Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #1141

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

Im running a 35t hh tm that is freshly rebuilt from holmes and im running 2s/3s with a 54/13 32p setup in my wraith. I put the motor back in yesterday for the first time since getting it back from being rebuilt and hooked it up on 3s. After 15 minutes of run time i saw the motor smoke and turned it off right away and checked the motor it was hot as crap! I beleive the motor is still at 0 timing, what would cause the motor to get so hot so fast? I hooked it back up after it cooled down and ran it for a few minutes and it ran fine. Opinions? Thanks for any help or advice.

Last edited by Scjustin; 03-24-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Scjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #1142
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scjustin View Post
Im running a 35t hh tm that is freshly rebuilt from holmes and im running 2s/3s with a 54/13 32p setup in my wraith. I put the motor back in yesterday for the first time since getting it back from being rebuilt and hooked it up on 3s. After 15 minutes of run time i saw the motor smoke and turned it off right away and checked the motor it was hot as crap! I beleive the motor is still at 0 timing, what would cause the motor to get so hot so fast? I hooked it back up after it cooled down and ran it for a few minutes and it ran fine. Opinions? Thanks for any help or advice.
There are a ton of factors that could be a problem. Check all components for binding. Take out the motor and spin the wheels. They whole thing should spin very freely.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #1143

Will do, thanks Harley!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #1144
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scjustin View Post
54/13 is almost as tall as the factory gearing. It might help to gear down some if you are crawling with it. I run 60/11.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #1145

Should 54/12 or 54/11 be fine or should I go to a bigger spur as well?
Old 04-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #1146

Im building a brand new Axial SCX10 and i wanna have a fast car but wanna be able to crawl. I wanna be able to go fast in a straight lineand be able to crawl perfect. Whts the best motor and esc that i should get?? Thanks
THEKrawlerKID4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #1147
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEKrawlerKID4 View Post
Im building a brand new Axial SCX10 and i wanna have a fast car but wanna be able to crawl. I wanna be able to go fast in a straight lineand be able to crawl perfect. Whts the best motor and esc that i should get?? Thanks
Read the first page. It's all there.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #1148
Pebble Pounder

This thread needs an autoresponder.
Antisimplistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #1149

Well Harley it just says Good Speed, and OK crawling, OK Speed and Good Crawling, Then slow speed and great crawling. I want to have both good speed and good crawling.
THEKrawlerKID4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #1150
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEKrawlerKID4 View Post
Well Harley it just says Good Speed, and OK crawling, OK Speed and Good Crawling, Then slow speed and great crawling. I want to have both good speed and good crawling.
Then you'd need to go brushless. With brushed motors it's difficult to get both without high speed overheating or poor low speed control.
ngward79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #1151
Rock Stacker

What Harley said is right on the money. Unless you have a two-speed tranny, it's almost impossible to have a good crawler and good speed. Gearing affects both your ability to crawl, and your ability to have top speed....the lower the gearing, the more the torque. The higher the gearing, the better the top speed. With that said, when Harley mentioned "Ok" crawling...I'm pretty sure he's comparing it to full-time crawler. Do you want the truck to go fast and be able to get over stuff? Well then it will be fast and an "ok" crawler. Do you want it to compete with a true crawler? Well you're going to have to sacrifice some of that speed.

Just my 2 cents.
iihuntyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #1152
Pebble Pounder

running the xl-5 esc burned upa new reedy radon 17t and a used titan 12t both after two packs. no binding motor is turning counterclock wise diffs are as in page 15 in manual. only running half batts for 15-25 min and super hot motors. axial 20t seems to be ok and keep cool after use but like many others i need speed. debating weather i should buy a new 12t and c how long that works. if so i should run a 32pitch like a 54spur/12pinion? can i run 3s with xl-5? and should i stick to the 20t if im running the xl-5. basically looking for a COOL FAST setup i can use a xl-5 esc with. going to beach on mon. with sandpaws and i want run time and not wrench time. lol on a bugdget this weekend to so a new esc is outta question.
puffntough760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:44 AM   #1153
Pebble Pounder

so i figured it out! i currently read my a$$ off! all overheated motors flipped diffs ect..... so if i go 12t no crawling burns motor unless gear change. flipped diffs will make a trucks motor that is running ccw run reverse if the diffs are set up improperely. ifs its running ccw and the car is in reverse you need to flip the diffs. in my case i did not. as is on page 15 in manual mine were ok and runniing ccw. i blame my burning of reedy radon 17t on inproper gearing i was running a 48p 87/26. i also tried 32p 54/15 and truck was hot after five min. now i have good under standing but i wanna run the 12t for now and need to know a good gearing set up for crawling and trailing? and can i run xl-5 w/ tekin 35t?
puffntough760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #1154
Pebble Pounder

My set up is a Sport Tuned 35t, SV-2 w/ cc bec, 2s, 2.2 HB Rovers

My current gearing is 87/14 witch is fine on 2s if a little slow the plan is to switch to 3s will this gear ratio still work ok?
FesterUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #1155
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FesterUK View Post
My set up is a Sport Tuned 35t, SV-2 w/ cc bec, 2s, 2.2 HB Rovers

My current gearing is 87/14 witch is fine on 2s if a little slow the plan is to switch to 3s will this gear ratio still work ok?
Yup, that gear ratio will still work just fine. Temps should be nice and low in most cases.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #1156
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Yup, that gear ratio will still work just fine. Temps should be nice and low in most cases.
Thanks
FesterUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:14 AM   #1157
Quarry Creeper

Time to think about new power for my wraith.

My setup was:
RC4wd Outcrý with bec
35t integy
84/15 48p
4S 3300mAh gens ace

The weak link was the motor. One of the magnets broke inside the can which jammed the motor which in turn burned it.
I know it was a bit of a long shot to run the cheap motor on 4S and think it would last. I mostly do crawling but still want a bit of wheelspeed for mud and snow. The setup I had worked great in terms of crawlability and speed. Maybe a bit more top speed would be nice but not a necessity. Though I believe a quality hand wound 35T would give the truck a bit more top speed.

Now the problem is there are hardly any 35T motors that can reliably handle 4S power. At least so say the specs. So far it seems only HH can do it. Judging by his posts even he is a bit sceptical.

One possible alternative would be to use a lower turn motor. The problem with that route is that the outcry can only handle over 30 turn motors. So I would need to get a new ESC too. The HH BRXL sounds good but what about a motor?

If I get a new ESC and motor i might as well go for brushless as the choice of 4S compatible motors would be far greater. The problem would be my use of the wraith in all kinds of wet and muddy conditions.

So should I continue using 35T brushed and burn up a motor here and there or go for fewer turns with a new esc or go brushless?
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #1158
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
Time to think about new power for my wraith.

My setup was:
RC4wd Outcrý with bec
35t integy
84/15 48p
4S 3300mAh gens ace

The weak link was the motor. One of the magnets broke inside the can which jammed the motor which in turn burned it.
I know it was a bit of a long shot to run the cheap motor on 4S and think it would last. I mostly do crawling but still want a bit of wheelspeed for mud and snow. The setup I had worked great in terms of crawlability and speed. Maybe a bit more top speed would be nice but not a necessity. Though I believe a quality hand wound 35T would give the truck a bit more top speed.

Now the problem is there are hardly any 35T motors that can reliably handle 4S power. At least so say the specs. So far it seems only HH can do it. Judging by his posts even he is a bit sceptical.

One possible alternative would be to use a lower turn motor. The problem with that route is that the outcry can only handle over 30 turn motors. So I would need to get a new ESC too. The HH BRXL sounds good but what about a motor?

If I get a new ESC and motor i might as well go for brushless as the choice of 4S compatible motors would be far greater. The problem would be my use of the wraith in all kinds of wet and muddy conditions.

So should I continue using 35T brushed and burn up a motor here and there or go for fewer turns with a new esc or go brushless?
Brushed on 4s is just not a great setup. Go brushless and waterproof everything with RTV.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #1159
Quarry Creeper

OK. Time to drag myself kicking and screaming to the 21st century. Brushless, here I come.

Thanks for the reply.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #1160
Quarry Creeper

I'm really sorry guys I know I may be beating the horse here but I'm having trouble deciphering which gears fit the Wraith trans. I'm wanting to switch to 32p and Kimbrough doesn't make a 56t spur that'll fit (that I can find). I want to run 56t so I can still run the cover and space the motor a little further from the trans (running Tekin 13.5). I read that people are modding Traxxas spurs but I'm not comfortable moding the gear. I read that people can use nitro Evader spurs with zero mods (which is prefered) but they seem to be too large to fit the gear cover?

Can anyone shoot me a link or just point me in the right direction here?

Thanks
jrowles91 is offline   Reply With Quote