Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #241
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONDONUTZ View Post
Since "you've ben there done that" enlighten me on what is the maximum gearing options are without motor plate mods plz.
60/15 is a TIGHT fit. I don't know all the options though.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #242
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith

Ahhh, I see said the blind man.
I guess I'll wonder/worry more once I get the trans together.
BONDONUTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #243
Quarry Creeper

I went with the recommended Tekin Redline 13.5, MMP and 3S and all I can say is wow! Faster now but not too fast IMO and it definitely has some punch when you get into the throttle. Electronics and battery are just zip tied in place for testing purposes. Now to finish it out and have some fun.
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #244

Ok I am a newb so please be gentle. I just ordered the mmp and was trying to decide between the tekin 10.5 and 13.5. I know I can crawl with both but is the difference in speed enough to worry about or is the 13.5 gonna be fine? Also, what gearing should I use with this set up? And what is this about the stock being reverse rotation and is there something I am gonna need to do when installing this set up? Thanks a lot you all!
barnyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #245
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
Ok I am a newb so please be gentle. I just ordered the mmp and was trying to decide between the tekin 10.5 and 13.5. I know I can crawl with both but is the difference in speed enough to worry about or is the 13.5 gonna be fine? Also, what gearing should I use with this set up? And what is this about the stock being reverse rotation and is there something I am gonna need to do when installing this set up? Thanks a lot you all!
First off, what kind of rig are you looking to build? Crawler, basher, in between? I had a Slash 4x4 and it was just to fast for what I wanted to do. That's why I moved to the Wraith. Since I already have a dedicated crawler I'm setting mine up to be an all terrain, do anything rig. I want something will some zip that I can also slow down and crawl a little. I fired things up last night for the first time. I can say the 13.5t with 3S Lipo gives me all the speed I can possibly want for a high cg rig. I think if you want to go faster you would want a better handling rig, not a Wraith. Of course that's my opinion. I'm also still a bit of a newbie but the MMP set up was easy using the link. You specify in the software that the application (rig) is a reverse rotation. From the factory your RTR transmitter is set with the throttle mode in "R" (reverse). This needs to be returned to the "N" (normal) setting. For gearing I'd leave it stock to start with and adjust later if needed.
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #246
20K Club

Quote:
A 10.5 is faster than a 13.5, the 13.5 is about as fast as I would suggest anyone goes of you want the low speed control. A 10.5 will not crawl well.

Switch the gearing to 32 pitch, 60/14 is a nice combo on that system.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #247

Thanks a lot guys! I am wanting a kinda all round rig since this is my first rc. I will go with the 13.5 and thanks for the gearing recs Harley. By the way nice set up on yours!
barnyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #248
20K Club

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys! I am wanting a kinda all round rig since this is my first rc. I will go with the 13.5 and thanks for the gearing recs Harley. By the way nice set up on yours!
No problem, have fun man.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #249
Rock Stacker

I got my first RC, a Wraith kit. I'm about to point and pull the trigger on a setup today. If it helps a group I may be going with crawls on rocks a lot I think.

First off I have a Onyx charger and and Lipo 2S setup.

Here's what I'm about to buy:

Hitec 7945SH servo
Sidewinder SV2
CC 10A ESC

I also had won a stock Wraith controller and a Matrix 55t so I'll be using those.
ThumperK15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #250
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperK15 View Post
I got my first RC, a Wraith kit. I'm about to point and pull the trigger on a setup today. If it helps a group I may be going with crawls on rocks a lot I think.

Hitec 7945SH servo
Sidewinder SV2
CC 10A ESC

I also had won a stock Wraith controller and a Matrix 55t so I'll be using those.

That setup will crawl very well. It will be a low on wheel speed but it will give you a starting point. Some time down the road you may look at grabbing a 35t for good crawling and little more wheel speed.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #251
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
That setup will crawl very well. It will be a low on wheel speed but it will give you a starting point. Some time down the road you may look at grabbing a 35t for good crawling and little more wheel speed.
Yea, I already planned on a higher speed motor, and I'd still have the 55. It was free so it'll do ok for a while maybe. The free controller and motor will get be by until I have time to learn more. I also have rear steer as a upgrade and then I'll need a new control but have this one for now. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #252
20K Club

Quote:
Yea, I already planned on a higher speed motor, and I'd still have the 55. It was free so it'll do ok for a while maybe. The free controller and motor will get be by until I have time to learn more. I also have rear steer as a upgrade and then I'll need a new control but have this one for now. Thanks!
For sure, everything you have listed there will work just fine. Run it, then you will be able to say exactly what you want to change in the future. Free is free
Old 12-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #253

Need some help I smoked my motor last week and I have been looking for some thing to replace it. I have an idea since i want to use my wraith for just crawling can i just take the 27T motor and the 87/14 gears out of the scx10 and plug them straight into the wraith.
chevycrawlerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #254
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevycrawlerking View Post
Need some help I smoked my motor last week and I have been looking for some thing to replace it. I have an idea since i want to use my wraith for just crawling can i just take the 27T motor and the 87/14 gears out of the scx10 and plug them straight into the wraith.
Yes. The 27t will have pretty good wheel speed too. For just crawling I would say 35t but since you already have the 27 you can throw it in.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #255

Quote:
Yes. The 27t will have pretty good wheel speed too. For just crawling I would say 35t but since you already have the 27 you can throw it in.
Thanks Harley, With out you I would be lost ill go ahead and order the 35T will it work fine with stock esc?
Old 12-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #256
20K Club

Quote:
Thanks Harley, With out you I would be lost ill go ahead and order the 35T will it work fine with stock esc?
Absolutely.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #257

Quote:
Absolutely.
What do you think of CKRC 35t crawler motor
Old 12-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #258
20K Club

Quote:
What do you think of CKRC 35t crawler motor
I don't support anything from CKRC. Use anybody else please. RPP, TCS, or Holmes are my suggestions.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #259
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Hitec 7945SH servo
Sidewinder SV2
CC 10A ESC

One more question, your opinion on the SV2? Would I be happier as a newbe with it for $63 shipped or spend twice that for a MMP, Holmes Brxl, or Tekin FX-R? I had a guy recommend the SV2 but at the same time I've heard lots of bad reviews. This guys no newbe and been building them and everything for 13 years or so. It's hard to ignore that and most here I don't know but they have few posts. I don't know if the bad reviews are user error or not. I read up some and heard that some used 3S and may have over done it.

Last edited by ThumperK15; 12-23-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #260
20K Club

Quote:
One more question, your opinion on the SV2? Would I be happier as a newbe with it for $63 shipped or spend twice that for a MMP, Holmes Brxl, or Tekin FX-R? I had a guy recommend the SV2 but at the same time I've heard lots of bad reviews. This guys no newbe and been building them and everything for 13 years or so. It's hard to ignore that and most here I don't know but they have few posts. I don't know if the bad reviews are user error or not. I read up some and heard that some used 3S and may have over done it.
I've never had a bad experience with a Sidewinder, however my experience with the SV2 specifically is limited. I think you will be just fine with the SV2. I run the Holmes BRXL and its nice for it's range of crawling specific features and capabilities to run higher voltages.