RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/346212-choosing-motor-esc-your-wraith-gearing-added.html)

Rjohn929 11-13-2016 11:45 AM

Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vgeorge (Post 5581624)
I perfectly understand what you are saying.

BUT, i didnt find any budget brushless 4pole sensored motor.

Only sensorless. And to be honest, sensored is better.

Define budget? I consider anything under $100 to be budget friendly. Check out Team Brood.

magicaxeman 11-15-2016 05:23 PM

I just got my poison spyder so its currently stock but having read the first post felt I should do something to prevent problems, I'm not doing anything crazy with it mainly using it as an fpv & video platform but need to run slow and smooth, stock its very "jumpy" so was thinking of:

A - Swap the 20T drive pinion out for a 14T which will lower the gear ratio to 5.71:1

B: Tweak the ESC's throttle curve for more progressive low end power

C: Swap out the stock motor for either a 35T or 27T

Later when I'm more confident at tinkering swap out the stock 48p gears for 32p.

Its odd but I used to be a motor mechanic and have stripped & rebuilt many engines and gearboxes in my time but I feel quite nervous about playing with this.

mikebecher 11-15-2016 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicaxeman (Post 5590343)
I just got my poison spyder so its currently stock but having read the first post felt I should do something to prevent problems, I'm not doing anything crazy with it mainly using it as an fpv & video platform but need to run slow and smooth, stock its very "jumpy" so was thinking of:

A - Swap the 20T drive pinion out for a 14T which will lower the gear ratio to 5.71:1

B: Tweak the ESC's throttle curve for more progressive low end power

C: Swap out the stock motor for either a 35T or 27T

Later when I'm more confident at tinkering swap out the stock 48p gears for 32p.

Its odd but I used to be a motor mechanic and have stripped & rebuilt many engines and gearboxes in my time but I feel quite nervous about playing with this.

Everything you mentioned will make the startup smoother, as will practice. Personally, I'd tweak the ESC first, it's free (if you already have the CastleLink) and easy to undo. Next would be the smaller pinion and last a new motor. If you're going to keep it slow & smooth there's really no need to 'upgrade' to 32p gears, 48p will work just fine as long as the mesh is proper.

magicaxeman 11-16-2016 02:32 PM

Thanks for your reply Mike, went ahead and grabbed the castle usb lead & the 14T pinion, will let you know how it goes.

JRJohnson 11-26-2016 09:32 AM

I'm stuck between a Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster Pro 540 35t or the CrawlMaster Pro 540 16t. I am going to pair either one I buy with the Torquemaster BR-XL (waterproof). I would like to get around the same speed as the stock motor. Also I was wondering what else I would need to support this. For example new gearing. I am new to modifying RC so all help is appreciated.

Brake Weight 11-26-2016 11:43 AM

Get the 35t and you can run 2s for near stock speed and 3s for a little more speed. The 16t would be faster than the stock brushed motor.

waqr 12-08-2016 03:06 AM

I just bought a Axial Wraith Spawn and I will only use it form crawling. What would be the most cost effected way to increase the low end speed performance? My plan is to add a 9T pinion and use the stock motor. Or would it be better to buy the Axial 27T motor and use the stock 12T pinion?

What do you guys think?

allanon1965 12-08-2016 05:04 AM

Run a holmes hobbies 35t torque master motor and a 10t pinion..

Teng 01-14-2017 06:57 PM

I love my Wraith so much and I am thinking to upgrade my motor to Holmes PULLER PRO BL 540 STANDARD ( I want Good speed and OK for crawling ) so, what motor's kv is suit my riding styles? I am thinking going for 2200kv? and Is Robinson Racing Gen3 56T metal spur slipper still a good choice?

allanon1965 01-14-2017 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teng (Post 5649837)
I love my Wraith so much and I am thinking to upgrade my motor to Holmes PULLER PRO BL 540 STANDARD ( I want Good speed and OK for crawling ) so, what motor's kv is suit my riding styles? I am thinking going for 2200kv? and Is Robinson Racing Gen3 56T metal spur slipper still a good choice?

I would go with a 2700kv personally... I run a roc 412 3100kv in my wraith and its perfect for my terrain..

Teng 01-14-2017 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allanon1965 (Post 5649843)
I would go with a 2700kv personally... I run a roc 412 3100kv in my wraith and its perfect for my terrain..

Thank you allanon1965 for your input here. But, may I also know do you have any suggestion about how to stronger the transmission? as SuperShafty.com does not ship items to my country8)

allanon1965 01-15-2017 08:10 AM

all I did was put in the steel gears from axial and a set of hardened steel outputs off of ebay...still running the plastic trans case...

Teng 01-16-2017 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allanon1965 (Post 5650012)
all I did was put in the steel gears from axial and a set of hardened steel outputs off of ebay...still running the plastic trans case...

Thank you once again allanon1965. I would try to search through ebay tonight/"thumbsup"

slimfire 01-16-2017 01:48 PM

Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teng (Post 5649837)

I currently run the same motor on my wraith! I have the 2700kv

If I had to buy it again I would most probably go for the 3300 though... following Holmes motto "volts up, gear down "

RRP spur is great but make sure u pair it with RRP steel pinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

in2sanity 01-21-2017 02:08 PM

Long time reader first time posting.

I got a new rtr wrath spawn a few months ago and have done some major over-hauling on it. I would say I crawl 80% of the time and trail it the rest. I've been playing with gears and think I've found my sweet spot with 9/56 at 32p. The problem now is finding the right way and motor to handle all that low end.

I've gone through all this forum and haven't seen too many wanting to run how I want to set mine up. Would the HH 16t crawlmaster with the HH BRXL be a good choice or should I look at something like the MMX?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

asiddd 01-22-2017 12:32 PM

Hi all! Help choose between 3100kv and rock412
TrackStar 17.5 T "Outlaw" on what to stop?

allanon1965 01-23-2017 09:57 AM

3100kv roc 412 all day long....

waqr 02-13-2017 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waqr (Post 5601175)
I just bought a Axial Wraith Spawn and I will only use it form crawling. What would be the most cost effected way to increase the low end speed performance? My plan is to add a 9T pinion and use the stock motor. Or would it be better to buy the Axial 27T motor and use the stock 12T pinion?

What do you guys think?

Answering this one myself :)

I only use my Spawn for crawling and for crawling this is a great setup:

- Axial 35T
- 9/56 gearing
- 3S lipo

Troy77 02-16-2017 08:43 AM

Hey guys looking for some help choosing a new esc/motor. I've read through this and other threads so I have narrowed down to a few choices but for the final selection I just keep second guessing myself. Right now I'm running Axial AE5 with a 35T Holmes TrailMaster Sport 56/11 Gearing on 3s Lipo. I'm not unhappy with this setup but still I would like a little motor power and tunability from esc. I can't decide if I stay brushed or change to brushless. So here's what Im looking at...

1. (The easy answer) - Upgrading esc to HH TorqueMaster BR-XL and choose either 35t TorqueMaster Pro or 16t CrawlMaster Pro

2. (What I really want to do) - Go brushless... HH TrailMaster BLE with maybe a TrailMaster 2700kv or possibly Puller Pro 2200kv.

I really like the advantages and lower maintenance of brushless but here's my concerns with #2 above.
- My Wraith has 4WS. I have heard from some that brushless is just too powerful and can hinder the advantage of 4WS
- Battery life. I like getting almost 2 hrs of run time on my current setup. How much run time would I be losing with a 2700 or 2200kv brushless
- Top speed. Having wheel speed to power through is great but I don't want to end up with a rock racer.
- I run 3s. Most brushless wraith ppl seem to run 2s with 3X00kv and those seem about as extreme as I would want in my wraith. Running those systems on 3s would definitely be too much. (not looking to get new 2s batteries)

Can anybody compare speed of stock wraith to a 2200 or 2700kv brushless motor running from 3s lipo? How's your run time?
Anybody running 3s brushless on a wraith with 4WS?

I've been trying to make a decision for months now... I need help deciding so I can order something as soon as I get my tax return
Thanks

Brake Weight 02-16-2017 10:53 AM

2s on 3300kV is about 26-27,000 RPMs.

27,000/12v=2250kV and more torque.

I'd say go for around 2000kV on 3s and you'd like it. But, I have one I strictly crawl with on 2300kV and 2s.