Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebomb View Post
i just came back from my maiden voyage with the pro4 3300 and mmp 12/54 running a 2200mah 40c pack and got about 40+ MIN trail riding on a hiking trail. i have lots of crawlers and r/c and have gone thru 2 other motors till i bought the pro 4 and all i can say is ijust fell in luv with my wraith after owning it for a month and a half.if u want speed and want to crawl like a 35t motor u will be so pleased with the pro4! it is worth the cake in my opinion but i will warn u u have to upgrade the whole drive line. i blew both f/r lockers ,i had mmp drive shafts already and gave it the full robinson racing tranny gears to.also added 4ws which is great improvement to. all i can say if ur thinking about this motor dont hesitate to buy it u will be so pleased but like i said dont expect the sttock drive line to last long. good luck
Is that a 2s or 3s pack?
jasons36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #122
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons36 View Post
Is that a 2s or 3s pack?
3s only!!
ebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #123
Rock Stacker

I'm planning wraith build.an am makin list so all is here for the build. It will probably never really crawl. As I live in south louisana. Rocks are rare. Got mud, dirt an sandbars. I'm going to make sand an dirt hillclimber. And dirt pit runner. So I'm after best set up for that. I plan on upgrading gears in trans and hd gears in axles. any guidance would be appreciated.
Whop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #124
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whop View Post
I'm planning wraith build.an am makin list so all is here for the build. It will probably never really crawl. As I live in south louisana. Rocks are rare. Got mud, dirt an sandbars. I'm going to make sand an dirt hillclimber. And dirt pit runner. So I'm after best set up for that. I plan on upgrading gears in trans and hd gears in axles. any guidance would be appreciated.
Post 2 covers that.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #125
Rock Crawler

Default Brushless Wraith....

I have had my Wraith with about 7 Motor/ESC Combos. The best for speed but not too fast is the castle 4600 and castle SCT. It will run 3s.
Geared running 11T/54T...32 Pitch is just about right, but very little crawlablity...Your axles will slap the rocks...Bad!....Then its just a rock Basher..

Switching the same ESC thru castle Link to Brushed Mode, I am happy running same gear ratio with a Traxxas 12T, on 2s..no overheating..

But, the biggest downside to the Wraith is Broken and Snapped drivelines.. of you go brushless....Replace these first....MIP...

Then, you MUST switch out the Plastic Tranny gears to run all metal.....
Its well worth it when your Wraith is snappin stuff left and right...
scottanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #126
Rock Crawler

scott, ive heard a few people say the traxxas 12t is a good choice , would you reccomend anything else that should be done to go with it ? i ask because ive just gotten an xl5 and a 12t............. not a crawler just trail thrasher and a few muddy bits
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #127
Rock Crawler

21t Traxxas runs great on 3s... On 2s it is a bit slow unless you gear higher. Then you loose the crawlability. 17/87 gearing on 3s is awesome for me.. I bet the 12t would be a hoot.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #128
Rock Crawler

Madkawl, do you have any transmission upgrades for the 21t?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #129
Rock Crawler

Nope. Nothing done to the tranny yet.. However I know it's just a matter of time till I tear the plastic gears out.

You will have to file a bit of plastic away from the right rear lower link mount to slide the longer 550 sized motor in there

Old 11-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #130
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkawi650 View Post
Nope. Nothing done to the tranny yet.. However I know it's just a matter of time till I tear the plastic gears out.

You will have to file a bit of plastic away from the right rear lower link mount to slide the longer 550 sized motor in there

hmmmmm, could be a problem as ive just installed alloy links, or am i thinking wrong ? any pics bud ?
Old 11-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #131
Rock Stacker

I had a 550 titan 21 and it won't be a problem w/ aluminum links

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk
Elliott000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #132
Rock Crawler

If you pull the 8 screws holding your skid plate to the chassis, the whole thing drops giving access to the motor and the area you have to dremel out. It's very easy and i can't see it causing any issues with strength. I'll take a pic next time I pull my motor.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #133
Quarry Creeper

I am new to the forum and very new to any type of crawlers. I run a Savage Flux, custom Rc4wd Sand rail, SCT, etc.. Bash only never race. I purchased a Wraith Kit today, love the idea of this thing but I am lost. I will be doing a lot of random bashing, hill climbs and some basic crawling. I want a good amount of speed as I am used to my Savage flux and 40+mph Rc's but still have the ability to crawl a little (nothing serious) and cruise around in my backyard.
I have a Castle Sidewinder SCT combo with the 4 pole 3500KV motor not in use at my house. Would this combo work with the Wraith at all for my applications? I run 2s lipos on all my vehicles so that is what I have on hand.
Beej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #134
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beej View Post
I am new to the forum and very new to any type of crawlers. I run a Savage Flux, custom Rc4wd Sand rail, SCT, etc.. Bash only never race. I purchased a Wraith Kit today, love the idea of this thing but I am lost. I will be doing a lot of random bashing, hill climbs and some basic crawling. I want a good amount of speed as I am used to my Savage flux and 40+mph Rc's but still have the ability to crawl a little (nothing serious) and cruise around in my backyard.
I have a Castle Sidewinder SCT combo with the 4 pole 3500KV motor not in use at my house. Would this combo work with the Wraith at all for my applications? I run 2s lipos on all my vehicles so that is what I have on hand.
Not really. That is not sensored and will have no low end. Read post #2 for the info needed.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #135
Rock Stacker

Hello. First post here, and I have a question concerning downhill braking.

Right now my Wraith is equipped with a Castle MMP ESC and Novak 21.5 motor. It is geared 16/87, with stock trans and diff gearing. I am running 4000mah 3s Traxxas Lipos.

I am more than happy with the top speed (low, but "scale" appropriate, in my opinion), and also very happy with the torque available to climb, and the responsiveness of the sensored motor, but I am having issues when descending. When aimed down a hill I pretty much can't make minute forward movements; it's all or nothing. When you ease into the throttle the drag-brake will release and it begins rolling as quickly as gravity will allow, and then when I back off the throttle the brake kicks back in full-force. This results in an endo/front-flip 90% of the time, and it's really getting old.

Can someone recommend me a setup that will have similar top-end and low torque, but allow me the crawl slowly forward while aimed downhill? or is a worm-gear diff the only way to achieve this?
WraithCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #136
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithCrawler View Post

Right now my Wraith is equipped with a Castle MMP ESC and Novak 21.5 motor. It is geared 16/87, with stock trans and diff gearing. I am running 4000mah 3s Traxxas Lipos.

I am more than happy with the top speed (low, but "scale" appropriate, in my opinion), and also very happy with the torque available to climb, and the responsiveness of the sensored motor, but I am having issues when descending. When aimed down a hill I pretty much can't make minute forward movements; it's all or nothing. When you ease into the throttle the drag-brake will release and it begins rolling as quickly as gravity will allow, and then when I back off the throttle the brake kicks back in full-force. This results in an endo/front-flip 90% of the time, and it's really getting old.

Can someone recommend me a setup that will have similar top-end and low torque, but allow me the crawl slowly forward while aimed downhill? or is a worm-gear diff the only way to achieve this?
Brushed motors are best at that but will not give you the top end you'll want. What my suggestion would be is to actually lower the drag brake percentage and allow the truck to creep downhill under that braking.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #137
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithCrawler View Post

As Harley said, lower the drag brake.

I started with 50%, and went up 10% until I was happy. That ended up being 70% for me.
Stburr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #138
Rock Stacker

OK. Thank you. I'll try that for sure. I have it set at "213%," or whatever the mega-high crawler value is in the MMP.

Also, I'm picking up a 55t brushed motor this afternoon just to try it out and make an informed choice between brushed and sensored BL.
WraithCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #139

Harley, if possible could you please provide a link to the hardened transmission gears needed to run brushless on 3s lipo? Thanks in advance.
jasons36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #140
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons36 View Post
Harley, if possible could you please provide a link to the hardened transmission gears needed to run brushless on 3s lipo? Thanks in advance.
The parts are all listed in the beginners guide. I don't have a link handy right now. There is a direct link in the second post of my build thread too.