If i bought a full sized car that sheared it's gears after 5 mins there would be riots, if i bought a DVD player that only worked for 5 mins and i HAD to throw $100 at to get it to finish a movie again i'd be pissed.

But for things like the XR10 that are not fit for purpose without modifying dramatically or throwing $100+ at many here just accept it and rip anyone to pieces if they dare show displeasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
I have to agree with you here. I was SO unhappy with the fit and finish of my XR10 Tranny cases, motor plates and Front Link Mount, I swore I would never order from the un-named company again, especially after catching hell on here for daring to insult their products. Used my dremel and made them work, but never was happy. But now with the Wraith, they are the primary players again. Front Chubs and Knuckles worked great, so I ordered the rear and back to the dremel tool to get the things to work smoothly.

Oh well, can't machine them for my self and can't live with plastic, so what do you do. Last time I complained the answer was take all the parts off and send them back and they would see what they could do. So I buy them and dremel when they don't fit.

At least I have yet to get a bad set of wheels from them. Yet.
I know what you mean, after placing a order for over $300 i'm told by a mate that these parts bent on 4S.
When he then contacted the supplier he was told "these products do not support 4S"

Quote:
Originally Posted by highhpcummins View Post
Quote:
Personally i have never seen a car like the above on the road in my 42 years on this planet.
I have, thie same one you see here.
I'm guessing you don't live in Europe though

Last edited by cbr6fs; 10-27-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:09 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
As i say i find it very weird that companies get away with manufacturing and putting out sub standard products for the crawler market, yet there is very few "honest" reviews and those that do dare to point out these flaws are ripped to shreds.
But you have to remember that crawlers go through more abuse than other styles of driving, these things see more torque than a sc or buggy, it hits worse things than a wall or plastic guard. and all All around we for this sense to put crazy power in them, by all means back then and now still putting 4s on a crawler? You know that's going to be excessive and cause things, yes we have learned that volting up and gearing down works but does that work for the crawler? Not really unless you do beef things up.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:18 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Just out of interest do Wraiths class as scalers in comps?
I ran my 99% stock kit in a G6 scale event.

The only thing that was not stock was the spur and pinion gears. And yeah, I agree with you on the breakage of those....they lasted about 2 minutes on the rocks.

By the end of the day, more than one person had mentioned to me that it was crazy that I had not broken anything...
Old 10-27-2011, 06:53 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
But you have to remember that crawlers go through more abuse than other styles of driving, these things see more torque than a sc or buggy, it hits worse things than a wall or plastic guard. and all All around we for this sense to put crazy power in them, by all means back then and now still putting 4s on a crawler? You know that's going to be excessive and cause things, yes we have learned that volting up and gearing down works but does that work for the crawler? Not really unless you do beef things up.
I strongly disagree with this.

My Blitz takes more abuse in 5 mins than my crawlers have in their entire life's, quick example.

My ERevo puts out torque that would twist my XR10 into spaghetti.
The ERevo runs on 6S, the Blitz anywhere between 2S to 4S.

Hell my POS MRC runs 3S, so in comparison my XR10 and most crawlers have a life of luxury.

Obviously we are not comparing apples to apples here, but the point i'm making is IMO many of us crawler types take a bag-o-shite from a company throw hundreds if not thousands of $ at it and then give shit to those that expect it to run out of the box.

I have only driven a Wraith a few times, so i'm not talking about this car specifically, i have more experience with the XR10.
I know for an absolute fact that the vast majority of XR10 owners are not able to run their XR10 stock, with stock gears.

I will happily stand corrected here, but i also believe that there are very few people that would trust a 100% Wraith.

I know for a fact that my MRC was an absolute piece of shite stock, but then the SCX doesn't seem so bad.

So it is possible to produce a half decent out of the box crawler that stands up to reasonable abuse

Quote:
I ran my 99% stock kit in a G6 scale event.

The only thing that was not stock was the spur and pinion gears. And yeah, I agree with you on the breakage of those....they lasted about 2 minutes on the rocks.

By the end of the day, more than one person had mentioned to me that it was crazy that I had not broken anything...
Hand on my heart i honestly think that is fanfoooooooookintastic Jeremy
This hobby is getting to be mentally expensive, so anyone that has the balls to compete on a fairly stock truck has my utmost respect.

I also think it's fair to say that after seeing your driving and driving style (from vids not in person) you do understand the forces put on a truck and your local rock to rock hop challenge aside your a pretty smooth driver.

As i say my main experience is with the XR10 and i believe 100% that Axial have bought out a product that is not fit for purpose.

If you tell me that the Wraith is, then i'll accept that and shut up
Old 10-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #35
Sometimes, I make things.

Turn it into a drifter............
Old 10-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hand on my heart i honestly think that is fanfoooooooookintastic Jeremy
This hobby is getting to be mentally expensive, so anyone that has the balls to compete on a fairly stock truck has my utmost respect.

I also think it's fair to say that after seeing your driving and driving style (from vids not in person) you do understand the forces put on a truck and your local rock to rock hop challenge aside your a pretty smooth driver.

As i say my main experience is with the XR10 and i believe 100% that Axial have bought out a product that is not fit for purpose.

If you tell me that the Wraith is, then i'll accept that and shut up
I am most certainly not saying that the wraith is infallible......IMO, no RC is....especially not RTRs. I have the kit and it does have some upgrades (as most RC kits do when compared to their RTR counterparts), but I am fairly shocked at how well this kit holds up to brushless and 3S power. I recently broke my first real part on this truck (aside from that flat spotted spur)....the rear locker. I was being stupid with the truck and was not surprised at all that it broke.

I understand people's frustrations with breakage....however, this isn't just something that happens to axial. After I built my 2.2 comp berg, I broke an axle shaft within 1 minute on the rocks.

There's no need to "shut up".....a company only learns about its products by listening to it's customers.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
So it is possible to produce a half decent out of the box crawler that stands up to reasonable abuse
Sure, but how many people will pay $1000 for it if they did? Mosty would still buy the cheaper and upgrade parts as they save up and break things, rather than fork out that much right off the bat.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

I am new to crawling as of two weeks ago. I havent broken a part yet and I have been driving the wraith pretty hard everyday. Plus im running 3s.

I am also trying to get all my friends to buy a wraith, so I let all of them drive it. I am just waiting for something to break. I am a believer in trying to stop problems before they happen. EX: I see my friends put my wraith in really bad binds and they don't let off the throttle. So I loosened the slipper a tad. Now the slipper breaks loose before the drive shafts twist.

The wraith is so easy to work on I can't even believe it. I think everyone should have one, the world would be a better place
Old 10-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #39
20K Club

What's a Wraith?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #40
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
What's a Wraith?
It's an old Charlie Sheen movie.

Winning!
Attached Images

Closed Thread