Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #961
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellacool View Post
Still lost
I'm a heli pilot that occasionally crawls for fun. Sorry if I don't understand the set-ups these crawlers use. Wish I knew what was best of my above 2 choices and if they are correct. The motor is all I need now. I will never comp and just crawl on my own nice and slow. So is the 18.5 Tekin a better choice for me? I looked at some videos of the 3300's and they are 30% faster than I ever intend on going. Got the MMP on 3s and want a good walking speed or a tad faster. Oh and btw the reason I want brushless is not really for insane power or speed but just because I can instal and forget it. Not into the whole brushes and timing and whatever else that is associated with the brushed motors. MY wraith awaits someone's wisdom so I can get it running, or in other words... scratch the shit out of this bitch already lmao.
I know you were leaning away from brushed motors, but, Holmes Hobbies has some of the best crawler motors ever made. They are not bad to maintain. They also have an excellent ESC made just for crawling. Here is a link to their "combo" section of the crawler series for a motor/controller combo deal... Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes :: Combos :: TorqueMaster Crawlmaster combo
LuvMyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #962
20K Club

Quote:
Still lost
I'm a heli pilot that occasionally crawls for fun. Sorry if I don't understand the set-ups these crawlers use. Wish I knew what was best of my above 2 choices and if they are correct. The motor is all I need now. I will never comp and just crawl on my own nice and slow. So is the 18.5 Tekin a better choice for me? I looked at some videos of the 3300's and they are 30% faster than I ever intend on going. Got the MMP on 3s and want a good walking speed or a tad faster. Oh and btw the reason I want brushless is not really for insane power or speed but just because I can instal and forget it. Not into the whole brushes and timing and whatever else that is associated with the brushed motors. MY wraith awaits someone's wisdom so I can get it running, or in other words... scratch the shit out of this bitch already lmao.
Brushless sounds like exactly what you want and need. The Pro4 is NOT what you want. A 17.5 from Tekin will probably do you just fine. A 13.5 geared low would also work.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #963
Pebble Pounder

Thanks! I'm stopping at my LHS after work and getting the 18.5 tekin.

Shannimal
hellacool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #964
20K Club

Quote:
Thanks! I'm stopping at my LHS after work and getting the 18.5 tekin.

Shannimal
Should be a 17.5, not an 18.5. Only 18.5 I can think of is a Novak, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING NOVAK.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #965
Pebble Pounder

Got it. Yeah probably a mistake on my part. It was definitely the Tekin and I'm avoiding the Novak.

Shannimal
hellacool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #966
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Brushless sounds like exactly what you want and need. The Pro4 is NOT what you want. A 17.5 from Tekin will probably do you just fine. A 13.5 geared low would also work.
The Tekin Redline 17.5 is a good motor, and If you are looking for slightly faster than a walk it will definitely get you there. I am currently running a Tekin 17.5 geared 56/12 and it is more like a brisk jog (or a fat person run).

I have a Pro4 3300 in the mail though
treys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #967

Can anyone give me some suggestions for gearing for a titan 21t motor on 2s and 3s?
lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #968

what about a traxxas valineon motor(for waterproof),but a different esc that has drag brake.
seaturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #969
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaturtle View Post
what about a traxxas valineon motor(for waterproof),but a different esc that has drag brake.
You need a sensored motor. You can easily waterproof a motor with some RTV.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #970
Rock Stacker

The vxl is good for speed but sill isn't water PROOF but more spash proof I toasted my slash esc after flying threw a creek only once but on the second one I just put some rtv around the seem and it was good till I got rid of it
cowboy_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #971
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_crawler View Post
The vxl is good for speed but sill isn't water PROOF but more spash proof I toasted my slash esc after flying threw a creek only once but on the second one I just put some rtv around the seem and it was good till I got rid of it
FWIW the VXL and Velineon are both submersible
Speedweigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #972
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedweigand View Post
FWIW the VXL and Velineon are both submersible
Water resistent doesn't mean water proof.No matter what it says on the ESC it's not waterproof. And the motor isn't even Water resistent. It would have to be waterproofed. I've seen at least 10-12 guys lose there motors and esc's just splashing in water.Not even going under water with them.
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #973
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by T I N Y View Post
Water resistent doesn't mean water proof.No matter what it says on the ESC it's not waterproof. And the motor isn't even Water resistent. It would have to be waterproofed. I've seen at least 10-12 guys lose there motors and esc's just splashing in water.Not even going under water with them.
So Traxxas is falsely advertising in hopes of hundreds of warranty claims?

Traxxas Velineon Extreme Waterproof Brushless System

Eligible: Yours for 3 Easy Pay payments of $53.33
Select Easy Pay Plan during checkout.
I'll going to make a video for you, I have a brand new one in the box I'll go make a bubbler out of in my kitchen sink... is there some criteria it needs to meet?

Here's my Wraith submerged repeatedly
Axial Wraith, VXL powered suspension testing and trail ride March 1, 2012 - YouTube

Last edited by Speedweigand; 12-10-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #974
RCC Addict

Quote:
So Traxxas is falsely advertising in hopes of hundreds of warranty claims?

Traxxas Velineon Extreme Waterproof Brushless System

Eligible: Yours for 3 Easy Pay payments of $53.33
Select Easy Pay Plan during checkout.
I'll going to make a video for you, I have a brand new one in the box I'll go make a bubbler out of in my kitchen sink... is there some criteria it needs to meet?

Here's my Wraith submerged repeatedly
Axial Wraith, VXL powered suspension testing and trail ride March 1, 2012 - YouTube
Their description of it says Water resistent and yes there has been a lot of claims on them.. I'm not saying your wrong..because it does say waterproof.But it's not waterproof.Nowhere in their specs or descriptions of them does it say waterproof only water resistent.You can put waterproof on a screen door but that doesn't make it waterproof.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #975
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by T I N Y View Post
Their description of it says Water resistent and yes there has been a lot of claims on them.. I'm not saying your wrong..because it does say waterproof.But it's not waterproof.Nowhere in their specs or descriptions of them does it say waterproof only water resistent.You can put waterproof on a screen door but that doesn't make it waterproof.
You realize it says waterproof on the case and on the box?
It has a lifetime warranty...

Splashtest with veggie sprayer

Submerged

...and as a bonus a 1410 takes a swim

Last edited by Speedweigand; 12-10-2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: added video
Old 12-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #976
RCC Addict

Quote:
You realize it says waterproof on the case and on the box?
It has a lifetime warranty...
It doesn't matter what they put on the case or the box....LOL I can make a decal that says waterproof and put it on any esc I want to. But that doesn't make it water proof. In their description of the "waterproof" esc it says water resistant. that means it's not 100% water proof.So you can dunk it spray it or what ever else you want to do with. It doesn't change the fact that Traxxas(The company that makes it) says it's water resistant. And as for the motor there's not even a mention of it even being water resistant.All brushless motors would have to be waterproofed.So I'm done with this...I know what it says and it's there in black and white for anyone to read.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #977
Quarry Creeper

just picked up a 17.5 and was wondering if i should run it 56/14 or something else. I will be doing mostly trails with some rocks. So a little bit of speed but still crawlable
chopan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #978
Rock Stacker

Here's the big questions :

Just bought a very lightly used Wraith ( kit ) a week ago. Didn't have time to work on it yet.
The previous owner had a brushless system in it ( don't know wich ) and took it off before selling the rig.

I bought a stock motor / ESC set-up at my LHS for a handfull of pocket change to be able to run my new rig.

I have a couple of options as far as motor / ESC combos go if / when I want to upgrade :

I have a brand spankin' new-in-box Castle Creations Sidewinder SV2 ESC + Castle 4-Pole 1406 5700kV motor on my workbench. I bought this set-up as an upgrade for my Losi 22 buggy that has a 13.5T Brushless Sensored motor + Losi MSC540BL-S ESC

Now here's the million dollar question :

Should I put the SV2 + 5700kV in the Wraith ( geared accordingly of course ) or should I put my 13.5T brushless sensored motor and ESC in the Wraith and keep the SV2 + 5700kV for my Losi 22 ???
I'm scratching my head on this one.
Imprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #979
Pebble Pounder

Whoa....the 5700kv would be a bit to much I think with any gearing. I would go with the 13.5T sensored. It should be perfect with around the stock gearing.
wildmanMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #980
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprez View Post
Here's the big questions :

Just bought a very lightly used Wraith ( kit ) a week ago. Didn't have time to work on it yet.
The previous owner had a brushless system in it ( don't know wich ) and took it off before selling the rig.

I bought a stock motor / ESC set-up at my LHS for a handfull of pocket change to be able to run my new rig.

I have a couple of options as far as motor / ESC combos go if / when I want to upgrade :

I have a brand spankin' new-in-box Castle Creations Sidewinder SV2 ESC + Castle 4-Pole 1406 5700kV motor on my workbench. I bought this set-up as an upgrade for my Losi 22 buggy that has a 13.5T Brushless Sensored motor + Losi MSC540BL-S ESC

Now here's the million dollar question :

Should I put the SV2 + 5700kV in the Wraith ( geared accordingly of course ) or should I put my 13.5T brushless sensored motor and ESC in the Wraith and keep the SV2 + 5700kV for my Losi 22 ???
I'm scratching my head on this one.
There is no "appropriate gearing" for a 5700. The 13.5 is the only option of the two.