Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #1061
20K Club

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
wanted first a tekin combo with a tekin rs and a speed passion 7.5T brushless motor,but enede up with this combo:

Flux Vapor Pro Waterproof Speed Control - 106767 at HPI Europe
and
Flux Vektor 4000kv Brushless Motor - 106768 at HPI Europe

did i go wrong or i ended up good?is the combo that comes from factory on the savage xs flux

gearing will be 56/14 32 pitch with duratrax evader spur and RR pinion
As the first page said, you need a sensored speed control for any slow speed control. That system will not work. Also a 7.5 would have been way too fast. A 13.5 is about right.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #1062
Quarry Creeper

not planing to do any crawling with that,i have a comp crawler,it's just for bashing.i had before a hobby king combo with a 11.5T motor and 45A esc,but it was whery slow.i wont be needing low speed,since it will be a basher/rock racer,planing on going fast
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #1063
Quarry Creeper

anybody running a roc412 motor yet? Thinking about a pro4 3300 or the roc412 3100. Thanks
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #1064
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
anybody running a roc412 motor yet? Thinking about a pro4 3300 or the roc412 3100. Thanks
They will be pretty similar although the Roc is going to be slightly slower but still just as powerful.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #1065
RCC Addict

I like the ROC 412 motor would you guys think it's a MUST HAVE to change to a 32 pitch gear and bullet proof trans? Already have HD gears in axles and Gmade shafts. Thanks in advance.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #1066
Quarry Creeper

There's a video on YouTube of a pro4 vs roc412 in a wraith
MiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:27 AM   #1067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
GEARING!

Ok, I've answered the "what gearing for my xxxxx setup" question about 346 times too many. It's time to try and cover it as best I can here. *However the issue is that it goes hand in hand with motor choice, so this could get windy. These are all just starting points and there are hundreds or thousands of combinations. This is just a quick reference to get new people started in the right direction.

First off, when I refer to numbers in the format similar to "80/20", this means 80 tooth spur/20 tooth pinion. So, 84/14 would mean 84t spur/14t pinion, clear?

Are you running a stock motor? Short story, 84/16

If so then your gearing choices are limited but should be handled immediately if you are running the RTR. The stock gearing 80/20 (4:1 ratio) is too high of a ratio for the stock motor. The stock motor will not last you long anyway but if you want to extend it's life you need to regear, NOW. You are going to lose speed, there is just no way around it, I would suggest an 84/16 (5.25:1 ratio) setup.

Are you running a little higher speed brushed or brushless (Examples: 13t CrawlMaster, 27t TorqueMaster, 13.5 Redline)? Short Story, 56/12 32p (brushed) 56/14 32p (brushless)

Did you read the post #2? If you are running something I suggested (or similar to that) then the stock gear ratio is probably fine for you. The problem is that the little 48 pitch gears can't hold the power, you need to upgrade to 32 pitch gears. The stock ratio of 4:1 is fine, so you just need to equivalent in 32p. 56/14 is the same ratio. You can still run the stock spur cover with this setup as well. If you want a little more strength and tooth contact area you can go to 60/15 but the stock spur cover is likely a no go. Also with the 60/15 setup some motors require you to do a little filing on the motor plate to slide the motor over further. If you are running/wanting a Tekin Pro4 (or similar high power brushless) then see the last section.

Are you running something for mostly trails and crawling (example, 35t Torqemaster)? Short Story, 84/18

If you changed out your motor to something with a little more low end control and power then you likely could benefit from a better gear ratio. This isn't a must for a setup in this range however. The stock ratio is OK, but just not ideal in my opinion for someone who is looking to spend most of their time going slow. I do still feel that even if you're a rock crawler only that you will benefit from some wheel speed. I would suggest that if you do change gearing you start with an 84/18 setup.

Are you running a Tekin Pro4 (or similar high power brushless)? Short story. just read the rest of it!

If so then you likely need to build everything as strong as possible. I have gone this route personally. My suggestion is the 56t Gen3 metal spur and slipper setup from Robinson racing. To run this setup you will also need to buy a Traxxas slipper rebuild kit, all you will use from this kit is a black spring and a lock nut though. The next thing you need to buy is the Beefy top shaft from v84x4 here on RCC. I will include a link shortly. With the Pro4 you also must buy a pinion that has a 5mm bore and is hardened steel so that it wears more slowly against the steel spur gear, a 14t pinion is my suggestion. The Pro4 is very high power and you will likely spend the rest of your money replacing things in the truck since it was never meant to have something like this bolted into it!

That is my best first shot at handling this question. I'll come back and edit as required.
I am in the process of purchasing the Wraith Kit and am eyeing the Tekin Pro4. Everything that I am reading about it is getting me excited. I am going with the robinson racing lineup that you suggested 56t Gen3 metal spur and slipper. You mention a Traxxas Slipper rebuild kit (what is the part number?) and a beefy top shaft v84x4 (where can I get that?) You mention replacing other things in the truck since the motor is so powerful. What things do I need to replace? I assume the driveline. What specific parts need to be upgraded to support the Pro4? Also, any step by steps covering the replacement of the spur gear? I know that it is easy to do, but I am concerned about what I need to do with the Traxxas rebuild kit and the top shaft v84x4.
mob0430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #1068
Rock Crawler

wanting to stay with the stock esc how low of a turn Tekin brushless can I go? 17.5 or 21.5
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #1069
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob0430 View Post
I am in the process of purchasing the Wraith Kit and am eyeing the Tekin Pro4. Everything that I am reading about it is getting me excited. I am going with the robinson racing lineup that you suggested 56t Gen3 metal spur and slipper. You mention a Traxxas Slipper rebuild kit (what is the part number?) and a beefy top shaft v84x4 (where can I get that?) You mention replacing other things in the truck since the motor is so powerful. What things do I need to replace? I assume the driveline. What specific parts need to be upgraded to support the Pro4? Also, any step by steps covering the replacement of the spur gear? I know that it is easy to do, but I am concerned about what I need to do with the Traxxas rebuild kit and the top shaft v84x4.
Ready my other guide on building a bullet proof wraith. You'll have to search for it.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #1070
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatefulboy View Post
wanting to stay with the stock esc how low of a turn Tekin brushless can I go? 17.5 or 21.5
You can still run a 13.5. But change it out to 32p when you get the chance. There is no reason to let some $4 parts determine your build.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #1071
Rock Crawler

thanks Harley! Already upgraded to HR steel gears and a RRP 48p 80t steel spur/slipper. Should I go ahead and upgrade the drive shafts w/the 13.5? Running 2s right now.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #1072
20K Club

Quote:
thanks Harley! Already upgraded to HR steel gears and a RRP 48p 80t steel spur/slipper. Should I go ahead and upgrade the drive shafts w/the 13.5? Running 2s right now.
Either upgrade or do some of the free mods to beef them up. I suggest MIP's personally.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #1073
Rock Crawler

Sorry, just to make sure, I can run a brushless on the ae-2? If so, how do I wire it?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #1074
20K Club

Quote:
Sorry, just to make sure, I can run a brushless on the ae-2? If so, how do I wire it?
No you cannot.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #1075
Quarry Creeper

I finally made up my mind and ordered a 13t CrawlMaster Pro 540 and can't wait for trying it on my Wraith!
slimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #1076
Quarry Creeper

I have a Turnigy XK3650-4400KV motor. My 13.5 Tekin is in my 2wd buggy.
Which pinion would you suggest 13t or 14t? I have a 54t spur.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #1077
Rock Stacker

I just picked my Tekin ROC 412 2300kv and a MMP. Have stock gearing and will change when I strip them. I'll have fun till then.
wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #1078
Rock Stacker

So I'm new to this rig and this hobby in general. I bought my Wraith to drive in the woods, but I enjoy crawling also (though not competitively).

I am thinking of getting the vanquish 10 pc links and their stage 1 kit. Now my question is- will this be too much weight and burn up my stock motor? How long can I expect to get out of my stock motor and gearing? I don't see the point in replacing it until it busts. I am already having to get a new servo and servo arm ya know.
copenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #1079
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by copenhagen View Post
So I'm new to this rig and this hobby in general. I bought my Wraith to drive in the woods, but I enjoy crawling also (though not competitively).

I am thinking of getting the vanquish 10 pc links and their stage 1 kit. Now my question is- will this be too much weight and burn up my stock motor? How long can I expect to get out of my stock motor and gearing? I don't see the point in replacing it until it busts. I am already having to get a new servo and servo arm ya know.
Lower the gearing right away and the stock motor will last you a little while. Go to 87t spur and 14t pinion.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #1080
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Lower the gearing right away and the stock motor will last you a little while. Go to 87t spur and 14t pinion.
x 1000 and still check your temps... when you can smell it, it's too late
Speedweigand is offline   Reply With Quote