Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New to crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #1

Default New to crawling

Hey everyone I'm new to crawling but not new to rc. Ive got a plat edition revo and a 3.3 maxx. The revo has a .26 picco and modded beyond belief. Winter time sucks cause cant drive my rc. Anyway want to get into crawling and really like the wraith. Ive been reading alot on these and cant decide to get the kit or rtr. Im new to the electric motors as all ive owned is gas. Ive already got a radio and reciever but thats it. I def wanna go brushless but dont know anything about the tunning of the esc. Should i take it slow or just build one haha. I really like the tekin rs pro setup with the tekin 17. I know this isnt much of a question and more of a rant but.....
09bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New to crawling

Deciding on whether you want an RTR or a kit, is sometimes a hard decision as they both have there pros and cons. The advantages of the RTR, is that it literally comes "Ready To Run". You take it out of the box, charge it up, and have fun, almost instantly. The disadvantages for the RTR's however, are that the electronics, generally, and i dont mean, all of them, but they GENERALLY are not that great. The servos, dont have enough torque for crawling purposes etc and the motors are just plain crap. so if you get the RTR, the first upgrade will be the electroncs. This brings me to the KIT versions. With the kit versions, they dont come with ANY electronics, you have to buy them, however this provides you with the decision to purchase the electronics that suit you and your driving style. Also the KIT versions, come with numerous option parts, the wriath version, comes with the softer version of the ripsaws, which are softer and more sticky, with is important for crawling. they also come with aluminium links, not complete links set but, front or the rear, and also universials, which greatly improve your turning radius, which also will assist you in crawing. So you are actually saving money as al this will proberally cost about $80, just for the option parts. the next thing about the KIT version, is, are you willing to spend the time to build the rig. i personally will get a KIT rig as often as i can as one, i enjoy building them, and 2, as i build them i get an understanding on how the rig gets put together, so when a part breaks, i know exactly how to ge tto the part and how to fix it. These are a couple of things to consider when deciding upon an RTR or a KIT, but, i believe that a kit version will save you money in the long run.

if you need help deciding on motors, esc, radios, etc, check out harleys thread, 'Wraith Beginners Guide - Updated 8/1/11', he explains every main component of the rig and the options you can take whether it be crawling or a rock racer. i hope this helps
joelKID984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #3

I am a newbie too and I have the rtr. I have already crack couple of the lower links and my servo went out after on say 4 chargers and about 7 hours of driving.
07trd4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #4

I did read all the beginner's threads and what the weak links are and pros and cons of both. I guess the main factor is if the wife will let me drop 800 right away haha. I'm really considering getting the tekin pro 17 kit. And a futaba 9157. I appreciate all the feedback and I do enjoy building them. All my rc's get torn apart 100% 1 sometimes 2 times a year for cleaning and just good fun. I'll keep you updated as to what I decide to do. I do want to paint my own body as well. Sounds like the benefits are better just to get the kit and be done with it.
09bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09bumblebee View Post
Sounds like the benefits are better just to get the kit and be done with it.
Excellent idea. Go for it and have a blast.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote

New to crawling - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock crawling vet, new to rc crawling. LowLock Newbie General 3 02-23-2011 07:53 AM
New to RC crawling old to real crawling need help Longgun101 Newbie General 9 11-11-2009 07:05 AM
anyone crawling near vegas going to be crawling on monday or tuesday? KILLER KRAWLER Nevada 4 08-09-2009 08:07 PM
New to RC Crawling jrsmith_80 Newbie General 3 11-17-2007 01:34 PM