Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Deep Purple - 4ws installed!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Well, the final pieces of the puzzle arrived a couple of days ago: 13t Team Edition Crawlmaster Pro & BRXL waterproofd esc courtesy of Holmes Hobbies. Spent many hours yesterday tackling the thing I like least about RCs, which is wiring. My soldering skills are minimal, & I'm always afraid I'm gonna wire something up wrong resulting in sparks, smoke, and/or fire. I managed to stumble through it & got her running last night

Here's a few pics of the wiring. The esc is mounted up front, along with the battery & the light & winch controllers. I ended up covering the 2 controllers with liquid electrical tape to keep the water out. I still need to pick up some dielectric grease for the connections. The reciever is in the box in the rear. Feel free to add tips, criticism, or just downright mockery.
Attached Images

slickwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

By the time I got her running, it was dark, & my wife wasn't all that thrilled that I had spent most of the day working on my "toy". I just did a little bit of testing in my gravel driveway, my little rock pile & the street. Holy crap, this thing is fast! I realize I'm used to crawling with a 55t AX10, but I wasn't expecting this. The low speed control is very nice too. Mr. Holmes definitely knows how to build some nice products

One issue I ran into was with the front MIP driveshaft hitting the spur gear. I'm running a 60t 32p Kimborough spur, & there is a little bit of contact. For now, I put the stock shaft in the front, but I would like to hear some options for fixing that. Also, for the people with MIPs, are you greasing them? I've heard some people grease, others say don't. I know the grease will attract dirt & possibly cause more wear, but how much wear is caused by no grease? I did notice a little squeak that I'm sure is coming from the rear MIP shaft.

The Savox servo is nice & powerful, but man is it noisy! It sounds like a bee hive sitting on my front axles. May have to take it apart & pack it with dielectric grease. Any issues with doing that?

Overall, with my limited amount of testing outside & in the house, this thing is badass I can't wait to actually get out on the trails with her & let 'er rip

Last edited by slickwillie; 12-14-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #43

yes i also hate wiring. I stated in my thread i wish someone would make a box to fit in the original battery spot to fit all electronics in. your looks alot better than mine so thumbs up to you
couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #44
RCC Addict

nothing I hate more than wiring a rig, and getting it to look decent! I am with you there!
Going Up! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwillie View Post
By the time I got her running, it was dark, & my wife wasn't all that thrilled that I had spent most of the day working on my "toy". I just did a little bit of testing in my gravel driveway, my little rock pile & the street. Holy crap, this thing is fast! I realize I'm used to crawling with a 55t AX10, but I wasn't expecting this. The low speed control is very nice too. Mr. Holmes definitely knows how to build some nice products

One issue I ran into was with the front MIP driveshaft hitting the spur gear. I'm running a 60t 32p Kimborough spur, & there is a little bit of contact. For now, I put the stock shaft in the front, but I would like to hear some options for fixing that. Also, for the people with MIPs, are you greasing them? I've heard some people grease, others say don't. I know the grease will attract dirt & possibly cause more wear, but how much wear is caused by no grease? I did notice a little squeak that I'm sure is coming from the rear MIP shaft.

The Savox servo is nice & powerful, but man is it noisy! It sounds like a bee hive sitting on my front axles. May have to take it apart & pack it with dielectric grease. Any issues with doing that?

Overall, with my limited amount of testing outside & in the house, this thing is badass I can't wait to actually get out on the trails with her & let 'er rip

Slickwillie it came out sweet I'm in the process aswell. About the Spur gear with the front MIP Drive shaft, Harley told me what the problem was and it fixed it, "again Thanks Harley". Cause I was having the same issue. Just flip the spur gear around and that should clear it with no problem.
muddywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
Slickwillie it came out sweet I'm in the process aswell. About the Spur gear with the front MIP Drive shaft, Harley told me what the problem was and it fixed it, "again Thanks Harley". Cause I was having the same issue. Just flip the spur gear around and that should clear it with no problem.
Thanks muddy, & a huge thanks to Harley for his knowledge. I'll have to give that & try. You gonna have yours running soon? When you do, you won't be able to wipe the off your face.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Deep Purple

nice to hear you like the motor/esc setup, im looking at getting that same setup for my wraith... when i get it. lol. when you can, you should do a running vid, se we can see the motor/esc in action. nice build.
joelKID984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Nice build
Im gonna try white lightning clean wax lube on my mip shafts. works good on my bikes. Just clean them good 1st and dirt should never stick again!

White Lightning
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

looking good, can't wait to see some video of it tearin stuff up.
fallin apart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Well, some lowlife hacker scumbag decided to give me the hackerAIDS last week, so I've been spending my time trying to get my laptop up & running. I did manage to get out & tear it up on the hill by my house a little bit. This thing just flat out gets it I really need to find some time to get it out in the woods. I did find that I have some pretty serious wheel wobble. When I added weight to the wheel, I used lead "rope" & just wrapped it around the wheel. I think the rope moved around to much & would stay centered. My left rear wheel wobbled so much I thought the axle shaft was bent.

I'm redoing the wheels with some stick on weights, hopefully that will fix the problem. I've also read about putting a thin washer behind the hex pin to shim it up a little. I don't have a video camera, but maybe I'll get lucky for Xmas.

Oh, & muddywaters, thanks for the tip on flipping the spur gear, that's just what it needed
Old 12-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #51

Love the color! Reminds me of "plum crazy"
littleblackjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwillie View Post
Well, some lowlife hacker scumbag decided to give me the hackerAIDS last week, so I've been spending my time trying to get my laptop up & running. I did manage to get out & tear it up on the hill by my house a little bit. This thing just flat out gets it I really need to find some time to get it out in the woods. I did find that I have some pretty serious wheel wobble. When I added weight to the wheel, I used lead "rope" & just wrapped it around the wheel. I think the rope moved around to much & would stay centered. My left rear wheel wobbled so much I thought the axle shaft was bent.

I'm redoing the wheels with some stick on weights, hopefully that will fix the problem. I've also read about putting a thin washer behind the hex pin to shim it up a little. I don't have a video camera, but maybe I'll get lucky for Xmas.

Oh, & muddywaters, thanks for the tip on flipping the spur gear, that's just what it needed
Anytime brother, thats what we are here for to help each other out.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Finally, the day came that I had enough time to get the Wraith out on some rocks. It seems like forever since I got it running & I've only been able to play around on my tiny rock pile & the dirt pile by my house

The weather was perfect, cold but sunny, so I headed out to Broken Dam. It's been a few years since I had been there, so I ended up getting lost & driving around in circles for a while. But I persevered & finally hit the right road & it all came back to me. For the Oregon folks that don't know, Broken Dam really is an epic crawling spot. There was some ice, about 1/8" thick, on the puddles, which made things interesting.

The HH 13t Crawlmaster / BRXL esc combo is just fantastic!! There is plenty of wheelspeed, & the low speed control is great. I would definitely recommend this setup.

Anyway, enough chatter, on to the pics My camera blows, but I have a new one on the way, will be posting up vids when it gets here.
Attached Images

Last edited by slickwillie; 12-24-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Some more
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Last ones
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #56
Rock Stacker

Have you thought about doing the beadlock rings & the diff covers the same color as your hood & panels ??
Baddawg775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #57
RCC Addict

The Pic's are sweet Slickwillie, and that looks like and awesome place for Rock Crawling.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg775 View Post
Have you thought about doing the beadlock rings & the diff covers the same color as your hood & panels ??
No, but I am thinking about another set of wheels, uncoated, with maybe some blue rings. 4ws is first though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
The Pic's are sweet Slickwillie, and that looks like and awesome place for Rock Crawling.
Thanks man. 4ws would be a lot of fun at this place. Glad to see you got yours running.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:53 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

So my wife totally blew me away tonight, saying she wants to get out of the house tomorrow. I had shown her the pictures from crawling today, & she said she wanted to have a picnic there tomorrow. The best part was when she said she wanted to drive something!! So we're going back to Broken Dam tomorrow, she'll be driving my AX10 Edge chassis, & I'll be piloting the Wraith.

I decided I might as well compare some tires, so I'm in the process of switching out the R35 Ripsaws for some Proline Swampers. I'm curious to see the difference between the two. Here they are side by side, mounted on VP SLW V4s, 1" wide. Scott Ian approves
Attached Images

Last edited by slickwillie; 12-24-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #60

Looks great Slick! And it looks like a really great place to take the Wraith.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote