Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: WarTraders Poision Spider Customs Jeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: WarTraders Wraith V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
Wartrader that wraith and Jeep body came out Bad A$$ brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die-Laughing View Post
Hell yeah! Very nice
Thank you soo much! I'm loving it. I drive a 1:1 Rubicon TJ. This is my first Jeep I have plans for a couple more!

I also forgot to mention I added a set of SS links one of the guys in the NIRC made for a few of us in the club!

Die Laughing bro these are some really really nice links. I usually make my own but these were waay too nice to pass up on.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #102
Rock Crawler

I just finished my 4 wheel steering. Starting my wiring, what you have done with your wiring setup very impressive. With the holmes esc you still feel the need for 2 bec's. I would be nice if you could show your wiring job installed in the vehicle to see how you ran your wires.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #103
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by k goodrich View Post
I just finished my 4 wheel steering. Starting my wiring, what you have done with your wiring setup very impressive. With the holmes esc you still feel the need for 2 bec's. I would be nice if you could show your wiring job installed in the vehicle to see how you ran your wires.
Thanks! For me the BRXL seems to have enough power for the 7980 I have in the rear steer. Mind you that servo is a beast and running at just 6V it's putting out 500 torque oz/in. I've already ordered a BEC because I'm going to go back to running the MMP and Tekin Pro 4. I like the torque/wheel speed balance there a little better than the brushed motors I own.

The Holmes motors I have are real beasts, but just aren't fitting my intent of this build which is more crawler/trail runner that go fast. The motor is probably going to end up in my other wraith.

I was going to take some pics as I ran wires but I got too excited to drive it and forgot. I have a little shake down run around the neighbor hood run planned for before the Superbowl!

I'll be tearing it down when the BEC Comes in and I'll get some pics then. Now I'm moving on to making it more scale and adding details.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #104
Quarry Creeper

nice man, one of hte neastestwriing jobs ive seen in a while. nice work, i hate electronics. LOL
joelKID984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #105
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelKID984 View Post
nice man, one of hte neastestwriing jobs ive seen in a while. nice work, i hate electronics. LOL

Thanks. It's not a favorite of mine just gotta take your time. Nothing replaces exerience. Tear a rig down a couple times with all hard wired electronics and soon you learn to be modular.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #106
Rock Crawler

Well I have some new toys heading this way for this build. Among them a few scale features. One of the things I'm a little excited about is this

MG200 did a fantastic job of putting this together for me. The concept of this is based off of a Poision Spider Customs rear stinger spare tire carriers. I've always wanted one of their front and rear stingers for my 1:1 TJ Rubicon.

I'll also be adding beef tubes, and over under drive diff gears, and a new front bumper from MG200.

I'm heading to a comp tomorrow not sure this rig is going to see much run time but I'd like to try and get a little video of it in action!

Last edited by WarTrader; 02-25-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:44 AM   #107
Quarry Creeper

that looks sic, sooo scale looking. MG200 does nice work for sure.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #108
Rock Crawler

Had a little time today to work on this rig. I got the new spare tire carrier painted the other evening and got it mounted up today. I have a few touches I want to add to this but for now I'm pretty happy with it.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #109
Rock Crawler

I got some more done this afternoon! I used Corrosion X on my MMP and my Pro 4 (just a little insurance). I'm not planning on running this rig in the water and muck, but accidents and weather happen.

I also dropped the front axle and installed beef tubes and a VP axle truss. God that is some sexy CNC work.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #110
Rock Crawler

Default Re: WarTraders Wraith V2 2-BEC's

I'm going to be going to a MMP and a 3300KV Tekin Pro4. The problem is that the Hitec 7980 rear servo browns out the RX. The MMP's internal BEC (set at 6V isn't up to the task) and as you all know the BRXL's BEC is very capable of keeping the 7980 happy but it is sadly a brushed only ESC.

I keep getting PM's with questions about how I wired my BEC. I don't do it per the castle diagram. I'm running a servo winch that just isn't going to be happy with 7V that the steering servos are looking for. So what I'm going to do is wire this up so that only my Servos get 7V and the rest of my system RX, servo winch, and my lights will be happily running on 6V.

To start with I'm not going to use a castle Pro BEC simply because it is the size of a ESC and I just don't have that much space to use. Both of my CC-BEC's will be mounted in my electronics box. I'm going to Plasti Dip my light control module so that water isn't an issue, and it will be mounted under the chassis.

So here is how I do this. Of course I start off with two BEC's I'll be soldering their positive and negative leads into some bullet connectors along with two extra leads that will power my light module. The bullet connectors get plugged into leads that come straight off the battery.

Next I'll move to the the other side of the BEC. I figure out how long I need the leads that will go to the servo/Rx and cut off the plug. I then take the orange wire (or the signal wire) and heat shrink it out of the way. This lead will not be used.

Next I get all the stuff together and get ready to put install the plugs.

I then put male servo plug ends on the ends of the Red (Positive) wire, the Brown (Negative) wire, and I put a female and male end on a short piece of wire that will act the the new signal wire. In this case that is the yellow wire. I use needle nose pliers to install the crimp on ends.

After the ends are on it's time to put them into the actual servo connectors. Just remember if the crimp on end doesn't slide in and lock into the connector don't force it take your time and make sure none of the crimps are sticking up and keeping them from fully engaging into the connector it's self.

Please note the order of the colors and where they go in the connectors.

Next thing you do is slide the plastic sleeve on the connector with the male crimp on ends. This makes it a female connector. This is where your going to plug you servo. The male connector (the connector on the end of the yellow wire) will plug into your Rx.

Now the servos get their power straight from the BEC's and only rely on the Rx for instructions on what to do via the signal wire! This way the Rx isn't taxed by the high voltage high torque servos we all use now.

That's pretty much it. You can get the connectors, and wire from tower, and A-main. You can usually reuse the wire/connector you cut off the BEC, and cut down on how much stuff you have to have to finish this up. I just do it this way so I can minimize the wire and don't have rigid solder joints to try and get tucked into a Rx box.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #111
RCC Addict

Very nice.. Your a wiring madman! You did a good job on that.

Have you tested it out yet?
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #112
Rock Crawler

Yup. Gotta tighten the front servo arm though. Too tired and I have a few family things to do now soo.. I have one problem with it though. On 2s (yeah 2s) with a little tuning in the esc the friggin pro 4 will pop the front tires and hold them for almost three feet and will pull the front tires when I punch the throttle other than running toped out it will pull the left front.. LMAO this thing is sick.

I'm afraid of 3s to be honest. If I'm gonna run 3s in this thing I'm going to have to de-tune it other wise I'm going to be walking to flip it over more than drive it LOL.

Just in case anybody wants to know. I'm running 56-14 and stock gears in the pumpkins. My temps for about half a 500Mah pack were running between 120* and 130*.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #113
Rock Crawler

I have some plans to finish this thing up soon and give it's name. The biggest thing that has been delaying me progressing this build is the fact it is by far my most favorite build to day and with the motor esc combo it is a blast to drive! Even on 2s.

I did get one thing done though. When Trenton (MG200) made the tire carrier he did a fantastic job and I'm loving it. He added a bolt to hold the tire in. I like it but to be honest I didn't wanna scratch my wheels LOL. Not to mention on the real tire carrier ratchet tie down is used to hold the tire in place. I looked on line and just couldn't find anything that was working for me so I decided it was time to see what I could come up with.

I'm really happy with how it turned out and it seems to be doing a great job of keeping the tire in place. I've actually found a couple great benefits of this carrier. It make flipping over backwards pretty hard to accomplish. Not to mention with the spare mounted up so high it really helps to push it back onto it's wheels on a roll over!

Now I'm not happy with the current bumper it is a great bumper and will probably be heading onto my comp rig in the future. I have been annoying to tar outta MG200 with pictures and measurements and begging and pleading and all I can say is he came through with exactly what I wanted and then some!

With the Dynamic Concepts Rubi body I really didn't like cutting big grooves in the grill to clearance the upper bumper mounts. Soo MG200 did the unthinkable with his bumper! Made it modular!

Now I have the added benefit on a clean mount and with the addition of a couple spacers I can have as much or as little room as required for whatever body I may want to run in the distant future!
Old 03-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #114
Quarry Creeper

i really like the front and rear bumpers. having a tyre right off theback, does it affect crawling ability?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #115
Chassis & Tubework Vendor

Chris, front bumper looks great painted and it matches the rear bumper style too! Looking forward to seeing some pics of this Jeep all back together
MG200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #116
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelKID984 View Post
i really like the front and rear bumpers. having a tyre right off theback, does it affect crawling ability?
A little but not as much as you would think then again I run my batteries up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG200 View Post
Chris, front bumper looks great painted and it matches the rear bumper style too! Looking forward to seeing some pics of this Jeep all back together
I'm hoping to get a bunch done to it this up coming weekend. You did a fantastic job on the bumpers thanks!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #117
Quarry Creeper

can you post a picture of where you mounted your servo winch please?
snail78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #118
Rock Crawler

OMG somebody stole the ENGINE! Time to put in my new MG200 bumper.

Out with the old bumper in with the NEW!

The servo winch mount part of the install went in easy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snail78 View Post
can you post a picture of where you mounted your servo winch please?
Sorry I didn't reply earlier but I didn't have any pics and I knew I was going to be swapping bumpers so.

I then went ahead and cut and mounted a new hood to match the new bumper.

I'm loving this front bumper, the front end really feels rock solid with this set up and I have a ton of clearance for the steering servo!
Old 03-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #119
Rock Crawler

I love painting!

Crappy Cellphone Teaser pic!

What a relaxing day. My beautiful wife even chimed in on this build and threw this together for me. Got some ideas and this is just a simple prototype but I'm loving it!

Decided I wanted to add a fuel cell to this build. Mostly for the scale point just in case I want to ever take it to a comp. Doubtful as this is just my trail rig. Well I really couldn't make this thing bright red as many fuel cells are so I decided to go with a brushed aluminum look. Not entirely happy how this thing turned out but where it's mounted it's hard to see anyway so what the heck!

Last edited by WarTrader; 03-25-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #120
Quarry Creeper

thank you for the pics
snail78 is offline   Reply With Quote