Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #61
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
I will be running the F/R Servos just Like your 4WS system set up.
The BEC Pro is a good upgrade then.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Thank you sir, i just bit the bullet, now I can sleep at night knowing that my parts are on the way so that I can start my build While my son get's his Axial Wraith for his BirthDay next week. Thanks again Harley I will be posting up pic's of the build and my son tearing up the dirt trails and rocks.
Motor 13 Team Edition
Holmes Waterproof BRXL
Castle Creation BEC PRO.
muddywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
Thank you sir, i just bit the bullet, now I can sleep at night knowing that my parts are on the way so that I can start my build While my son get's his Axial Wraith for his BirthDay next week. Thanks again Harley I will be posting up pic's of the build and my son tearing up the dirt trails and rocks.
Motor 13 Team Edition
Holmes Waterproof BRXL
Castle Creation BEC PRO.
I think you got the last one. Just looked at their site & they're showing out of stock on a lot of motors. I knew I should have ordered up yesterday before I went to work
slickwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

is the wraith novak system worth it. is it all its supose to be. getting my wraih kit for xmas from the kids and want to start collecting parts .
snohiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #65
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by snohiker View Post
is the wraith novak system worth it. is it all its supose to be. getting my wraih kit for xmas from the kids and want to start collecting parts .
Unless they have completely redone their programming then skip it! I'll try and see if I can see one in person. At this point I strongly discourage any Novak ESC.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #66
Rock Crawler

The new tombuk2 has this"Rock Boost" feature that is supposed to give 3s speed on 2s lipos.. I wonder how many degrees of timing they are adding???

My buddy has a Goat 3S 18.5t in his wraith and it's really torquey but is slower than my stock system he uses 3000mah nanoteck 3s lipos i use a 2s 5200 turnigy hardcase.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #67
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwillie View Post
I think you got the last one. Just looked at their site & they're showing out of stock on a lot of motors. I knew I should have ordered up yesterday before I went to work

Sorry slickwillie, when Harley gave me the confirmation on that set up I had to jump all over it. I'm pretty sure their will be more soon. If it will make you feel better I have'nt gotten none of the Axial Wraiths yet still waiting.
muddywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #68
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkawi650 View Post
The new tombuk2 has this"Rock Boost" feature that is supposed to give 3s speed on 2s lipos.. I wonder how many degrees of timing they are adding???

My buddy has a Goat 3S 18.5t in his wraith and it's really torquey but is slower than my stock system he uses 3000mah nanoteck 3s lipos i use a 2s 5200 turnigy hardcase.

I don't take anything Novak says for truth. Look at the epic fail of the M2 dig. Their biggest issue is the drag brake on all their ESC's. They are using 20 year old technology damn near. If they are going to try and support crawlers they need to take a look at why the competition is stomping them into the ground in all cases.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:09 AM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by craddock35 View Post
It has no drag brake, in my opinion it is way to fast for a Wraith and will do nothing but cog on crawling. Read the first post that Harley put up. If you Want to run brushless and do any kind of crawling it needs to be "Sensored" non sensored will just cog on low end.
Please understand that I'm not trying to p*** in anybody's cheerios, however I realize it may seem like that. In regards to the VXL system and the relentless amounts of hate it receives,.. I am not sure exactly when it did what to who, but I love mine.

For the record it was not my first choice but it was however a free choice. I did not wear my Traxxas panties and go shopping for it. I was killing brushed motors like it was my job and a buddy said here try this. Now high above on my Traxxas soapbox I will say in the last 2 months I've stuffed at least 150 4000mah 3S packs down it's throat and it has never wimpered.

If your stuck with the VXL-3s esc then you have this silly noob feature called training mode, and it's awesome for crawling, it limits you to 50% power and doubles the resolution of your throttle. So you can crawl on noob mode with 50% of too much, then go to the front yard hit the button on the esc and have 20+mph for open spaces. It's like having a manual electric 2 speed.

On 2S with 16/87 @100% it's a little faster than a jog, I use 2S when me and the dog go to the park for trail rides, still has plenty of wheel speed for trail running and buckets of torque. Crawling @100% on any S requires pretty serious concentration, a little to much input might send it into the neighbors yard. 3S is a hoot PERIOD well til it breaks lol. lf you happen to buy too much power and have a fancy esc you could just set the % of power you'd like to have.

Sure I miss the drag brake, but you can actually train yourself to hold it there with your fingee. Yes it's more difficult but it makes some not so enjoyable trails more fun as line choice and momentum are more critical. Also my Wraith spends a good bit of time with the wheels not touching and the drag only made it fall from the sky like a turd, unless I risk landing on the throttle and donating my driveshafts to the yard. I had it disabled on the stock esc,... do I wish I could just turn it back on? yes.

Cogging... I have 0 cogging, don't believe me? watch for yourself.

That's 16/87 with unweighted tires and the 3S 4000mah in the back. I actually recommend 14/87 for crawling but 16/87 is my do-all gear. There's videos of all sorts of different weights and gearing if you think I'm full of BS, watch them all! I need the views... check for cogging have a good time. Can I run 20/80 with no cogging? no, 18/87 is about the last of the crawlable gears.

Now I'm not saying for everybody to burn what the have and go buy a VXL. But if you have a buddy with one, or pick one up off ebay for 125$,.. I think it's a good buy. It's cheap, durable, waterproof, and has more than enough power. It's also rebuildable, and I have been told you can purchase a lifetime warranty on a new one from Traxxas for like 30 bucks, I don't know this for sure.

No one gearing is perfect for everything so don't be afraid to change it. Crawling takes gear reduction to reduce the strain on the driveline. If you want to have a dedicated crawler and only have a VXL, or an 8th scale buggy motor in the closet, just gear it to the moon. Start at 10/87 if that doesn't work RC4WD I think has down to a 6t pinion, couple that with a 90t spur and the 43/13 diffs and you've got silly gear reduction. The cogging is just a motor below it's designed RPM comfort zone, if you gear any non-sensored motor low enough it should eliminate cogging.

Changing the gearing is easy too, no really... you only need 4 chassis screws, I loosen the back 2 and remove the fronts. I only run the lower screw in my spur cover, all the screws can be easily reached by pulling or compressing the front suspension. I run 14/87 rocks, 16/87 rocks/mix, 18/87mix/highspeed, 20/87 for sand and parking lots, and 22/87 to clear the x-over at the track. I haven't ran all 8 screws since the beginning of October, I actually was testing gearing and forgot to put them all back in before I went to the track and broke the axle. So if I broke the axle with 4 screws and didn't hurt the chassis you guys not trying to break yours have nothing to worry about.

Bottom line... IMO If your the basher guy that's melted 100 bucks worth of engines and wants a waterproof 125$ fix and are willing to make some compromises then maybe the VXL is perfect for you.

Hope this helps somebody, and doesn't offend too many others
Speedweigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #70
Rock Stacker

Which motor and water proof esc takes the least amount of modification? Thanks for all the help

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk
redneck crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #71
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedweigand View Post
Bottom line... IMO If your the basher guy that's melted 100 bucks worth of engines and wants a waterproof 125$ fix and are willing to make some compromises then maybe the VXL is perfect for you.

Hope this helps somebody, and doesn't offend too many others
That's all good and all but the simple fact of not having drag brake makes the VXL ESC an absolute no go for me. I ran it in my Wraith at first so this is first hand info. I would not suggest it to anyone even at the $125 price point. If its free and you don't have a better option than clearly that's not really an argument.

It's missing the a huge part of what is NEEDED for a crawler/trail rig.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #72
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck crawler View Post
Which motor and water proof esc takes the least amount of modification? Thanks for all the help

What do you mean? Your motor and ESC don't generally take any modification.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #73
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Misfit View Post
I have the Holmes Sport 540 35t with a 12t pinion stock spur. I had to slot the motor plat an i also added some small spacers between the motor plat an motor so the motor would slide over just a little more.
Manly the motor fitting the stock motor plate, the shaft being the right leanth and fitting an esc in the stock location I'm using an old nimh stick pack so I don't see much room for relocating the esc to the back of the truck

Old 11-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #74
20K Club

Quote:
Manly the motor fitting the stock motor plate, the shaft being the right leanth and fitting an esc in the stock location I'm using an old nimh stick pack so I don't see much room for relocating the esc to the back of the truck

Even with a stick pack you could probably relocate but thats not a big deal.

The Holmes ESC or Castle Sidewinder would be best for drop in ESC's. However you would have to waterproof the Holmes on your own.

On the motor, just get the right gearing and there is no modification needed.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

Just dropped a Traxxas 21t 550 stinger in my Wraith running on a Castle SV2 ESC. I have 20/87 gearing and the thing has gobs more torque than the stock 20 turn. Seems to be about the same speed, maybe a hair slower. But the low speed control is awesome.. $22 for a motor is pretty cheap. If it holds up for a while it'll be a cheap option for a fella who doesn't want to spend a bundle for more torque.. Best is, this motor was designed For 14.8volts so 2s is a joke for it and 3s should be no problem either. I was using it with 2s and its so smooth and quiet.

Just have to shave a little of the link mount to fit a 550 can in there.

madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #76
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Even with a stick pack you could probably relocate but thats not a big deal.

The Holmes ESC or Castle Sidewinder would be best for drop in ESC's. However you would have to waterproof the Holmes on your own.

On the motor, just get the right gearing and there is no modification needed.
Thanks for the info my stock esc just quite on me no lights no beeping nothing. I'm going to go with the holmes tourqe master esc do you think the jp customs 35t warrior would be a good motor for running trails?

Old 11-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #77
20K Club

Quote:
Thanks for the info my stock esc just quite on me no lights no beeping nothing. I'm going to go with the holmes tourqe master esc do you think the jp customs 35t warrior would be a good motor for running trails?

Absolutely. That will be great motor for that type.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #78
Rock Stacker

Im running a mamba max pro, but stock well second stock motor... I cant decide, i had a brushless in there but replacing parts became more regular than trail runnin lol, if i go sensored whats a decent high torque not so insane brushless motot rating.... Or whats a decent brushed motor... These axial cans only take so much of a 3 cell

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk
Elliott000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #79
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott000 View Post
Im running a mamba max pro, but stock well second stock motor... I cant decide, i had a brushless in there but replacing parts became more regular than trail runnin lol, if i go sensored whats a decent high torque not so insane brushless motot rating.... Or whats a decent brushed motor... These axial cans only take so much of a 3 cell

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk
Sensored brushless, about a 17.5 is a good mix. 21.5 is too slow IMO.

OR go with a 27 or 35 turn brushed. I run a 13t Crawlmaster which is about a 27t and it's fantastic.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #80
Rock Stacker

I would like to do some crawling but not a ton. I would like decent speed but still be able to go in water, so no brushless. I was thinking sidewinder or holmes esc, but i'm stuck on what motor to get the best speed with and still be able to go in water.
Sorry if this has already been answered before.
dogzpolo is offline   Reply With Quote