Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: WarTraders Poision Spider Customs Jeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default WarTraders Poision Spider Customs Jeep

Well I've enjoyed my RTR Wraith soo much I decided to go ahead and get myself a KIT. This build is going to be a little more on the crawler side. With the exception of the power which will be a little over the top for a crawler. To start I began on the axles.

This build will be getting some serious power put to it so I went with Felsenfest Zero slop spools and Axial U's front and rear.

This build will be sporting 4WS soo I placed and order with Vanquish and after all the toys were added things ended up here.

Thats as far as I got this weekend please keep watching!

Last edited by WarTrader; 03-27-2012 at 01:07 PM.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

tell me more about these spools. that all looks very bling so far. did the spools some with the metal retainers?
bmf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmf24 View Post
tell me more about these spools. that all looks very bling so far. did the spools some with the metal retainers?
The Bearing retainers are STRC, and the spools are made by a german machinist with insane attention to detail. This is my third set and I've not had a complaint. They are the AX10 versions and you can get them here.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles...ls-locker.html
Old 11-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
20K Club

Thats some good looking bling!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Thats some good looking bling!
Thanks Harley.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

nice man. This build looks interesting. I am looking into getting 4WS on my wraith, what do i need to do it. i have no idea

thanks,
man.
joelKID984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelKID984 View Post
nice man. This build looks interesting. I am looking into getting 4WS on my wraith, what do i need to do it. i have no idea

thanks,
man.
Basically you build two front axles.

Inside the axle you are going to need bearings, 4 in total (the ones that fit in the chubs), universal axles, or dog bones and cups .

Moving to the outside of the axle you will need C's, hubs, a servo mounting plate and servo mounts. In the link department you will need a tie rod and a drag link.

Now here is where the money really starts adding up quickly. A second steering servo must be added, keep in mind that just like your front axle you will need to make sure it gets the power it needs so you may need a second BEC for it. Controlling the servo can be done a few ways. The cheapest way is with a reversed y servo extension. Next is with a budget radio with a programmable 3 position switch. That isn't the easiest to control or drive but can be made to work. Next is one of the Futaba radios that have software designed specifically for the purpose of 4WS, your options are the 3PMX, the 4PL or the 4PKS.

If you like the way Harleys works of of those three are you options as that is how he controls his (4PKS, mind you he is sponsored by them and isn't paying 499.99 for his so I would recommend the 4PL if your going to use a winch, as you will need all 4 channels, that is the one I'm using.

Last edited by WarTrader; 11-29-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTrader View Post
Basically you build two front axles.

Inside the axle you are going to need bearings, 4 in total (the ones that fit in the chubs), universal axles, or dog bones and cups .

Moving to the outside of the axle you will need C's, hubs, a servo mounting plate and servo mounts. In the link department you will need a tie rod and a drag link.

Now here is where the money really starts adding up quickly. A second steering servo must be added, keep in mind that just like your front axle you will need to make sure it gets the power it needs so you may need a second BEC for it. Controlling the servo can be done a few ways. The cheapest way is with a reversed y servo extension. Next is with a budget radio with a programmable 3 position switch. That isn't the easiest to control or drive but can be made to work. Next is one of the Futaba radios that have software designed specifically for the purpose of 4WS, your options are the 3PMX, the 4PL or the 4PKS.

If you like the way Harleys works of of those three are you options as that is how he controls his (4PKS, mind you he is sponsored by them and isn't paying 499.99 for his so I would recommend the 4PL if your going to use a winch, as you will need all 4 channels, that is the one I'm using.
OMG, thanks so much man, this is exactly what i needed. i am planning to go with the 4PL, like you said the 4PKS is way out my price range. it is much appreciated

oh yer, just quick, does that mean i need a front axle housing?

Last edited by joelKID984; 11-29-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
OMG, thanks so much man, this is exactly what i needed. i am planning to go with the 4PL, like you said the 4PKS is way out my price range. it is much appreciated

oh yer, just quick, does that mean i need a front axle housing?
NO, long as you use the stock axle housings. Only way that changes is if you go with the aluminum RC4WD ones they are front and rear specific. To be honest other than bragging rights and bling there isn't much point in the RC4WD ones. Even if you beat the crap outta a stock one and break it look at the price of replacement.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

for sure man, the metal will mark bad too. i would if i had the cash to BURRRRRN!!! lol
Old 12-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

just a quick questoin, did the zero slip spools come assembled?
Old 12-02-2011, 01:58 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
just a quick questoin, did the zero slip spools come assembled?
No spools come assembled. You have to pit the ring on and get the set screws lined up

Sent from my DROIDX
Old 12-02-2011, 02:17 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

is it easy. im looking into it, but have never done it.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
is it easy. im looking into it, but have never done it.
Its not difficult if you have the tools. With a Felsenfest spool I would recommend making sure you have a 2.5mm ball end hex for the set screws closest to the rings other wise it could be a little difficult.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

thanks for the heads up man.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Default The next installment of 4WS

I had some more time in the shop today and made some good progress on the axles.

I was using plastic flange pipes for the bushings on the chubs in the rear axle. I've never been a big fan of them. They tend to bind and cause the servo to work extra hard. Plastic flange pipes also tend to wear pretty quickly. I ordered a set of brass pipes from Delux.

The ones I ordered were for the Axial AX10-SCX10 and I wasn't sure they would fit. They were a little too big to slide into the VP hubs and clear the VP C's. I filed them down and sanded the flange down just a little and they fit great!

I've had a lot of people asking me about 4WS and I will try and do this part of the build a little more detailed to help out. This is a pic of most of the major components, minus the drag links and tie rods, ready to go together.

Everything is all assembled and ready to go.

If you pay close attention you'll see that I'm using different front and rear servos. I'm doing this intentionally, the HS7950TH in the front will be running on 7V and produce 486 oz/in of torque and the rear is a monster HS7980TH. The HS7980TH will be running at 6V straight off the MMP and will produce 500 in/oz of toque. This will keep my wiring a little more simple by just using one small CCBEC for the front. I also wanted the big beast of a servo out back to make sure I had something out there that can keep the rear wheels tracking straight no matter how much power is going to the ground. If all else fails I can bump the rear to 7V also and it will produce 611 in/oz of torque if that doesn't do it I'm going back to a straight axle.

Last edited by WarTrader; 12-03-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #17

Love the poison spyder diff covers man
crawl59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl59 View Post
Love the poison spyder diff covers man
Thanks, I've loved poison spider for years and always wanted get a ton of their stuff for my 1:1 TJ. Least I can kinda afford this stuff LOL
Old 12-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

DAMN MAN, those servos, have some SERIOUS, torgue, when i look into putting 4WS on my wraith... when i get it. lol. that HS7980TH is definetly on the list. i've always went wit hfutaba servos, but it is changing my mind for sure. might fine work ther, WarTrader!!!
Old 12-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Let me pick my jaw off the ground, let me know How the settings go for you.
Maddog Madigan is offline   Reply With Quote