Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #1761
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

Hi, I finally got a wraith and is in need of a motor.
It seem that the tekin roc 3100Kv is very popular.

So Im considering it along with the 2300kv any pro cons of it.
I might run 3s so that way I could tap the wires to run a LED bar without any other battery.
But I guess it would be a mix of 2s n 3s.

I was also thinking if is to much you can always dial in some End point adjusment
arevir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #1762

Hello guys.Ich Have a huge problem and am totally stumped. I Have a mmp tekin redline 13.5 t With 58/14 gearing I ride him with 3s But The temperature at the tekin extremely high. Has anyone an idea?

visit and like us on Facebook AxialWraitWrockers
Wraithwrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #1763
Rock Crawler

Smaller pinion. I run that exact setup and it doesn't get hot at all. Also check for a bad bearing or something putting drag on the drivetrain. Pull the pinion off and make sure the spur spins freely. Could be tight pinion to spur mesh too.
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #1764
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by arevir View Post

I was also thinking if is to much you can always dial in some End point adjusment
There is no such thing as "too much".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithwrocker View Post
Hello guys.Ich Have a huge problem and am totally stumped. I Have a mmp tekin redline 13.5 t With 58/14 gearing I ride him with 3s But The temperature at the tekin extremely high. Has anyone an idea?

visit and like us on Facebook AxialWraitWrockers
Besides what JC suggested things like too much timing advance and cheat mode will generate extra heat. Make sure your MMP is tuned to keep the motor cool.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #1765
Quarry Creeper

Another noob here... well not a total noob but new to crawlers and today's advanced electronics, to explain I've had many RC cars in the past (20+ years ago) and am now just getting back into it so things have changed a lot!

I currently have a Slash 4x4 Ultimate and have just finished building a Wraith Kit, but now need the electronics, I have the radio and receiver (Spektrum DX4S) and the servo (Hitec HS-7955TG).

I want to avoid a week long of searching for a setup so I would like your suggestions on a total set up of the motor, ESC, and anything else I would need to build a reliable Wraith with very good crawling ability but better than stock speed ( I have my Slash if I want to go fast), I know there are many different opinions on whats the best set up so I will begin with what I am leaning towards and what I will need to go with it and or suggestions on better combos. Below is what I'm leaning towards. And thanks for your input in advance! (P.S. I'm not too concerned with cost within reason)

Motor: Tekin ROC412 3100kv

ESC: MMP (any programming needed? Suggestions on them)

BEC: CC (Do I need one? Amps?)

Battery: 3s and 2s (Size mAh?) (I currently have 2 2s 4200mAh and 1 3s 5000mAh Traxxas Batteries)

Gearing: Suggestions? (everything currently stock, I'll upgrade to all metal once I have some ratios to try)

Anything else?
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #1766
Pebble Pounder

As of now, I run the castle sidewinder3 with the 4600kv geared 87/20 on my scx10 and like the speed, I'm thinking of running the combo on my wraith, any suggestions or comments?
RaceMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #1767
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by arevir View Post
Hi, I finally got a wraith and is in need of a motor.
It seem that the tekin roc 3100Kv is very popular.

So Im considering it along with the 2300kv any pro cons of it.
I might run 3s so that way I could tap the wires to run a LED bar without any other battery.
But I guess it would be a mix of 2s n 3s.

Im looking to buy the 2300kv version and run it at 2S also. but ii am having hard time finding if its fast enough or if I need a steel transmission to handle it . So much money and I won't know for sure if I like untill I have it. I really want I strong version of the stock 20T
ChronicCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #1768
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceMod View Post
As of now, I run the castle sidewinder3 with the 4600kv geared 87/20 on my scx10 and like the speed, I'm thinking of running the combo on my wraith, any suggestions or comments?
I never suggest a non-sensored system in a wraith.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #1769
Pebble Pounder

Some people say the 2300KV is slower than the stock 20T some say its faster
I saw a video of the 2300 ROC 412 doing wheelies and rolling over from to much speed with a 3S battery. How huge is difference of 2S speed and 3S speed ?
Im confused ! if the 2300KV can be as fast the 20T and crawl then im going to buy one right now .
ChronicCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #1770
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicCrawler View Post
Some people say the 2300KV is slower than the stock 20T some say its faster
I saw a video of the 2300 ROC 412 doing wheelies and rolling over from to much speed with a 3S battery. How huge is difference of 2S speed and 3S speed ?
Im confused ! if the 2300KV can be as fast the 20T and crawl then im going to buy one right now .
The difference between 2s and 3s is 50%.
The 3100 is what I recommend because it has all the low speed control you need and can still rip it up.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #1771
Rock Crawler

I run a tekin RS with a gen 2 10.5t redline on 3s and gearing at 80/16...this thing is a beast. It may be a little under powered torque wise but I have this set-up to were my timing is boosted and the turbo is on and it doesn't get that hot. It gets warm but no over-heated. This is a perfect set-up if you want a wraith to bash with or a wraith that has REAL power.
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #1772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I never suggest a non-sensored system in a wraith.
Is this if you want to do more crawling?

I'm a total newb to the wraith. I picked one up to rock race with and was going towards the tekin 13.5 and an HPI blur (MMP and what I have one hand)

I was going on this from the first page where it was suggested

"Good speed and OK crawling: Tekin 13.5 Redline (or Tekin Pro 4 3300) and Castle Mamba Max Pro – Faster than stock 20t motor and fairly smooth low end. Not a good choice for water or mud."

I'm just a little confused.
surgetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #1773
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Harley helped a lot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mudman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:22 AM   #1774

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
Some great info in this thread....I've pretty much read the whole thread from start to finish and don't recall seeing anyone with the set-up I am considering...what are your thoughts on how this combo would work:

48P 14T pinion with 87T spur (or possibly 13T or 15T)
stock transmission
27T motor
stock axle gears
MIP driveshafts
2S Lipo

I mostly crawl with a bit of trails. I want to maximize my lower end torque, but maintain a bit of speed for the trails. I'm not looking for stupid fast speed though. I have been currently running the stock 20T / 80T.

Thanxs very much.
Hi, where to buy all those 32p or 48p gear sets online .
Thanks
spyder_696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #1775
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
Another noob here... well not a total noob but new to crawlers and today's advanced electronics, to explain I've had many RC cars in the past (20+ years ago) and am now just getting back into it so things have changed a lot! I currently have a Slash 4x4 Ultimate and have just finished building a Wraith Kit, but now need the electronics, I have the radio and receiver (Spektrum DX4S) and the servo (Hitec HS-7955TG). I want to avoid a week long of searching for a setup so I would like your suggestions on a total set up of the motor, ESC, and anything else I would need to build a reliable Wraith with very good crawling ability but better than stock speed ( I have my Slash if I want to go fast), I know there are many different opinions on whats the best set up so I will begin with what I am leaning towards and what I will need to go with it and or suggestions on better combos. Below is what I'm leaning towards. And thanks for your input in advance! (P.S. I'm not too concerned with cost within reason) Motor: Tekin ROC412 3100kv ESC: MMP (any programming needed? Suggestions on them) BEC: CC (Do I need one? Amps?) Battery: 3s and 2s (Size mAh?) (I currently have 2 2s 4200mAh and 1 3s 5000mAh Traxxas Batteries) Gearing: Suggestions? (everything currently stock, I'll upgrade to all metal once I have some ratios to try) Anything else?
Not sure if this is too late, but here goes for what it's worth. I'm in a very similar boat with a very similar setup to what you're using and hope you can benefit from my trials and tribulations. Back in the hobby after 20+ years! started with a TT01 and then SC10 4x4 before building a Wraith. I started with a ROC 412 3100 waterproofed, MMP waterproofed, 3s, Castle BEC, Hitec 7950 waterproofed, 15-17t pinion and 88t RRP slipper (also RRP tranny gears), MIPs, VP links all the way around, and VP CMS/panhard. I was on Pit Bull Rock Beast XORs from the start. I then built an SCX10 using the same setup but with a Viper VTX8 instead of the MMP/BEC combo, using 13-15t pinion with the same 88t spur, Flat Iron 2.2s, and Blue Monkey CMS/Panhard. BECs on both were programmed to 6v output for the servos. I initially left the MMP programming (throttle curve, drag brake, etc) stock.

Initially, I liked the way both rigs performed. Excellent low speed resolution, a ton of punch, and steering torque was plenty strong. I then switched both rigs to an exponential throttle curve, which further enhanced low speed resolution. But then over the course of the first few runs, I had a few problems that led to some changes. First, I stripped a ton of pinions on both rigs. The first couple were due to mesh being too tight. After that, I still couldn't get a pinion to last more than 2 or 3 long (3-hour) trail runs before stripping. I concluded that the ROC 412 on 3s puts too much strain on a 48t setup. So I switched to the RRP 56t 32p slipper (I think it's the one for the Slash) and initially went with a 12t pinion. That's proven to be much more durable.

Second, the stock lockers started giving out quickly (lost the first one on the G6 after a couple of long runs). I replaced those with Hot Racing lockers and took the opportunity to switch out the ring and pinions for hardened ones at the same time. I initially went OD gearing in the front axle and UD in the rear on the Wraith. I have since switched the front to the hardened set with stock gear ratios and left the UD in the rear after I had some heat issues (see below).

Third, I found that the waterproofing that had been done by the shop where i purchased wasn't holding up to my water (mis-)adventures. The MMP was the first victim, followed by the Hitecs. I ended up liking the VTX8 on internal BEC (also set to 6v for the servo) enough on the G6 that I got another to replace the fried MMP on the Wraith. The VTX8 comes waterproof out of the box, and I haven't had any water-related issues with them on either rig. It's also super easy to program in the field using their credit card-sized interface. For servos, I switched to the Savox 1210 servo on the G6 and Holmes servo on the Wraith (both come waterproof out of the box also) and toned down the water adventures a bit. The Savox is fine in the G6 (narrower axle, lighter rig) but probably would be a little light on torque at 277 oz-inch for the Wraith (wider axles, heavier rig) in heavy rocks. The Holmes servo has tons of torque and has been great so far on the Wraith.

Then I tried out a set of to Rock Beast 2.2s on the Wraith for some variety, and ended up with serious heat problems with the 12t pinion that I had been running with the XORs because of the added tire height of the 2.2s vs the XORs. I dropped down to 9t, and it's been great since then.

At this point, reliability/durability on both rigs has been very good. I've made it through the last 3 long runs without any electronics, pinion, or tranny issues. At this point, the Wraith setup (ROC 412 3100, VTX8, 3s, 9t/56t, Rock Beast 2.2) is extremely versatile. Much better low speed crawling than stock, more top end than you can use on the trails, no problems with responsible dips in the water. The only problems I haven't yet sorted out on the Wraith are some intermittent binding when I turn the wheels to the right (I have already changed CMS mounts and have a few other things to try) and a bit too much slop in the front axles (I plan to try some shims to tighten that up a bit).

I hope this helps save you some trial and error, but don't get discouraged if you have to go through some of your own. Crawling is very tough on rigs, and I've learned that it takes some time to work through the weak points in any setup. If you stay with it, though, you can get to a stable place and have tons of fun. Good luck!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #1776
Rock Stacker

Get a 56t spur and a 11t pinion, if you want speed you can go up to a 14t pinion, it will work just fine, and crawl great too.
cravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #1777

Default Fpv Rock Crawling with the Wraith

You guys may like this video.

Stock setup except for the radio and video equipment

FPV Rock Crawling Axial Wraith - YouTube
Jerodhelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #1778

I'm a newbie... Just got my first Wraith... Already blew my stock steering servo and ESC. I put in a new xl5 ESC and still have stock 20t motor. Any ideas on the best Servo for me? I don't care about speed I want to crawl and trail.
306Wraithcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #1779
Pebble Pounder

I just bought a solar 772 for 20 bucks I have heard that they are a good servo it claimed 360 oz of toque
1santaever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #1780

1santanaever what ESC are you running with it? I'm lost as to which ESC goes with which servo. I'm brand new to crawling. And a girl lol so learning as I go
306Wraithcouple is offline   Reply With Quote