Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #341
20K Club

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj45lc View Post
Hi Harley what are your thoughs on a Novak Timbuk2/Ballistic Crawler Brushless System 13.5T ? thanks for the help
The novak programming is garbage. MANY better choices. Read the first page.

GARBAGE: TowerHobbies.com | 3224 Novak Timbuk2 13.5T System Wraith Edition w/5A BEC for $184

RECOMMENDED
Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes :: Motor Speed Controllers :: Mamba Max Pro - $129
Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes :: Motors :: Brushless Inrunners :: Tekin Redline sensored motors - $79

Total - $209
A little more money but infinitely better.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #342
Quarry Creeper

I run a mmp and did the novak build-a-ballistic motor. For the motor i went with a 13.5t, 13mm rotor and ceramic bearings for 100 bucks. Geared 56/14 32p, has butta smooth low speed and some nice top end I think i have the drag break at 75% and it holds nice!
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #343
Rock Stacker

been thinking about regearing for a while. running a 20c 5000mah 2s with the stock esc, titan 12t(have an extra since they're so cheap) and stock gearing. I have metal trans gears for when the stock ones go out, and i want to switch to 32P. What would get my gearing about the same as stock(seeing as the motor only gets luke warm now) in 32 pitch? i'd prefer a TAD lower over higher, but closest to stock would be my preferred. Mines mainly a hillclimber/trailrunner/rockracer/dune buggy that see's occasional very light crawling. Thanks!
irollgen4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #344
20K Club

Stock ratio is 4:1.

So just find what you want around there.

60/15 is 4:1
60/14 would be lower.

56/14 is 4:1
56/13 would be lower.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #345
Rock Stacker

awesome! thanks a bunch harley
irollgen4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #346
Pebble Pounder

LIke to switch to 32p but not sure which combo with a hh 35t motor, 3s.
Thanks!
Savage03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #347
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage03 View Post
LIke to switch to 32p but not sure which combo with a hh 35t motor, 3s.
Thanks!
Same gearing I just listed would work fine for you.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #348
Rock Stacker

hey there harley i was pretty much sold on the novak timbuk2 wraith edition,ive read everything i can on them and it seems like they would have more features and the most simplest user friendly programming out there, plus the 6 degrees of advanced timing at full throttle(rock boost) sounds pretty high end. but then i read that you think novak is garbage,so knowing how much you know i was wondering why you think that? have you had bad experiences with them, is there somthing novak isnt telling us or is this just personal view, i put the novak rooster and a novak motor in my scx10 and couldnt be more pleased. so to recap, HARLEY i know you dont think novak would be a good idea, was just wondering why to help me make my decision.
nuggsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by irollgen4s View Post
been thinking about regearing for a while. running a 20c 5000mah 2s with the stock esc, titan 12t(have an extra since they're so cheap) and stock gearing. I have metal trans gears for when the stock ones go out, and i want to switch to 32P. What would get my gearing about the same as stock(seeing as the motor only gets luke warm now) in 32 pitch? i'd prefer a TAD lower over higher, but closest to stock would be my preferred. Mines mainly a hillclimber/trailrunner/rockracer/dune buggy that see's occasional very light crawling. Thanks!
which speed do you reach with your 12 T and lipo 2S?
lemarseillais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #350
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggsmoker View Post
hey there harley i was pretty much sold on the novak timbuk2 wraith edition,ive read everything i can on them and it seems like they would have more features and the most simplest user friendly programming out there, plus the 6 degrees of advanced timing at full throttle(rock boost) sounds pretty high end. but then i read that you think novak is garbage,so knowing how much you know i was wondering why you think that? have you had bad experiences with them, is there somthing novak isnt telling us or is this just personal view, i put the novak rooster and a novak motor in my scx10 and couldnt be more pleased. so to recap, HARLEY i know you dont think novak would be a good idea, was just wondering why to help me make my decision.
Their marketing is good, however that's the extent of the good things. Their motors are ok but the ESC programming is tired. The reliability of Novak is also the lowest I've seen. I've owned their brushless systems (still have two of them). However they don't belong anywhere near a crawler, no matter what key words they try and throw in the marketing.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #351
Rock Stacker

thnx for the advise, gonna go ahead and steer clear from that combo
nuggsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #352

Alright another question for you all. I am running tekin 13.5, mmp, bec, and 4000mah 2s 20c. I was wandering if you all could give me any advice on what settings would be good on the mmp. I have stock gearing and also 14/58 32pitch. I would like setting advice for both gearing options. Thanks a lot for your time.
barnyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #353
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
Alright another question for you all. I am running tekin 13.5, mmp, bec, and 4000mah 2s 20c. I was wandering if you all could give me any advice on what settings would be good on the mmp. I have stock gearing and also 14/58 32pitch. I would like setting advice for both gearing options. Thanks a lot for your time.
No setting suggestions, I don't run anything different then linear profiles.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #354

What do you mean? Just the defaults? Even the drag break
Old 01-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #355
20K Club

Quote:
What do you mean? Just the defaults? Even the drag break
I'm just saying I don't have any specific settings. Just set stuff up basic and go. Not something needs a ton of tuning and thought beforehand.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #356

Gotcha. Thanks again Harley!
Old 01-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #357
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I run sensored only
advance the timing one or two profiles
crawler reverse
75% dragbrake, but i also have a 13mm rotor
I think thats about it, id have to plug it in to remember! Run 3s and you will love it
Old 01-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #358
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggsmoker View Post
If you don't mind another's opinion, I think the only advantage for Novak ESCs is their simplicity which can be good for a novice that already has a lot to learn about the hobby. But once you have experience you'll find that they lack a lot in terms of programability and flexibility.

Here's my personnal Novak story: I used Novaks for fun cars and trucks in the past 20 years and was happy with them. I got my first crawler a few years ago and a Novak Rooster Crawler without doing research; I replaced it just a few months later after realizing that the drag brake wasn't programmable and too strong for my fast setup, and I couldn't transfer it to one of my other non-crawler r/cs. I went with a Castle Creations Sidewinder which has tons of programablity using a PC with their USB cable and have since bought 3 more.

I'm now looking at putting a Mamba Max Pro (also from Castle) with a Tekin 13.5T in my Wraith, I just have to decide between 2S and 3S (I'd appreciate anyone's comments on voltage selection).
YJ_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #359
Quarry Creeper

With the 13.5t i would run 3s. Just as good down low but more top end if ya want it
Old 01-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #360
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableman View Post
With the 13.5t i would run 3s. Just as good down low but more top end if ya want it
I'm not putting in a MMP and 13.5T to go slow, so thanks for the reply. I was just worried about temps, but I'll just have to keep an eye on that.
YJ_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote