Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: WarTraders Poision Spider Customs Jeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

Default Re: WarTraders RUBI JEEP (Big Blue)

I was hoping to get all the electrics done but sadly I realized there were a few supplies that I really needed and of course my local hobby shop had only one out of 5 things I needed.... NOOO Comment.

I finished up the paint on the body! I also mounted my TSL Super Swampers on some new Mayhem Monster EX. Dan and Debbie and Mayhem never ever fail to impress with the quality of the products them make and sell!

I love the Dynamic Conconcepts Rubi body. I just coulding decide on how to set up my headlights. I really hated to partially fill the space with the large axial large body mounted bucket. I tried the stock locations but they don't line up with the headlights in the body. After making some plates and struggling with some hood mounting decisions I ended up with this!

I'm loving how this is turning out. I going to have to wait for the mail man to get any further. Besides I've got a comp tomorrow soo Thanks for looking.

Last edited by WarTrader; 01-21-2012 at 04:49 PM.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #82
RCC Addict

Turned out real good I might say!
Maddog Madigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

Default Re: WarTraders Wraith V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog Madigan View Post
Turned out real good I might say!
Thanks bro.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Turned out sweet WaTrader, I also like that color. Did you cut the hood to put hinges on for easy battery access. Man I Can't wait to get mine in the mail.
muddywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
Turned out sweet WaTrader, I also like that color. Did you cut the hood to put hinges on for easy battery access. Man I Can't wait to get mine in the mail.
I left the grill, hood, and windshield all one piece. If I would cut the hood in a good place to hinge it, it would either block half of my battery mount location or look very odd. I would have to cut it right at the base of the windshield frame, and it would be hard to come up with a good way to mount it.

Here is what I came up with.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #86
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTrader View Post
I left the grill, hood, and windshield all one piece. If I would cut the hood in a good place to hinge it, it would either block half of my battery mount location or look very odd. I would have to cut it right at the base of the windshield frame, and it would be hard to come up with a good way to mount it.

Here is what I came up with.

Sweet !!! thanks for the heads up I got to see what I come up with.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #87
Quarry Creeper

the rig looks SWEET, so does the bumper. nice build
joelKID984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #88
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelKID984 View Post
the rig looks SWEET, so does the bumper. nice build
TY, Electronics are up next. yeah
Old 01-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: WarTraders Wraith V2 Getting Close!

I also mocked up the boatsides the AngryOne at Carter Fab and Machine made for me !

I also swapped out my shocks caps to STRC caps, and STRC aluminum Servo mounts. Now if I can get this cold knocked out and feel better I could get this thing done![/QUOTE]

does he sell these? id love like 3 sets?
calikrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

i like the look of it. nice job
joelKID984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #91
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikrawler View Post
I also mocked up the boatsides the AngryOne at Carter Fab and Machine made for me ! I also swapped out my shocks caps to STRC caps, and STRC aluminum Servo mounts. Now if I can get this cold knocked out and feel better I could get this thing done!
does he sell these? id love like 3 sets?[/QUOTE]

Yeah check the body and paint section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelKID984 View Post
i like the look of it. nice job
Thanks

A little later today I'm stating all the wiring. Yeah cannot wait (insert sarcasm)
Old 01-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #92
Rock Crawler

if only i had money. the things i could create if i had money. i think i should get a job
theloudone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Those boatsides look great. Definitely liking the color too
slickwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #94
Pebble Pounder

Nice job. I really like the color and your wheels. Check out my wheels. grin
Attached Images

Quartermaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #95
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloudone View Post
if only i had money. the things i could create if i had money. i think i should get a job
I hear you this thing is a money pit. I sold off a bunch of my comp gear to build this. Getting impatient on driving it I gotta say though~

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwillie View Post
Those boatsides look great. Definitely liking the color too
Angryone does some amazing work. It looks good online, once you get it in the sun it really pops. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermaster View Post
Nice job. I really like the color and your wheels. Check out my wheels. grin
Thanks! Your wheels look fantastic!
Old 01-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #96
Rock Crawler

I got some more work done today. I wanted to get a lot more done but sadly I had some errands to run.

I started off by making a electronics box. I've made these a few times and they work out really well and keep things nice and dry! I use water line nipples and a project box from Radioshack!(sorry for the dark pics I'm trying to learn how to use my camera and I got something wrong!)

I cut some of the water line nipple off 3 ridges to be exact, and then glue it into the side of the box. This will allow me to run the wires out and then use a balloon to make a good tight water tight seal. The ribs on the nipple will hold the balloon and ziptie in place.

Now I'm starting on to the electronics. I like to start getting all the outlying systems ready, and just plug everything in and test before I start actually hiding the wires and bolting things together.

I'm starting with my servo winch. I've used 3Racing winches in the past and love them but I like the power of a servo winch a little more. I'm using a cheapo Hitec 645. They are available for $30.00, and I have a few others that I can use for spare parts if needed. I've killed one of these in the past, I accidentally hit the three way switch on the radio and over heated the servo without noticing. In this build and in my other wraith I will have a manual switch I use that will turn on the winch. It will still operate from the radio but when I'm not going to be using it it will be powered down to avoid accidents.

I'm using Heyok's servo winch controller. I really makes it smooth and easy to do without fighting with drift or struggling with the pot. You start off by disassembling the servo and removing the main gear.

You will need to remove the pin and the mount for the pot underneath the gear. You will end up with this look.

Next up you remove the controller board. With the exception of the motor wires, I just cut all the wires. The wires on the motor I remove by unsoldering them. I then solder in the Heyok unit to the motor. I then reassemble everything, using dielectric grease I seal all of the case seams, the port where the wire enters, and put a large blob around the base of the main drive gear/output. This will give you a good reliable waterproof winch!

All ready to install!

There is more info available on servo winches from these sources.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/elect...o-winch**.html
Old 01-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #97
Rock Crawler

I got into the meat of the electrical system today. I started off by making a lead that will connect the battery, esc, and BEC. I do this to keep my electronics more modular, which makes wrenching a lot easier.

I then started to getting the bec ready by setting the voltage to 7v. I'm only using one for the front steering servo. I'm going to let the rear servo get it's power from my HH-BRXL. This will will supply the rear servo with 6v.

I've tested everything after I complete each step. This makes problem solving much easier. After everything worked like it was intended to, I started installing the reciever, BEC and my servo extensions.

I use servo extension for all my components again it helps to keep things easy when it comes to maintenance. I label each extension as I install them to keep things simple.

My next step is to test one more time before I waterproof the radio box, and install everything for the last time.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #98
Rock Crawler

I finished this thing up today it has gone from a roller to a nice crawler!

I buttoned up the electrical box, and made a power cut out for my winch. I then ran all the wires and got everything plugged in.

If your wondering about why I run a switch on my servo winch it's because I accidentally bumped the button on my Tx once and burned a winch. Since then I like to put a power switch so that when I lean down to use the winch I just flip the switch and power the winch up so If my big dumb fingers bump the control no harm no foul.

Since it runs I went to my favorite little rock garden to give her a easy shake down I was only running 2S.

I added rear steer only on my 4pl eventhough others don't like it. For me it is a fantastic addition. It flows very very well for me (then again I drive a forlkift that is rear steer all day soo...).

On a side note I had this almost ready to go and decided to change my mind and go with the 3300Kv Tekin Pro 4, and MMP. I'm currently only running one BEC for the front and relying on the ESC bec to power the rear servo at 6v. The BRXL is native at 6v and I set my Castle MMP to 6v. I switched the motor and the ESC back in and plugged in everything and tested the systems to make sure everything worked smootly. With the MMP I browned out everything, the BEC wasn't up to the task. It was soo bad that when I put any stress on the rear servo it actually would cause the RX to shut down for a split second and I'd have to wait for the whole system to reconnect.

The BRXL powers the system flawlessly. On 2S this Torquemaster is fun but being such a low turn it just isn't making my eyes bug out in the torque dept. It is awsome in the wheel speed, braking is fantastic, and it climbs nice but it bogged down just a little too much a few times for my taste. Looks like I'm ordering another BEC LOL.

Last edited by WarTrader; 02-05-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #99
RCC Addict

Wartrader that wraith and Jeep body came out Bad A$$ brother.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #100
RCC Addict

Hell yeah! Very nice
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote