Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #1161
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

Will this fit, no mods? TowerHobbies.com | Duratrax Spur Gear 32P 56T Nitro Evader BX
jrowles91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #1162
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowles91 View Post
I have not tried that specific piece but I believe others have. I am pretty sure it bolts right up.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #1163
Rock Crawler

I'm looking into electronics for a Wraith and I think I'm set on the MMP ESC. However my motor choice is still up in the air.

I want the rig to be more crawler than basher which would suggest I go brushed instead, but I run in a relatively clean environment and I'd like to go brushless for the decreased maintenance. I come from running a 55T on 3s in an scx10 and love the low speed control and am fully aware that I will loose some of that with a brushless setup. That said, which brushless motors are known for their above average crawling ability? I don't need the raw power of todays 4-pole motors, nor am I looking to spend $150 on a motor. How do the Gen2 Redlines compare to the originals that it seems a lot of people are running? I was considering something like a 17.5 or 21.5T. Also, for those with experience with other brands, how do other $80-$100 motors compare to the Tekins? I'm also considering a SC4X 3000kv and just limiting it to 50-75% throttle with some negative expo. I'm interested in smoothness, but also torque at low RPM which aids smooth crawling.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #1164
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I'm really sorry guys I know I may be beating the horse here but I'm having trouble deciphering which gears fit the Wraith trans. I'm wanting to switch to 32p and Kimbrough doesn't make a 56t spur that'll fit (that I can find). I want to run 56t so I can still run the cover and space the motor a little further from the trans (running Tekin 13.5). I read that people are modding Traxxas spurs but I'm not comfortable moding the gear. I read that people can use nitro Evader spurs with zero mods (which is prefered) but they seem to be too large to fit the gear cover?

Can anyone shoot me a link or just point me in the right direction here?

Thanks
Traxxas Jato spurs bolt right on.
Frostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #1165
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostman View Post
Traxxas Jato spurs bolt right on.
Dang it! Lol already oredered the Duratrax one. Very good to know though. Thank you for the update
Old 04-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #1166
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Dang it! Lol already oredered the Duratrax one. Very good to know though. Thank you for the update
No problem. I run them on my Wraith and AX-10's. The Jato spurs are nice and wide for good gear contact, and they are dirt cheap. 54,56, and 58T.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #1167
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
No problem. I run them on my Wraith and AX-10's. The Jato spurs are nice and wide for good gear contact, and they are dirt cheap. 54,56, and 58T.
56t on the Wraith will still fit the gear cover right? What about the 58 if you know?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #1168
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
56t on the Wraith will still fit the gear cover right? What about the 58 if you know?
I am not sure. With 32p gears I never run a gear cover. I think you can but I haven't tried.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #1169
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I am not sure. With 32p gears I never run a gear cover. I think you can but I haven't tried.
Any specific reason of not running the cover?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #1170
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Any specific reason of not running the cover?
With 32p the gears crush debris that gets in between them for the most part. So there isn't much to worry about. And it's easier to access everything without it.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #1171
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
I'm looking into electronics for a Wraith and I think I'm set on the MMP ESC. However my motor choice is still up in the air.

I want the rig to be more crawler than basher which would suggest I go brushed instead, but I run in a relatively clean environment and I'd like to go brushless for the decreased maintenance. I come from running a 55T on 3s in an scx10 and love the low speed control and am fully aware that I will loose some of that with a brushless setup. That said, which brushless motors are known for their above average crawling ability? I don't need the raw power of todays 4-pole motors, nor am I looking to spend $150 on a motor. How do the Gen2 Redlines compare to the originals that it seems a lot of people are running? I was considering something like a 17.5 or 21.5T. Also, for those with experience with other brands, how do other $80-$100 motors compare to the Tekins? I'm also considering a SC4X 3000kv and just limiting it to 50-75% throttle with some negative expo. I'm interested in smoothness, but also torque at low RPM which aids smooth crawling.
Limiting a motor to 50-75% is never something I really would suggest. Just a waste of power. I would say go with a 17.5-21.5 Tekin and run with it. I'm not sure about the gen2 differences though. Just grab one and gear down. You'll have nice low speed control.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #1172
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Limiting a motor to 50-75% is never something I really would suggest. Just a waste of power. I would say go with a 17.5-21.5 Tekin and run with it. I'm not sure about the gen2 differences though. Just grab one and gear down. You'll have nice low speed control.
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure they didn't make any significant changes to the Gen2 that would make it a bad candidate for a Wraith over the original Redlines.
Looking at basic specs shows that the Gen2 might be more speed/power oriented vs. torque, but maybe they are higher across the board.

There sure seems to be a big gap in power between a 2 pole 540 and a 4 pole or 550 size motor which is why I was thinking of a limiting a SC4X for something inbetween. I've also read it has good low RPM torque for minimal throttle crawling which is what I'm after. I'm certainly not worried about full throttle performance so I guess I'd be "waisting" power no matter what I pick. I'm not looking to shred gears and pop wheelies. Heck, I have a 27T motor that happens to run right between the wattage of a 17.5 and 21.5 Redline so maybe I'll try it out first just to see what I'm working with in the power department and then make a choice from there.

Last edited by 05Fronty4x; 04-22-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #1173
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure they didn't make any significant changes to the Gen2 that would make it a bad candidate for a Wraith over the original Redlines.
Looking at basic specs shows that the Gen2 might be more speed/power oriented vs. torque, but maybe they are higher across the board.

There sure seems to be a big gap in power between a 2 pole 540 and a 4 pole or 550 size motor which is why I was thinking of a limiting a SC4X for something inbetween. I've also read it has good low RPM torque for minimal throttle crawling which is what I'm after. I'm certainly not worried about full throttle performance so I guess I'd be "waisting" power no matter what I pick. I'm not looking to shred gears and pop wheelies. Heck, I have a 27T motor that happens to run right between the wattage of a 17.5 and 21.5 Redline so maybe I'll try it out first just to see what I'm working with in the power department and then make a choice from there.
I think you would be happy with a 17.5 geared down a little. They have good low end and when geared down it will be even better.

I know what you mean about the gap between the 2 and 4 pole motors. It's one of those leaps you just have to make when you are wanting more I guess.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #1174
Pebble Pounder

I got my truck from another forum member on here and I'm swapping to
A brushless set up this week..thing is its a wroncho build.so there's some things that's been swapped lol. Like on my spur..I doubt have a slipper..it's just a plate with 3 pins that slip info the spur gear..I'm debating on going with that gen 3 slipper setup gallery mentioned but since I'm pretty gentle on my rigs I'm wondering if I should or just slap a spur that fits on it and roll. I'll post a pic tonight when I get home.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
joshjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:36 AM   #1175
Quarry Creeper

I've been reading about brushless for crawling stuff to know what to buy. But have a problem in what to get for the wraith.

ESC:
Mamba Max Pro seems to be the only feasible option that can handle 4S.
The RX8 can too but at a much steeper price.
Any other suggestions are welcome.

Motor:
The lathe 35T was good. What is its equal or better in low down torque?
The 35T is about 1600 to 1800 kV depending on your source. So should I get a similar kV brushless or does it work like that? If it has more speed than the old lathe it's not a problem.

The 4pole motors seem to be smoother at low speed. So should I get one of those or would a 17.5T or 21.5T "normal" brushless be good?

The ROC 412 is a rock crawling motor so it should be good for me. But what kV to get if I want similar torque to the 35T lathe or more.

PS. I don't have too much money so I have to buy only once.

Last edited by Scrap; 04-24-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #1176
Rock Crawler

Sounds like you are looking for a setup that is similar to what I'm after, which is something with speed equal to or higher than a 35T on 3s while maintaining as much crawlability as possible.

You can do what I had in mind if money weren't an issue. I was thinking about a ROC 1200/1800kv on 4s, but I don't have any 4s packs on hand which makes that the most expensive option on my list. If I went with a ROC, I'd probably run the 1800, or maybe 2300kv on 3s, but as of now I'm leaning towards sticking with a Redline 17.5 and gearing it way down.

Something to note is that "kv" is just a number which doesn't account for the huge gain in potential torque and power that a ROC/Pro4 has over a brushed motor. You can gear the ROC higher without running too hot (provided the ESC/Lipo can handle the load). This means that you can't really compare kv to kv. An 1800kv ROC with optimal gearing will be faster and overall more powerful than an 1800kv 35T brushed motor.

What I'd suggest is getting something similar in kv and just enjoy the extra power when your trigger finger is feeling a bit heavy.

Last edited by 05Fronty4x; 04-24-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #1177
Quarry Creeper

Just the same problem except I'm running 4S and don't want to spend money to go back to 3S. So a brushless setup is kind of mandatory. Although a few big 3S packs wouldn't cost half as much as a whole brushless system. But I want the wraith to have more speed than the rest of my scalers. It just is that kind of a truck.

So the 1800kV ROC 412 could be the way to a bit more top speed and more torque low down compared to a 35T lathe?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #1178
Rock Crawler

I don't know what to suggest anymore, lol. Your first post indicated you were interested in crawling with a brushless setup, and weren't very concerned with speed, and now you say you are interested in more speed. You aren't going to get more crawlability than a 35T brushed motor and significantly more speed out of a brushless setup (which is basically the main theme of this entire thread). Going brushless already means you are likely going to give up some low end control, so it's a matter of how much you are willing to give up for the desired speed you are looking for.

Apparently the "fast" setups, like 4-pole and 10.5-13.5T brushless will still crawl OK, but I'm affraid it's not going to compare to a high-turn brushed setup. Since you are set on running 4s you need a much lower kv motor so that you can gear it properly like the ROC series.

With a ROC on 4s we are talking about power that will eat your drivetrain alive if you don't build it properly. I don't even know that I would consider bashing around one of them on 4s to begin with.

Last edited by 05Fronty4x; 04-24-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #1179
Quarry Creeper

FYI: The Traxxas Jato 56t spur DOES rub the gear cover. If going that route go for the 54t.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #1180
Quarry Creeper

Sorry, worded that badly.
I really want the low down control of the 35T lathe. If using a brushless setup with the same kV will give me the same control at low speed it is fine. If it gives me more top speed too then that is not a problem. As I said in the first post any increase in top speed is not a concern. I use a stick radio so I have good control over throttle and a bit more speed will not matter.

So if I want the same low down control with the same gearing (84/15) as the old 35T then what should I get?

I can change the gearing later for more speed or more torque. Will have to change to 32p anyway so it's not set in stone.

Braking the drive train is to be expected with big power. But if you drive smart you can get along quite well.