Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: TODBLDZ's Wraith build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default TODBLDZ's Wraith build

i have been wanting one of these for a while now. i finally got my hands on a kit version saturday along with some vp goodies.

thanks to Ittybitty(Ryan) and Limited77(Micheal) at ECRC(www.ecrchobbies.com) for hooking me up and feeding my scale addiction. i look forward to ordering more parts from you soon. i also stopped by my LHS for a slash 90t spur and 13t pinion.

i have had these on the shelf waiting for this build. VXL system and 2.2 TSLs. should be a nice addition to the kit.

since this is my first wraith build, i wanted to start by building it by the book pretty much to get an idea on what ride hieght, track width, and wheel base i am working with stock and what changes i want to make.

ready to start assembly....i think.

i started by assembling the axles in stock form. im waiting on my VP titanium steering links to arrive later this week so i can install my VP knuckles and chubs.

next i asswmbled the links and mated them to the skid and axles.

i dont see these links holding up very long with the VXL and my heavy trigger finger. i will be making 5/16" delrin lowers with revo ends and swapping to titanium uppers soon.

then i assembled the chassis/cage

i skipped the trans and shock assembly for now but ended up fitting a stock set of losi comp shocks on it instead. i will be installing RPM pistons this week to slow the shock compression on big jumps. i am happy with the ride height right now. i have a 3.2" ride height at the skid with 2.2 TSLs on some axial rockster wheels. i am sure the it will drop as i install the trans, electronic, battery, ect. but i the losi shocks allow me to adjust the spring load to keep it around 3".

i wasnt happy with the 12.5" track width so i fitted the TSLs on my V1s and played with some different hub sizes. the V1s and .350 hubs put me close to stock track width. i wanted it just a little wider so i fitted some .475 hubs on the wheels and that put me at a 12" track width.

still got along ways to go and alot of decisions to make on this build.

Last edited by TODBLDZ; 11-01-2011 at 08:14 AM.
TODBLDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Looks like you're off to a great start! Thanks for the intel on how the hub sizes affect the end result on track width. I've been scratching my head as to which size would land me with roughly the same measurements as stock.

Looking forward to seeing this thread progress.

One more on the scaler trails at the Riverbanks.
Full_Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Lookin good Todd...thanks again for the order and just let us know when we can get more parts on the way for you!
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

no problem. let me see if there are any clearance issues once i get the knuckles and chubs on before you buy any.

will do Ryan. thanks again.

Last edited by TODBLDZ; 10-31-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Great job so far Todd. If my sammy sells soon this will be next build as well. Looking forward to some G6 comps this year. I'll definitely be watching this build.
limited77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

The wraith is a beast, the look is perfect with 2.2, I will start with a scx10 but will subscribe to your post as I'm sure I will step to the Wraith by spring time
joss097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by limited77 View Post
Great job so far Todd. If my sammy sells soon this will be next build as well. Looking forward to some G6 comps this year. I'll definitely be watching this build.
thanks Micheal. i have a feeling this thing is gonna be my favorite rig so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joss097 View Post
The wraith is a beast, the look is perfect with 2.2, I will start with a scx10 but will subscribe to your post as I'm sure I will step to the Wraith by spring time
thanks. the scx10 is a great rig. i have a hilux based on a scx chassis and it takes a beating. you will love it.

well got a few things done this evening but not as much as i wanted. 12 hour shifts dont leave much time for builds.

i been thinking how to keep the trans together with the VXL and i remembered this morning i had some aluminum gears i aquired not long ago but the bolt circle was totally different(smaller) than any i had come across. gonna mod it tomorrow at the shop to fit the outputs that came with the wraith trans.

i started on some body panels tonight. i wanted something that will dent while beating on the rocks and taking direct hits from DUTY's short bus.

heres a hint to what i am using for panels. lets see who guesses it.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:33 PM   #8

Just a guess.... NO TRESPASSING sign or DO NOT ENTER sign.
atleast thats what mine look like before paint.
square68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

yes sir. no trespassing signs. they are cheap and can be cut with normal scissors. i made that one real quick last night but i plan on changing it to cover the fenderwell also.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

got a little more done last night but not as much as i had hope.

i was able to mod the aluminum trans gear pictured above and finally assemble the trans. went with a 90t spur and 14t pinion to give the VXL a little more torque. its the lowest gearing i could make fit without rubbing and is a very close fit on all sides. also have a slipper assembly from a slash 4x4 i may give a try.

also picked up some traxxas screw pins to install my MIP shafts on the stock wraith outputs. thanks Duty for the heads up on them.

only working a 1/2 day so im hoping to get the bec wired in, esc mounted, and my 7955 installed later today. it will be good to finally get it off the table and take it for a little test drive.

Last edited by TODBLDZ; 11-04-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TODBLDZ View Post
yes sir. no trespassing signs. they are cheap and can be cut with normal scissors. i made that one real quick last night but i plan on changing it to cover the fenderwell also.
I was reading this thread the other day. I ran down to the store & got a sign for $1.89 & made some panels for my Edge chassis
I have a Wraith on the way & a little over half the sign left. Hmmm...
Anyway, thanks for the great cheap tip!
slickwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

As of today he's got some more VP goodies on the way
Old 11-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwillie View Post
Anyway, thanks for the great cheap tip!
No problem. I couldn't believe how easy they were cut with scissors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
As of today he's got some more VP goodies on the way
I'm waiting on the postman now. I should have a few updates today.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I noticed both of your rear axle lock outs are all the way on with no spline showing . Did you mod the diff or has axial fixed the problem ?
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by northkona View Post
I noticed both of your rear axle lock outs are all the way on with no spline showing . Did you mod the diff or has axial fixed the problem ?
i had no problem with mine fitting so i guess they must have fixed it.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

my postman finally showed up and i got another package today from ECRC with my steering links and a steering set up for my buddy brad(inkpen00).

picked up some balloons and die electric grease this morning on my run to the post office. found a pack that had some longer balloons in it that will work great for protecting the bec.

bec waterproofed by placing it in a balloon and packing it with die electric grease then closing the ends with some small zipties. i think it will work nicely. i dont plan on submerging this rig but just in case.

next i installed the 7955tg, vp chubs, knuckles, and steering link. i had originally ordered black but changed my mind on the color scheme after messing with the metal panels. i ended up trading Duty for his silver pieces.

i cut a small pice of lexan, painted it black, ziptied it to the chassis, then used 3M 2 sided tape to mount the vxl. mounted the bec just in front of it on the cross brace behind where the seats will be

i was able to mount the reciever using the electronics box in the stock location and still was able to mount my battery behind it.

all the electronics installed and ready to test before moving on to the body and scale accessories

the weight of the trans, MIPs, electroncs, and battery dropped my ride height from 3" down to just over 2.3"

took it out for a little test run in the yard and this thing is a blast. crawls fairly decent but still has enough speed to clear some jumps. hope to hit some trails with it tomorrow
Old 11-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Nice looking wraith Tod! Derrick let me drive his wifes the other day and it was a blast
cmyers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyers1 View Post
Nice looking wraith Tod! Derrick let me drive his wifes the other day and it was a blast
thanks Craig. i beat on it a little today and i think its going to fit my driving style perfectly.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

It's looking great Todd...glad the USPS works well here in SC.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

well after getting this thing running and doing a little testing i must say its one of the funnest rigs i have built yet. great job axial. i will be ordering another kit from ECRC this week for my son.

so now that all the bolt ons are in place and the electronics are installed i can move onto what i love about the scalers. making it look unique and real at the same time. im fully addicted to building this into a KOH type rig and i spent a few hours on youtube and google images sunday night searching for body ideas.

there are alot of nice wraith builds here but i have been looking for something noone has done yet. thats not an easy task.

i started this last night anyway. first i found an old new bright tj body that was ready for the recycle bin and started chopping.

and chopping (windsheild fits nicely also)

ended up with this.

it still needs some tweaking and i will probably pic up a new body soon to be my finished product. sad thing is i just sold 2 of them not long ago.

i have also been playing with the idea of internal panels to make it look like an exo-caged rig.

i will probably stay external so the panels get dented, scratched, and beat to give it the look of being thru the hammers a few hundred times. im hoping to be able to tie the side panels in with the hood to give it a flat fendered look. i will be stopping my side panels at the rear axle to leave the rear cagework exposed unless i need some coverage to hide the servo for the rear steer once i get it ordered and installed.

thanks for looking.