Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: How to set up rear steering with Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #1

Default How to set up rear steering with Wraith

i am looking for some pictures or anything. i am not sure, will my battery get low. or will it go dead? if i set up the rear steering on my wraith? i am just wondering...... thanks.
DH-89XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: How to set up rear steering with Wraith

Your battery has nothing to do with the rear steering.

If it gets low or goes dead then you need to recharge it regardless of how many axles steer.

1 more HT servo is not going to draw all that much more power that you will have battery issues but will reduce your drive time some.

How to do it? Well you will need a 4 channel radio unless you want to Y-harness the 2 servos together but then you will loose your trim ability of each individual servo.

Will need a steering axle to put under the rear. Dont know if its been cobbled together yet on the Wraith.
1320Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

you need to start with this ...

My build isn't even close to being done but I have some more info on my build thread here

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...aith-v2-2.html
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
20K Club

Add 4 Wheel Steering to Your Wraith

And done.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #5

okay, i am looking at another wraith with rear steering. well, i am wondering, is it enough for my AR-3 2.4GHz RECEIVER with rear steering? will it work?
Old 12-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH-89XJ View Post
okay, i am looking at another wraith with rear steering. well, i am wondering, is it enough for my AR-3 2.4GHz RECEIVER with rear steering? will it work?
The axial radio? That is not an ideal radio. You can get a reversing y-harness but that's it. A 4PL is probably your best choice to get all the abilities out of the 4WS.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post

Hahaha Harley you are so matter of fact! I cant number the posts you've replied to questions with a LINK and boop, Done!! I agreee with harley on the 4pl so you can set your trim up on the rear. Otherwise with the y-harness the rear turns at the same time the front does so good luck not flipping while turning if your bashing at higher speeds. You also wont be able to do the "crab walk" which is very usefull in some technical situations.
JimmyJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #8

alright, i don't mind. i will just try to set up rear steering on my wraith.

Last edited by DH-89XJ; 12-26-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #9

Can you use the traxxas 4 channel radio and 5 channel reciever that comes in a summit to run a rear steer setup? How well would it work? They are a lot cheaper than th 4pk.
bbungard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #10
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbungard View Post
Can you use the traxxas 4 channel radio and 5 channel reciever that comes in a summit to run a rear steer setup? How well would it work? They are a lot cheaper than th 4pk.
You can, you won't have mixing but it will work. The 4PL is about 200 and is a better choice. The 4PK is very expensive and way overkill for something like this. The TQ4 would give you 3 position rear steer which is fine in the rocks but useless at speed. The nice thing about the 4PL is you can adjust the percentage of rear steer on the fly so it is just barely being used while at speed. It helps handling at speed this way. I use the crab steer a lot when hill climbing, I just turn the percentage down to about 30.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I was able to get rear steer to work quit nicely with a Spektrum DX3C transmitter, has rear steer mix etc. I do however need to depress the scroll wheel twice to activate the "crab walk" but set the rear steer with the thumb switch for the on/off. Works nice for and the TX w/1 RX was under $140.00
BONDONUTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I use my DX3r for my rear steer. Just have it toggle independantly from the front, like on the 1:1. Only thing is it is set to turn to full lock whereever you have that set but that is generally not an issue.
MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNorby View Post
Only thing is it is set to turn to full lock whereever you have that set but that is generally not an issue.
See that is how I had it on my 4PK before I went to the 4PKS. it works but is not as useful. When the rear steer is fully proportional and you can back the percentage down quickly it makes the rear steer useful. My rear steer is active probably 90% of the time.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Ok I know this question will probably get flamed or moved but I have to ask anyway since it directly involves the rear steering. the question is: Is there a way to get a seperately controlled rear steer that doesn't work off the radio wheel control. Kinda like a joystick in a 1:1 rig idea. Or is it even possible to do? I guess just to give an example is if my wraith is going up a hill and the front wheels were turned to the right and I needed to move the rear wheel back and forth with out moving the front. Is there a way to do that or is it impossible due to electronics? Almost like if you had 2 people driving the same rig one controlling the front wheels and and one controlling the rear wheels.
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhd04 View Post
Ok I know this question will probably get flamed or moved but I have to ask anyway since it directly involves the rear steering. the question is: Is there a way to get a seperately controlled rear steer that doesn't work off the radio wheel control. Kinda like a joystick in a 1:1 rig idea. Or is it even possible to do? I guess just to give an example is if my wraith is going up a hill and the front wheels were turned to the right and I needed to move the rear wheel back and forth with out moving the front. Is there a way to do that or is it impossible due to electronics? Almost like if you had 2 people driving the same rig one controlling the front wheels and and one controlling the rear wheels.
4PL does it. Just program it on a DT switch.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
4PL does it. Just program it on a DT switch.
I knew you'd have an answer for me. Thanks a ton man.
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

What does this mod cost total? Minus the receiver
redskittle4792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #18
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskittle4792 View Post
What does this mod cost total? Minus the receiver
Depends what parts you use. With stock stuff it can be cheap, with upgrades it can be expensive. Anywhere from $75-300+ depending on servo cost and such.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Alright thanks Harley. I would want a pretty strong rear servo right? So when I'm just using front steer the rear tires don't get pushed sideways by rocks? And I'm on a budget so I'll start with a stock axle and upgrade when things break. What is a cheap receiver you would recommend?
redskittle4792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #20
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskittle4792 View Post
Alright thanks Harley. I would want a pretty strong rear servo right? So when I'm just using front steer the rear tires don't get pushed sideways by rocks? And I'm on a budget so I'll start with a stock axle and upgrade when things break. What is a cheap receiver you would recommend?
You mean radio and receiver or just the receiver? Spending money on a good radio is something I always suggest. It's your only link to an expensive truck. A $200 4PL is what I consider the perfect do it all radio for 99% of crawlers.

How to set up rear steering with Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TSL foam set up on wraith highhpcummins Tires and Wheels 3 11-03-2011 10:53 AM
Chaotic Crawlers Wraith Steering Tierod Set ***GIVEAWAY*** Chaotic Crawlers Axial Wraith 186 08-16-2011 11:15 PM
rear link set up sid15 Tamiya XC/CC01 8 08-06-2010 01:49 PM
Would I need 2 sets of rear wheels or 1 set of rear and 1 set of front?!? FFRCJosh Tires and Wheels 10 03-01-2006 08:19 PM