RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Help with drag link and tie rod. (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/358709-help-drag-link-tie-rod.html)

07trd4x4 01-09-2012 02:07 PM

Help with drag link and tie rod.

So I got these from VP couple weeks ago and having issues with the alignment. I can get it to go straight and it seems like the front tires are off caster(think that is the word. The driver wheel looks like it is tilted inward). I thought I measured right and it still wants to pull to the left. What am I doing wrong. Any advice!?! Help?!?

Thx in advance.

07trd4x4

crawlhog 01-09-2012 03:11 PM

Re: Help with drag link and tie rod.

add a spacer on one or both sides of the drag link to center it.

jthellfire911 01-09-2012 04:23 PM

Make sure both of you c hubs are aligned the same. Did you set your trim on your tx?

07trd4x4 01-09-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawlhog (Post 3495014)
add a spacer on one or both sides of the drag link to center it.

You lost me, What kind?

07trd4x4 01-09-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jthellfire911 (Post 3495202)
Make sure both of you c hubs are aligned the same. Did you set your trim on your tx?

Yeah c hubs are aligned.

Yeah I set my trim to the middle and it goes. I have to turn it all the way clock almost clockwise to get it to go straight

Land Crab 01-09-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 07trd4x4 (Post 3494893)
So I got these from VP couple weeks ago and having issues with the alignment. I can get it to go straight and it seems like the front tires are off caster(think that is the word. The driver wheel looks like it is tilted inward). I thought I measured right and it still wants to pull to the left. What am I doing wrong. Any advice!?! Help?!?

Thx in advance.

07trd4x4

This may or may not be of help. When I first got my VP tie rod and drag link installed I could not get it to track straight. I am new to RC and the Radio did not come with any instructions. I did not know there was a steering trim knob on the radio. But once I discovered it, labled ST-Trim under the flip up cover, I was able to center the steering and servo horn at will.

07trd4x4 01-09-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Land Crab (Post 3495376)
This may or may not be of help. When I first got my VP tie rod and drag link installed I could not get it to track straight. I am new to RC and the Radio did not come with any instructions. I did not know there was a steering trim knob on the radio. But once I discovered it, labled ST-Trim under the flip up cover, I was able to center the steering and servo horn at will.

I am new too.
Thanks for the input
I did figure that out and it is annoying ( I am OCD) that the trim is not in the center. Completely clockwise. ;)

Fanfor88 01-09-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 07trd4x4 (Post 3495438)
I am new too.
Thanks for the input
I did figure that out and it is annoying ( I am OCD) that the trim is not in the center. Completely clockwise. ;)

I dont think they are ever in the center. None of my RC`s are ever in the center no matter what.When i got my VP i did end up taking them back off a few times to center everything. It still doesnt look center when you look at them but it tracks straight with very little steering trim, so it`s all good for me :mrgreen:

JUGGARNAUT 01-09-2012 08:14 PM

Good to know, I just ordered mine...pheww...

turdferguson 01-09-2012 08:17 PM

If you have the stock wheels I'm guessing that the draglink rod end on the knuckle is binding inside the wheel. Mine did and I had to play with it until it fit inside the wheel.

07trd4x4 01-09-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanfor88 (Post 3495696)
I dont think they are ever in the center. None of my RC`s are ever in the center no matter what.When i got my VP i did end up taking them back off a few times to center everything. It still doesnt look center when you look at them but it tracks straight with very little steering trim, so it`s all good for me :mrgreen:

Good to know thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by turdferguson (Post 3495766)
If you have the stock wheels I'm guessing that the draglink rod end on the knuckle is binding inside the wheel. Mine did and I had to play with it until it fit inside the wheel.

I will have to try it tomorrow. Thx!!

MaxxPain 01-10-2012 10:58 PM

I ordered there kit and had a huge toe in problem. So I called VP and they sent me a new Tie Rod. Said something like I must of got there archerman tie rod by mistake. So I installed the new tie rod and its allot better, but I still see some toe in. I also noticed the rim rubbing on the drag link rod end so I lightly trimmed the rod end with the Dremel, just a tad and it fixed it. But I still wonder if I got something wrong as I dont think VP would require you do this. I also tried rotating my C-Hubs one notch forward and that didnt help. So I may call VP again and ask.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6329/img3378g.jpg

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/5274/img3473n.jpg

07trd4x4 01-10-2012 11:20 PM

Mine isn't that bad. Man that is way off.

07trd4x4 01-10-2012 11:21 PM

Hear I thought I was the only one with this problem. Thanks all for advice.

transambill 01-11-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxxPain (Post 3498386)
I ordered there kit and had a huge toe in problem. So I called VP and they sent me a new Tie Rod. Said something like I must of got there archerman tie rod by mistake. So I installed the new tie rod and its allot better, but I still see some toe in. I also noticed the rim rubbing on the drag link rod end so I lightly trimmed the rod end with the Dremel, just a tad and it fixed it. But I still wonder if I got something wrong as I dont think VP would require you do this. I also tried rotating my C-Hubs one notch forward and that didnt help. So I may call VP again and ask.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6329/img3378g.jpg

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/5274/img3473n.jpg

Try running thicker Traxxas hex's in the front, that will give you enough clearance where it's rubbing the inner wheel.

With the wheels not pointing strait, try running the stock ackerman arms or add a small spacer on the tie rod, drivers side end, between the rod end and tie rod itself.

07trd4x4 01-11-2012 11:24 AM

Looking at mine this morning after reading this comments. Sorry about the cell picture hope you all can see

http://img.tapatalk.com/453e9db3-d3b6-db32.jpg

And when I adjust the rod it starts to bow inn

MaxxPain 01-11-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by transambill (Post 3498830)
Try running thicker Traxxas hex's in the front, that will give you enough clearance where it's rubbing the inner wheel.

With the wheels not pointing strait, try running the stock ackerman arms or add a small spacer on the tie rod, drivers side end, between the rod end and tie rod itself.

Ahh I didnt even think about the stock arms. Good idea. Thanks. I will try that. I got the tie rod issue pretty much fixed. The picture was before I did a Nip/Tuck.. I left a message with VP. While at VP's site I was looking at there tie rod picture and I see there C-Hubs are clocked all the way forward and it looks like there's some toe it too..

http://site.vanquishproducts.com/vp-...16_tie_rod.png

transambill 01-12-2012 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxxPain (Post 3499630)
Ahh I didnt even think about the stock arms. Good idea. Thanks. I will try that. I got the tie rod issue pretty much fixed. The picture was before I did a Nip/Tuck.. I left a message with VP. While at VP's site I was looking at there tie rod picture and I see there C-Hubs are clocked all the way forward and it looks like there's some toe it too..

Back when I built my kit I built my own steering links. I copied the stock plastic ones exactly outta all thred and brake line. Running the Vanquish knuckles and chubs I had the same problem with the red arms. Wheel rubbing the ends, wheels not pointing strait.
Put the stock arms on and swapped the hex's for some Traxxas ones that are 1/8" thicker, problem solved."thumbsup"
My c hubs are not clocked either way but in the center.

turdferguson 01-12-2012 09:59 AM

I just emailed VP through their tie rod problem thread and it looks like the knuckle arms on my vp knucks may be the problem I have a new set on the way. I'll post up when I get them and let you guys know if it fixes the issue without any modification.

07trd4x4 01-12-2012 04:28 PM

Thanks!!!!