Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #1121
20K Club

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyOverThere View Post
Hey Harley, I'm reading the first page again and I'm a little confused. In the first post you say "Best for crawling and low speed: Holmes 35t Torquemaster pro" Then your fourth post under the one for "Pure crawling performance" it says "Best choice: Holmes 16t Crawlmaster (5 slot motor which is similar to a 27t traditional 3 slot motor)" This gave me some questions first off which would be the better choice for general crawling/trailing. On the Holmes website under the crawlmaster motor is says if you are going to run a wraith on 3s you need to use a 16 tooth pinion but under your gearing guide you suggest 84/18 though that is with a 35t Torquemaster. The last question is about the "(5 slot motor which is similar to a 27t traditional 3 slot motor)" Does this mean that the motor is comparable to a motor with a higher turn in terms of torque/speed?
My bad, that's a typo. A 16t is closer to a 35t than a 27t. A 5 slot motor has a different wind pattern so a motor with less winds has the same copper content as a traditional 3 slot motor with significantly more winds. The 5 slots are smoother but if you just plan to play around a regular trail master or machine wound motor from Holmes will do you fine.

Grab a 35t and have some fun.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #1122
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
My bad, that's a typo. A 16t is closer to a 35t than a 27t. A 5 slot motor has a different wind pattern so a motor with less winds has the same copper content as a traditional 3 slot motor with significantly more winds. The 5 slots are smoother but if you just plan to play around a regular trail master or machine wound motor from Holmes will do you fine.

Grab a 35t and have some fun.
In performance though they are fairly comparable then just the 5 slot will run smoother? The price difference is only $10 so might as well grab the best choice if thats it. As for as motor life goes with proper gearing which is likely to last longer assuming you dont fill it with mud lol
GuyOverThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:31 AM   #1123

Thanks Harley I'll give it a try.
wraith6802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #1124
Pebble Pounder

Alright Harley I want to rack your brain a bit. I am currently running a mamba monster and castle 5700kv on 2s with 62/12 gearing. It is fast but crawls like junk! (I knew it would when I put it in) Now I have acquired a mmp and looking at a tekin redline gen2 10.5 t on 3s with same gearing. I dont expect it to be as fast but simply close to the same with better crawl ability do you think the gearing will keep it cool?
gofaster427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #1125
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofaster427 View Post
Alright Harley I want to rack your brain a bit. I am currently running a mamba monster and castle 5700kv on 2s with 62/12 gearing. It is fast but crawls like junk! (I knew it would when I put it in) Now I have acquired a mmp and looking at a tekin redline gen2 10.5 t on 3s with same gearing. I dont expect it to be as fast but simply close to the same with better crawl ability do you think the gearing will keep it cool?
The gearing is a good start, the setup will not be quite as fast but still won't crawl very well. You should be looking at a 13.5 motor. I've ran the 10.5 and if you want ANY crawlability it's not the correct choice.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #1126
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
The gearing is a good start, the setup will not be quite as fast but still won't crawl very well. You should be looking at a 13.5 motor. I've ran the 10.5 and if you want ANY crawlability it's not the correct choice.

Thank you that is what I have been concerned about I will look into that route
gofaster427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #1127
Rock Stacker

So i got an old gtb and 17.5ss. Was thinking about trying it out in my truck. What do u think??
1lowta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #1128
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowta View Post
So i got an old gtb and 17.5ss. Was thinking about trying it out in my truck. What do u think??
I don't suggest novak products of any kind as a general rule in any crawler or trail truck. Outdated programming makes them poorly suited for our applications. Plus they have to be the most unreliable products I have seen on the mass market.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #1129
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the info. I personally have never had any problems with novak. I have been using them for years in other areas of RC.. i was just trying to go wheeling today. But i dont want to burn anything up.
1lowta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #1130
Pebble Pounder

I have just picked up a Wraith Kit, What would be a good brushed motor to run on 3s that will be about as fast as the stock rtr, I will be using it for trail running mostly so I'm not after a lot of speed.
FesterUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #1131
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FesterUK View Post
I have just picked up a Wraith Kit, What would be a good brushed motor to run on 3s that will be about as fast as the stock rtr, I will be using it for trail running mostly so I'm not after a lot of speed.
Read the first page.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #1132
Pebble Pounder

I did however there was no mention of 3s hence the question. I'm thinking a 35t will be about right.
FesterUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #1133
Quarry Creeper

Just Got the wraith kit drivable and been messing with gearing all day.

My set up is a Novak 35t rockstar, ae-2 w/ cc bec, 2s, 2.2 mickey Thompson baja claws.

I haven't been able to get it outside to test temps yet but I've been messing around with it inside and so far the best I've came up with is 87/18. Does this sound about right? Still has decent speed and great torque. I seen on page one that for mostly trails and crawling it recommended 84/18 which gives a ratio of around 4.66:1, With the 87/18 I'm at 4.83:1.

Last edited by XJrob; 03-17-2013 at 05:52 PM.
XJrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #1134
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJrob View Post
Just Got the wraith kit drivable and been messing with gearing all day.

My set up is a Novak 35t rockstar, ae-2 w/ cc bec, 2s, 2.2 mickey Thompson baja claws.

I haven't been able to get it outside to test temps yet but I've been messing around with it inside and so far the best I've came up with is 87/18. Does this sound about right? Still has decent speed and great torque. I seen on page one that for mostly trails and crawling it recommended 84/18 which gives a ratio of around 4.66:1, With the 87/18 I'm at 4.83:1.
That combo will work just fine.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #1135
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Harley, you have been a huge help to all of us!!
XJrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #1136

I am really new to all this. I am picking up a Wraith kit soon. I have 2 motor/ESC options lying around on the bench.
1st is the Associated ESC/550 3500KV motor combo from the RTR SC10 4x4 Kit
2nd is a Castle SV2 ESC. Was thinking brushed motor for this one.

Only interested in running 2s. Looking to do light crawling/Bashing. Would a 550 sized motor be a decent all around option for the Wraith?
Mechintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #1137
Rock Stacker

i have a 35T Tekin hand wound motor and am lookin for a ESC. The Tekin FX-R Pro and Sidewinder SV3 have caught my attention and have seen many great reviews about both on the forum. Do you have an opinion as to which ESC would be better for Trail/Crawing?
Smithysride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #1138
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechintosh View Post
I am really new to all this. I am picking up a Wraith kit soon. I have 2 motor/ESC options lying around on the bench.
1st is the Associated ESC/550 3500KV motor combo from the RTR SC10 4x4 Kit
2nd is a Castle SV2 ESC. Was thinking brushed motor for this one.

Only interested in running 2s. Looking to do light crawling/Bashing. Would a 550 sized motor be a decent all around option for the Wraith?
The unsensored brushless is not going to be a good choice. The sidewinder and a 550 brushed would be decent. I don't have any 550 sized motors to suggest off hand though.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #1139
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithysride View Post
i have a 35T Tekin hand wound motor and am lookin for a ESC. The Tekin FX-R Pro and Sidewinder SV3 have caught my attention and have seen many great reviews about both on the forum. Do you have an opinion as to which ESC would be better for Trail/Crawing?
For trailing and crawling the Sidewinder and FXR (no need to buy the Pro) and would both be fine. The Sidewinder has an external heat sink though and might help control temps a little better.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #1140

Quote:
The unsensored brushless is not going to be a good choice. The sidewinder and a 550 brushed would be decent. I don't have any 550 sized motors to suggest off hand though.
Is that because of the cogging? or something else?
Mechintosh is offline   Reply With Quote