Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #2061
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDude View Post
I now have the Puller Pro 540 3500kv and MambaX installed. It will fly in reverse but forward, not so much. It being a sensored motor , i k ow i cant just switch 2 of the wires and fix it. Reversing the radio just makes the cobtrols backwards. I keep reading i need to reverse the motor direction. Some say change the ring gear to the other side on both axels. If i need to reprogram, can someone give me part numbers on what usb wires i need to get? Thanks for any info.
Hi,

Got you a decent drag brake with this combo?

Thanks
Taper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #2062
Rock Crawler

I suppose I can't really recommend this setup, but it works for me. Only parts I had available:
Axial Vanguard AE-3 ESC
Axial Vanguard 2900kv sensorless motor

I used to run 14t pinion on 56t spur and it was fast. I went down to 11t pinion to ease strain on the motor and get some low speed control. It's still quite fast.
It can't crawl, but it's fun to drive if you like jumping around offroad. I consider running open diffs to make it more of a racer. Then I could probably gear up a bit more.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:43 PM   #2063

Ok good question for all the gurus.. I setup my Wraith with a 87/16 s&p with a 4370kv motor setup as it came with an 87 tooth spur when I bought it.. previously I was running a 87/23 ( but thinking it was a factory 80t spur) it was stupid fast with this setup and crawled worth $hit.. now with the 87/16, it crawls not too bad and still has good speed.. Now on to my main question.. I finally got most of my parts in, what would be a good gear for a 3200kv sensored brushless motor with a 2 speed trans that comes with a 60t 32p spur??

Sent from my T810S using Tapatalk
Mustang351cca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #2064
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang351cca View Post
Ok good question for all the gurus.. I setup my Wraith with a 87/16 s&p with a 4370kv motor setup as it came with an 87 tooth spur when I bought it.. previously I was running a 87/23 ( but thinking it was a factory 80t spur) it was stupid fast with this setup and crawled worth $hit.. now with the 87/16, it crawls not too bad and still has good speed.. Now on to my main question.. I finally got most of my parts in, what would be a good gear for a 3200kv sensored brushless motor with a 2 speed trans that comes with a 60t 32p spur??

Sent from my T810S using Tapatalk
Run the stock 12t pinion to start. I have ran as low as 9/60(3000kv 4 pole) with the same gear box, and 13/60 (brushed 27t). The lower gearing really helps with drag brake and slow speed low gear stuff. High gear is plenty fast and I started breaking stuff every time I used it (brushless).

Low in the trans is 5:1 while high is 1.86:1 IIRC.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 11:26 AM   #2065

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but my son just smoked out the stock ESC on a brand new (like 15 min runtime) Wraith Spawn 2.2. Looking for durable, reliable options that are fairly budget-friendly. The Hobby shop sold a 3s with it saying it would run it no problem, but now I'm seeing that with a 3s, you need an external BEC? Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated. BTW, I'd like to still keep decent speed with good crawling. Hoping there's some new tech out there that fits the bill!

Last edited by MrSquiggles; 03-04-2022 at 11:31 AM.
MrSquiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:02 PM   #2066

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSquiggles View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but my son just smoked out the stock ESC on a brand new (like 15 min runtime) Wraith Spawn 2.2. Looking for durable, reliable options that are fairly budget-friendly. The Hobby shop sold a 3s with it saying it would run it no problem, but now I'm seeing that with a 3s, you need an external BEC? Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated. BTW, I'd like to still keep decent speed with good crawling. Hoping there's some new tech out there that fits the bill!
Hobbywing 1080 is a great brushed ESC that works with 2-3S for under $50.

I will be trying a Hobbywing QuicRun 1800kV brushless combo in my converted 1.9 Wraith in the next week or 2.
TORC811 is offline   Reply With Quote