Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #421

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith

Wow, what a pile of info! Thanks for all the work keepin it up, I'm learning as fast as I can go through the pages.
getoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #422
Rock Crawler

im running the timbuck 2 and want to change to something better not real happy, want more speed able to use 3s packs and be a good crawler NO cogging went there alread just get more confused the more i read. please make my desisision for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mtgrizzlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #423
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgrizzlymn View Post
im running the timbuck 2 and want to change to something better not real happy, want more speed able to use 3s packs and be a good crawler NO cogging went there alread just get more confused the more i read. please make my desisision for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Read post 2. It gives specific models. Just pick a setup.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #424
Quarry Creeper

Not saying this is for everyone due to haveing to dremel a link mount slightly but I recently installed a Tekin SCX4 550 2pole 4000kv with a MMP running 2s and It's butter smooth at tiny throttle inputs and has more power than my buddies HH 35T on 3s. It's geared 52/13 for almost 20mph, yeah thats crazy fast but I also do a little FOFF action with it and the wheel speed is a blessing here in FL since the terrain is dry and loose mostly.
I tried several sensored motor/esc combos and this is one I'm sticking with for sure !
BONDONUTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #425
RCC Addict

Help me out guys. I know I want to run the Tekin 4 pole 4x4 sensored motor. Just can't decide on the 3300 or 4000. This isn't really gonna be a crawler so super lower speed isn't really needed. I really just want to haul ass and jump stuff. I keep getting different info from local racers so I was hoping a couple of you are running them and could give some input. I plan on running 3 cell and a Mamba Max Pro.

Thanks,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #426
20K Club

The 3300 is pretty fast. When I had the VXL in mine (3700) it was pretty much in controllable on the top end.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #427
RCC Addict

Thanks man, so the 4000 would a jack ass move. I can't wait to finally get to drive this pig How does this style motor compare to the motor in the post above mine?

Thanks,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #428

Is the Timbuk 2 a POS? I just bought one. Hope not...
quadracer905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #429

motors with 5mm shafts....

The question is this...
I have a Castle Creations Max Race Pro SCT 25.2V 3800kV System
I found that Robinson Racing Hard 48P Machined 17T Pinion 5m/m Bore
is the smallest pinion that is made to work on a 48p system....
Otherwise it will be needed to converted to 32p ???? Could someone explain this? oR is it already 32p gears??

This uses a 5mm shaft (like the pro4) and if guys are using that then I know I could use this one as well...

Could some one provide part #'s or should I ask in a dif/ post?

I have other options from a older AE sphere brushless/brushed and have a Epic brushed stocker....for 1/10 stadium trucks...
I have all the lathes and all the other junk that goes with the brushed motors...so isn't a issue...but This will be going
into my sons truck...He is 7yrs old...The XR-10 is too much of a serious crawler for him....
And you can't start piecemealing electronics together, and expect it to work properly...EX...dif. turn motors and dif. brand speed controllers and dif. bats...

Last edited by kochj; 02-11-2012 at 10:27 PM.
kochj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #430
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochj View Post
motors with 5mm shafts....

The question is this...
I have a Castle Creations Max Race Pro SCT 25.2V 3800kV System
I found that Robinson Racing Hard 48P Machined 17T Pinion 5m/m Bore
is the smallest pinion that is made to work on a 48p system....
Otherwise it will be needed to converted to 32p ???? Could someone explain this? oR is it already 32p gears??

This uses a 5mm shaft (like the pro4) and if guys are using that then I know I could use this one as well...

Could some one provide part #'s or should I ask in a dif/ post?

I have other options from a older AE sphere brushless/brushed and have a Epic brushed stocker....for 1/10 stadium trucks...
I have all the lathes and all the other junk that goes with the brushed motors...so isn't a issue...but This will be going
into my sons truck...He is 7yrs old...The XR-10 is too much of a serious crawler for him....
And you can't start piecemealing electronics together, and expect it to work properly...EX...dif. turn motors and dif. brand speed controllers and dif. bats...

Stock the truck comes with 48p gears. Most people go to 32p when they start throwing big power in it. I would suggest you do the same. 60/14 gearing would be a good start.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #431
Pebble Pounder

I currently have a Tekin RS with the latest firmware update with a 13.5 Redline running on 3s that I pulled from my shortcourse truck. I really like the speed and slow crawling ability but would like the drag brake to hold on decents. I have it turned all the way up but it acts more like a decent control as it still rolls slowly on decents regardless of forward and reverse, it will hold if I give it a little brake or trim it on the transmitter when I need it to hold. My question is, does the Mamba Max Pro hold any better than the Tekin RS or is this just the way it is? I'll switch ESC's if it's better, if not I'll just live with it.

Thanks
Ugly Truckling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #432
RCC Addict

My brushes need to be replaced, I'm just wondering how long should set of brushes last on a HH 13T on 3s with a 54/14 ratio. I do crawling but also do speed runs I probabily have about 2 hrs of total run time.
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #433
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
My brushes need to be replaced, I'm just wondering how long should set of brushes last on a HH 13T on 3s with a 54/14 ratio. I do crawling but also do speed runs I probabily have about 2 hrs of total run time.
I don't know how long I had on my last set, but it was longer then 2 hours. I am guessing I have 6-8 hours on each set.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #434
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I don't know how long I had on my last set, but it was longer then 2 hours. I am guessing I have 6-8 hours on each set.
What would you suggest for a brushed motor if I want to change out the motor for fast runs only. I 'm running a BRXL.

Thanks
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #435
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
What would you suggest for a brushed motor if I want to change out the motor for fast runs only. I 'm running a BRXL.

Thanks
Fast only and brushed... Hmmm maybe a 17 turn at the lowest, there is a lot of drag in these trucks and I'm skeptic about their ability to keep a fast motor from burning up.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #436
Pebble Pounder

Hello! I finally came, my set of MMP 1/10 and Tekin Redline 17.5. Running on 3s.
But how strange, on a small turnover will not want to climb. There is a smooth startup. Maybe I did not have the correct settings?
What will advise checking out! mode is automatically MMP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0nBW...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by asiddd; 02-13-2012 at 11:06 AM.
asiddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #437
Quarry Creeper

Q for someone Brushed savy; Can a high qaulity Brushed motor (Holmes Etc) be run on 4s with a MambaMaxPro with the BEC disconnected of course ?
Old 02-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #438
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Truckling View Post
I currently have a Tekin RS with the latest firmware update with a 13.5 Redline running on 3s that I pulled from my shortcourse truck. I really like the speed and slow crawling ability but would like the drag brake to hold on decents. I have it turned all the way up but it acts more like a decent control as it still rolls slowly on decents regardless of forward and reverse, it will hold if I give it a little brake or trim it on the transmitter when I need it to hold. My question is, does the Mamba Max Pro hold any better than the Tekin RS or is this just the way it is? I'll switch ESC's if it's better, if not I'll just live with it.

Thanks
MMP has a "Crawler Brake" setting or can be manually set up to 213% drag brake. Simple answer is YES, the MMP has Hella drag brake.
I'm running a Tekin SCX4 550 2pole 4000kv and my Wraith weighs 8+ lbs and the drag brake set at 150% and it keeps it locked up on decent.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #439
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONDONUTZ View Post
MMP has a "Crawler Brake" setting or can be manually set up to 213% drag brake. Simple answer is YES, the MMP has Hella drag brake.
I'm running a Tekin SCX4 550 2pole 4000kv and my Wraith weighs 8+ lbs and the drag brake set at 150% and it keeps it locked up on decent.

Thanks for the info BondoNutz I know there are better ESC's for brushed motors, I just wanted something to work with my brushless motor. It sounds like what I need. Looks like I'll be ordering me a MMP to replace the RS.
Ugly Truckling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #440

Great thread for motor/esc stuff, maybe too good. My eyes are spinning.
I just cooked my stock motor, I'm looking to crawl mostly with some bashing/donuts etc... I'm gonna keep the stock esc for now, I'm looking at the HH 13t CM or a 27t TM. Any preferences?
Also looking to regear spur and pinion???
Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by BIGNASTY; 02-13-2012 at 06:44 PM.
BIGNASTY is offline   Reply With Quote