Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #921

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

And it sound like I may heve been better of going with the 25T HH TM Pro motor.
DCOG11B72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #922
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCOG11B72 View Post
Harley...
Ok thank you! What if I went with a 32P 56t spur and a 13T pinion?
That's still not at low. Simply divide the spur by the pinion to calc the ratio.

This guide gives guidance on motors. The first page has all the good info. I suggest no faster than a 27t brushed motor. If you want faster you need to go brushless.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #923

Ok. I did that originaly and I am not happy with the results. My NOVAK TIMBUK2 wraith edition failed way too fast as for what it has been toated to be able to do! Ill try out the 21T and go from there. I'm mainly going to be bashing with it but maybe ill get a 27t TM or a 13T or 11T CM. Thanks again Harley for all the great info! Kinda frustrating but still verry cool hobby....cant wait till I know more about it.
DCOG11B72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #924

I am running a 55t with 80(robinson slipper unit)/ 18 gearing. Stock ESC/ 2s lipo and I still feel like it powers out. any suggestions?? I just want it to crawl anywhere I point without powering out.
deerred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #925
20K Club

3s lipo and gearing like I suggest on the first page.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #926

Thanks Harley,

So your thinking going up to an 84/18. Swap the ESC for one that can handle 3S and stay with a 55t brushed?

I am new at this but learning a long the way.

I have swapped out the entire front drive to all aluminum. I have beadlocks running tsl's with no foam, and 3oz of weight in the fronts 1 1/2oz in the rears.

I need a new servo and was thinking of a castle BEC to run it. Any suggestions on a servo and is chassi mounting worth it?

Hopefully I am the right track, i have a lot invested into this little buggie.

Thanks again Harley, You have a huge following on here!
deerred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #927
Rock Stacker

Great thread.........only WAY to long! LOL

I am running 32P 60/10 spur/pinion with the 27T Axial motor and want to upgrade the motor (I think.....) I am doing mainly crawling with some trail driving. So far I am liking the power/speed from this setup on a 2S. It is a bit slower than I want and am thinking about going to a 11 or 12 pinion when a bit more wheel speed is wanted.

If I decide to upgrade the ECS/motor, which would be better ..... Holmes Hobby CrawlMaster Pro 13T w/ BRXL or Timbuk2 Wraith edition? I am not planning on a lot of water/mud driving but want to be sure that I could get it a bit wet when needed.
ScottinBend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #928
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinBend View Post
Great thread.........only WAY to long! LOL

I am running 32P 60/10 spur/pinion with the 27T Axial motor and want to upgrade the motor (I think.....) I am doing mainly crawling with some trail driving. So far I am liking the power/speed from this setup on a 2S. It is a bit slower than I want and am thinking about going to a 11 or 12 pinion when a bit more wheel speed is wanted.

If I decide to upgrade the ECS/motor, which would be better ..... Holmes Hobby CrawlMaster Pro 13T w/ BRXL or Timbuk2 Wraith edition? I am not planning on a lot of water/mud driving but want to be sure that I could get it a bit wet when needed.
Have you considered picking up a BEC and a 3s battery? The extra voltage will make it roughly 30% faster with a lot more torque.

Later
Speed
Speedweigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #929

If I put a 55t motor in my wraith with stock gearing would it be similar to a honcho with a 35t motor with stock gearing thanks
lurchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #930
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurchy View Post
If I put a 55t motor in my wraith with stock gearing would it be similar to a honcho with a 35t motor with stock gearing thanks
It's hard to say exactly because there isn't an exact kv correlation to brushed motors. But the taller gearing as well as larger rollout from the 2.2's should make it fairly close.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #931
Rock Stacker

i havent read through this entire thread. its SUPER long!
wanting a suggestion though.
ill mainly be crawling, but want enough wheel speed for trails and climbing dirt hills. i saw you recommended the 13t crawlmaster, but how good will the 13t crawl? should i go 16?

also, would you recommend 2s or 3s if it were yours? will also be using a cc bec for servo
zkid009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:28 AM   #932
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkid009 View Post
i havent read through this entire thread. its SUPER long!
wanting a suggestion though.
ill mainly be crawling, but want enough wheel speed for trails and climbing dirt hills. i saw you recommended the 13t crawlmaster, but how good will the 13t crawl? should i go 16?

also, would you recommend 2s or 3s if it were yours? will also be using a cc bec for servo
You really only need to read the first page. It will give you most of the info you need. 3s is always my choice. 13t will still crawl decently. A 16t crawlmaster or 35t torque master would be better crawling choices though. Again, read the first page.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:48 AM   #933
Rock Stacker

I read the first page, I was just a little unclear I guess.
Were the results in first page on 2s, 3s or what?
Is the 13t on 3s enough to crawl really slow but still have the power to get some decent speed as well?

I'm wanting to be able to crawl pretty well because that'll probably be what I'll do the most. I'm just torn between 13 and 16 because I have not used either
zkid009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:04 AM   #934
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkid009 View Post
I read the first page, I was just a little unclear I guess.
Were the results in first page on 2s, 3s or what?
Is the 13t on 3s enough to crawl really slow but still have the power to get some decent speed as well?

I'm wanting to be able to crawl pretty well because that'll probably be what I'll do the most. I'm just torn between 13 and 16 because I have not used either
If you want better crawlability then go 16. Wheel speed will decrease but you really can't have all world's.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #935
Rock Crawler

Harley,

I ordered the crawlmaster combo a few days ago with a 13T motor. I did not ask for any timing to be added to the motor.

Should I have? I'll be using my wraith as an all around rig (trail running, crawling some bashing). As there is a 2 week lead time I figure I still have time to request added timing.

Thanks for all your write ups. Super helpful.

Cheers.

*Edit - reading through the HH Vendor section I found a tech article on timing the motor. Thanks anyway Harley.

Last edited by BadWagon; 11-26-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: I learned how to time a motor....
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #936

I'm sorry, I tried to sift through this thread and find my info. But I probably missed it. I definitely read the first page though

My buddy found a Motor/ESC combo that he wants to run. What kind of characteristics should we expect from Tekin FX-R 45T HD Combo? (Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes :: Combos :: FXR Rock Crawler Combo 45t Pro)

He's into crawling, so I suggested one of these, based on your posts on the first page:
TorqueMaster Crawlmaster combo: Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes :: Combos :: TorqueMaster Crawlmaster combo
TorqueMaster Expert combo: Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes :: Combos :: TorqueMaster Expert combo

Do my suggestions come with adequate ESC's?

I have been gathering different gears so that we can play around with our options, so we'll figure that part out 2nd.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Matt Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #937
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
He's into crawling, so I suggested one of these, based on your posts on the first page:
TorqueMaster Crawlmaster combo: Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes :: Combos :: TorqueMaster Crawlmaster combo
TorqueMaster Expert combo: Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes :: Combos :: TorqueMaster Expert combo

Do my suggestions come with adequate ESC's?

I have been gathering different gears so that we can play around with our options, so we'll figure that part out 2nd.

Thanks for any help you can give!
If he's into crawling I would suggest a 35t Torquemaster in the combo you listed. The Holmes ESC is perfect for it too.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #938

I'll pass on the info. Thanks for such a quick reply!

Wonder if that ESC would work with this motor whenever it finally comes out... Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes :: Motors :: Brushed :: Puller 540 Crawler TTC motor

Not enough info to really be able to tell.
Matt Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #939
Quarry Creeper

i run a 55t motor w stock gearing and i love it,,, goes up anything i want depending on traction,,, muddy hill climbs not so good, but rocks, dirt, water trail runs, 55t stock gearing perfect for me,,,
JDCrawler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #940
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
I'll pass on the info. Thanks for such a quick reply!

Wonder if that ESC would work with this motor whenever it finally comes out... Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes :: Motors :: Brushed :: Puller 540 Crawler TTC motor

Not enough info to really be able to tell.
It most certainly will. I ran that motor for quite awhile with John while he was testing it in Oregon.