Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: suspension travel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #1

Default suspension travel

Im new to this. Currently have a summit and just purchased a wraith. Im looking for more suspension travel for the rocks. Wanting to make it a crawler. Id like to know what mods or upgrades I could make to improve in this area.
chevy9534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy9534 View Post
Im new to this. Currently have a summit and just purchased a wraith. Im looking for more suspension travel for the rocks. Wanting to make it a crawler. Id like to know what mods or upgrades I could make to improve in this area.
Most limit suspension travel for crawling to keep a low COG.
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

If you want to crawl with it, you will likely want to droop the suspension to keep the COG as low as possible. Switch the battery and electronics front to back, flip the shock mounts, add some weight to the front wheels as a start.
Give that a try, and see what you need to do from there
YYCADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCADM View Post
If you want to crawl with it, you will likely want to droop the suspension to keep the COG as low as possible. Switch the battery and electronics front to back, flip the shock mounts, add some weight to the front wheels as a start.
Give that a try, and see what you need to do from there
Droop suspension is terrible. It's the quick way to lower CG without new shocks but performs terrible. We have played with droop in crawling since the beginning, it is NOT the best way.

Get some softer springs, like Losi Golds and flip the shock mounts.

Get your weight up front and most importantly, Regear the spur and pinion. A 35t motor is likely a good all around choice for you.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I'm running stock shocks at about 1/2 droop. Meaning that when the truck is at rest the shocks are about 1/2 compressed. I have aluminum wheels and have added an additional 4oz to each front and 2oz to each rear.

Now when you say "travel" do you actually mean Articulation? For more articulation you will need longer shocks and/or will need to modify shock mount locations. You could get longer shocks and pop your upper mounts up through the hood hood and do the same in the rear. You could buy or fabricate your own shock brackets.
strap624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
20K Club

Needing more articulation is a myth of crawling. The height of a pop can is more than enough flex and I bet I run about 2/3 that much flex.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #7

So far I have flipped shock mounts and installed white losi springs. Need to move battery to front. Thanks for the advice. Havent had a chance to drive yet since above was done.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #8

What do you guys suggest tire wise? Here in Texas the rocks are white rock in this area. Sorry for all the questions but ive been around and round on this form and everyone has there different choices. Just wanting to make a good choice.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I have claws, they are grooved and i run them backwards. Running them backwards seems to help them grab cracks and notches.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy9534 View Post
What do you guys suggest tire wise? Here in Texas the rocks are white rock in this area. Sorry for all the questions but ive been around and round on this form and everyone has there different choices. Just wanting to make a good choice.
Thats because there is no "best choice" on many things. Some are better than others but thats about all. Just get what you like.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I didn't say it was the "best" way, just suggested it as a starting point, in conjunction with flipping shock mounts and moving the weight around.
Stock the Wraith is way too high; droop's a low cost way to experience what lowering the COG will accomplish, that's all. I DID say that those were starting points to move forward from. I don't see much point in dropping an extra hundred bucks right out of the gate on shocks, springs and gearing without trying the free/near free things first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Droop suspension is terrible. It's the quick way to lower CG without new shocks but performs terrible. We have played with droop in crawling since the beginning, it is NOT the best way.

Get some softer springs, like Losi Golds and flip the shock mounts.

Get your weight up front and most importantly, Regear the spur and pinion. A 35t motor is likely a good all around choice for you.
YYCADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #12
20K Club

Quote:
I didn't say it was the "best" way, just suggested it as a starting point, in conjunction with flipping shock mounts and moving the weight around.
Stock the Wraith is way too high; droop's a low cost way to experience what lowering the COG will accomplish, that's all. I DID say that those were starting points to move forward from. I don't see much point in dropping an extra hundred bucks right out of the gate on shocks, springs and gearing without trying the free/near free things first.
I still wouldn't go to droop, just softer springs. They are under $10.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
he doesnt need to spend money on shocks anyways, the stock shocks are perfect for crawling IMO. comes with the correct amount of travel (not too much, not too little)

a low cost way to lower the COG on the wraith is take out the heavy seats, and then add weight to the tires and wheels.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote