Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #281
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith

I hear ya, as I stated I have tons of room to gear down. I honestly dont have the terrain you do with all the nice boulders to scamper around on, Its a bit flatter here so I wanted a decent amount of speed to start with and go from there. I have another gear set of 60/10 is needed and can go even lower if desired, just trying to let the fellas know there are other options if a much lower KV motor is used.
BONDONUTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #282
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
“I want more speed than stock but still want to be able to crawl”

And I want a million dollars… Ok it’s not that far of a reach but having everything isn’t easy. The problem is that if you want more speed you are going to sacrifice things. Brushed motors will not last as long and will require maintenance but will have the best low end for crawling.* Brushless (must be sensored) will require very little maintenance but are more expensive and are not a good idea if you want to play in water and mud.

Do you plan on playing in water and mud?

If Yes- then brushed is your safest bet. Brushless can be made to play in the mud and water but you run the risk of damaging it. The faster the brushed motor you chose the faster you are going to burn it up in the rocks. If you want to still be able to crawl then you are not going to be able to get much faster than stock, that is something you have to deal with.

Best Choice: Holmes 13t Crawlmaster (5 slot motor which is similar to a 27t traditional 3 slot motor)

Middle Budget Choice:* Holmes TorqueMaster Expert 540 27t

Budget Choice: Holmes Sport 540 27t

If No - Then brushless is going to give you better results for speed and with the right setup can still crawl OK. If you want any crawling control you must use a sensored brushless system. It can give you good low speed control but still hit the higher speeds. There aren’t many “reliable” budget options without chancing it on a Hong Kong brand system, and I can’t personally recommend doing that.

Good Choices for ESC’s: Mamba Max Pro and Tekin RS Pro

Good Choices for Motor’s: Tekin 13.5 Redline, Tekin Pro 4 3300
would the tekin rs suffice?
davidq19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #283
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidq19 View Post
I believe so.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #284
Rock Crawler

been looking at this for a budget brushless, with a view to trying to waterproof it myself, 2400kv . my only problem could be the fan ?
anythoughts ?
RC 13.5T 2500KV Brushless Motor & 60A ESC EZRUN ME226 | eBay
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #285
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
been looking at this for a budget brushless, with a view to trying to waterproof it myself, 2400kv . my only problem could be the fan ?
anythoughts ?
RC 13.5T 2500KV Brushless Motor & 60A ESC EZRUN ME226 | eBay
Bad choice. Read the first few posts on what you need. That is senseless and those cheap ESC's generally have terrible braking. Spend the money on the right stuff once or you'll end up spending it again in the end.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #286
Rock Crawler

I have one similar in my e maxx and its crazy, and also reliable. I see what your saying but I am tempted, I don't crawl , luv quick trails. I've just burnt out my Titan 12t so am looking for something else with a bit of poke , I thought it was half torquey as well? I can't believe how the wraith is so difficult to find a good all rounder for.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #287
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
I have one similar in my e maxx and its crazy, and also reliable. I see what your saying but I am tempted, I don't crawl , luv quick trails. I've just burnt out my Titan 12t so am looking for something else with a bit of poke , I thought it was half torquey as well? I can't believe how the wraith is so difficult to find a good all rounder for.
It's not difficult. I have listed several examples as well as the things you would need to look for if you want something else. You have just picked one without those things.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #288
RCC Addict

I have a Hobby Wing 120a ESC in my 1/8th scale and like some others have said the brake is not all that great. Just do yourself a favor and put money into the electronics. I wouldn't try to ProTune or run my 400hp Subaru with a GameBoy. Buy a quality ESC and you won't be disappointed, get a Castle, Holmes Hobbies, or Tekin. At this point any one of these three will do great. I'm a HH and Castle guy, besides the MMP runs brushed or brushless , Sensored or sensorless. Best bang for the buck and right now it's 105 on RPPHobby.com. Good luck
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #289

Just ordered me up a 21 turn holmes 2012 team torquemaster motor. Im hoping this will be a good setup with my cc ae2 esc. I wanted to get the brxl combo but just couldnt suffice the price tag just yet.
Evil_s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #290
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_s10 View Post
Just ordered me up a 21 turn holmes 2012 team torquemaster motor. Im hoping this will be a good setup with my cc ae2 esc. I wanted to get the brxl combo but just couldnt suffice the price tag just yet.
I don't recommend a 540 motor below a 27t. You stand a higher chance of burning that motor when in the rocks. I go over this in the first few posts.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidq19 View Post
didn't wanna take my word for it??
jasons36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #292

Default Castle motor/esc and reverse rotation???

So when I installed a castle motor/esc and pulled the throttle on my transmitter my wraith should have gone backwards??? I dont get the reverse rotation? Why would they set it up this way to begin with? Is swapping the diffs the best solution?
hlomacfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #293
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlomacfly View Post
So when I installed a castle motor/esc and pulled the throttle on my transmitter my wraith should have gone backwards??? I dont get the reverse rotation? Why would they set it up this way to begin with? Is swapping the diffs the best solution?
You can program the rotation in the ESC or flip the diffs. The direction of rotation isn't a big deal really, it's by no means an oversight on their part. It just takes a little more knowledge to get everything correct.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #294
Rock Stacker

I am currently running a venom 4200 kv with 80 amp esc, pushed by a 2s 30c lipo, sometimes I run my maxamps 3s, with no problems... seeing as i have put an 88 tooth spur, 16 t pinion, hardened tranny gears, junfac shafts, hardened ring and pinions on hot racing spools inside rc4wd aluminum axles, with stock shafts going out to 40 series tires... I had the xvd front shafts, and snapped both of them in the deep clay on day, so stock dogbones hold up fine. If i really want to crawl, i put in a 12 t pinion, and it does pretty good. I have had to much fun running, so I havent posted pictures, but I will try this weekend.
summervillecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #295
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
No, he was talking about the Rockstar motor which is brushed. I will not buy any Novak brushless until I try one that is completely redesigned and up to current standards. The Timbuk 2 maybe ok but I am very skeptic of it still. Novak just keeps banking on that antique drag brake technology, hopefully this one is different.
Hi Harley,
I just ordered the Wraith kit and Have been searching the great wide web for what I want to put in it when I came across the Timbuck2 saying it is specifically designed for the Wraith. I know you are not a fan of Novak but here is what I will be using my Wraith for. I already have two highly modified AX10's. One with 4WS and one with a dig. I know you prefer the 4WS but Im putting a dig in my Wraith. So...I already have two crawler only rigs so I want my wraith to have more punch for jumping off logs, etc...Also would like to be able to drive in mud since my others cannot. I will be running 3s lipo. So by what you said in your above post are you saying you will be testing the Timbuk2 system? I would really like to know if the drag brake issue updated or redesigned to your likings. When/do you see yourself trying this system any time soon? Maybe I was just hooked by there marketing saying its the only system specifically designed for the Wraith ??

Thanks a bunch?
By the way...Your Wraith looks sick!

Last edited by Stan3535; 01-02-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Stan3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #296
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan3535 View Post
Hi Harley,
I just ordered the Wraith kit and Have been searching the great wide web for what I want to put in it when I came across the Timbuck2 saying it is specifically designed for the Wraith. I know you are not a fan of Novak but here is what I will be using my Wraith for. I already have two highly modified AX10's. One with 4WS and one with a dig. I know you prefer the 4WS but Im putting a dig in my Wraith. So...I already have two crawler only rigs so I want my wraith to have more punch for jumping off logs, etc...Also would like to be able to drive in mud since my others cannot. I will be running 3s lipo. So by what you said in your above post are you saying you will be testing the Timbuk2 system? I would really like to know if the drag brake issue updated or redesigned to your likings. When/do you see yourself trying this system any time soon? Maybe I was just hooked by there marketing saying its the only system specifically designed for the Wraith ??

Thanks a bunch?
By the way...Your Wraith looks sick!
If you want a good mud truck then nawab at want to stray away from brushless probably. Brushed is the reliable choice for mud and water.

I won't be testing a truck with the Timbuk 2 until spring. I highly doubt Novak has all of a sudden realized what they have been doing for 10 years is garbage so I wouldnt hold your breath for it.

I actually approached Novak maybe a year or two ago wanting to see about improving on something over there but nothing came about.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #297
Rock Stacker

I tried the novak timbuk two on my wriath, I smoked it... The sensors burnt out and locked it up. It did ok for a while but then I smelled it, all of a sudden it got hot and started smoking, Almost had fire when i finally got the battery unplugged!!!! I wasnt really happy with the esc to begin with, it is too small i think. The tighter spaces you cram the electronics into creates more heat. When I build my dingo, gonna use the wraith/castle esc and a tekin pro 35t. I suberged the esc before and no issues... If you want brushless, I would go with a traxxas waterproof, or venom waterproof system(have a venom 4200kv in my wraith, LOVE IT!!!). There not sensored, so not real good for crawling, but great for mud and wet stuff!!!
summervillecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #298
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info ! You both talked me out of the Timbuk2 system. I just got a email back from Holmes hobbies. He recommended the Torqumaster Sport 27T in my scenario? I was kinda surprised by that but he had a point about using a cheaper motor if I will be in the mud and snow since I live in Oregon. By going with this motor will I loose more top end speed or low torque? I really have no issue spending a little more. I have also decided to go with his waterproof BR-XL. So....anyone care to talk me into a different Holmes motor than the Sport?
Would love to hear any opinions from anyone running Holmes motors.
Thanks a bunch
Stan3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #299
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan3535 View Post
Thanks for the info ! You both talked me out of the Timbuk2 system. I just got a email back from Holmes hobbies. He recommended the Torqumaster Sport 27T in my scenario? I was kinda surprised by that but he had a point about using a cheaper motor if I will be in the mud and snow since I live in Oregon. By going with this motor will I loose more top end speed or low torque? I really have no issue spending a little more. I have also decided to go with his waterproof BR-XL. So....anyone care to talk me into a different Holmes motor than the Sport?
Would love to hear any opinions from anyone running Holmes motors.
Thanks a bunch
I believe I suggest that motor in post #2 as a cheaper option. It is true that what you plan to run in will be much harder on the motor so I also feel it is a good choice for you. Holmes is just being honest and telling you straight, rather than trying to sell you a motor twice the cost

The 27t is a good choice and will give you a good mix of speed and torque.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #300
Rock Stacker

I'm getting a wraith here in the next couple of days and looking to put my electronics from my SCX10 honcho over to it.. Any suggestions on upgrades that you guys recommend? I'm wanting to build a hill climber but still have enough slow power for trails.
jacobfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote