Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Help with drag link and tie rod.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #1

Default Help with drag link and tie rod.

So I got these from VP couple weeks ago and having issues with the alignment. I can get it to go straight and it seems like the front tires are off caster(think that is the word. The driver wheel looks like it is tilted inward). I thought I measured right and it still wants to pull to the left. What am I doing wrong. Any advice!?! Help?!?

Thx in advance.

07trd4x4
07trd4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Help with drag link and tie rod.

add a spacer on one or both sides of the drag link to center it.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Make sure both of you c hubs are aligned the same. Did you set your trim on your tx?
jthellfire911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
add a spacer on one or both sides of the drag link to center it.
You lost me, What kind?
Old 01-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthellfire911 View Post
Make sure both of you c hubs are aligned the same. Did you set your trim on your tx?
Yeah c hubs are aligned.

Yeah I set my trim to the middle and it goes. I have to turn it all the way clock almost clockwise to get it to go straight
Old 01-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07trd4x4 View Post
So I got these from VP couple weeks ago and having issues with the alignment. I can get it to go straight and it seems like the front tires are off caster(think that is the word. The driver wheel looks like it is tilted inward). I thought I measured right and it still wants to pull to the left. What am I doing wrong. Any advice!?! Help?!?

Thx in advance.

07trd4x4

This may or may not be of help. When I first got my VP tie rod and drag link installed I could not get it to track straight. I am new to RC and the Radio did not come with any instructions. I did not know there was a steering trim knob on the radio. But once I discovered it, labled ST-Trim under the flip up cover, I was able to center the steering and servo horn at will.
Land Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Crab View Post
This may or may not be of help. When I first got my VP tie rod and drag link installed I could not get it to track straight. I am new to RC and the Radio did not come with any instructions. I did not know there was a steering trim knob on the radio. But once I discovered it, labled ST-Trim under the flip up cover, I was able to center the steering and servo horn at will.
I am new too.
Thanks for the input
I did figure that out and it is annoying ( I am OCD) that the trim is not in the center. Completely clockwise. ;)

Last edited by 07trd4x4; 01-09-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07trd4x4 View Post
I am new too.
Thanks for the input
I did figure that out and it is annoying ( I am OCD) that the trim is not in the center. Completely clockwise. ;)
I dont think they are ever in the center. None of my RC`s are ever in the center no matter what.When i got my VP i did end up taking them back off a few times to center everything. It still doesnt look center when you look at them but it tracks straight with very little steering trim, so it`s all good for me
Fanfor88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Good to know, I just ordered mine...pheww...
JUGGARNAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #10

If you have the stock wheels I'm guessing that the draglink rod end on the knuckle is binding inside the wheel. Mine did and I had to play with it until it fit inside the wheel.
turdferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanfor88 View Post
I dont think they are ever in the center. None of my RC`s are ever in the center no matter what.When i got my VP i did end up taking them back off a few times to center everything. It still doesnt look center when you look at them but it tracks straight with very little steering trim, so it`s all good for me
Good to know thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdferguson View Post
If you have the stock wheels I'm guessing that the draglink rod end on the knuckle is binding inside the wheel. Mine did and I had to play with it until it fit inside the wheel.
I will have to try it tomorrow. Thx!!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I ordered there kit and had a huge toe in problem. So I called VP and they sent me a new Tie Rod. Said something like I must of got there archerman tie rod by mistake. So I installed the new tie rod and its allot better, but I still see some toe in. I also noticed the rim rubbing on the drag link rod end so I lightly trimmed the rod end with the Dremel, just a tad and it fixed it. But I still wonder if I got something wrong as I dont think VP would require you do this. I also tried rotating my C-Hubs one notch forward and that didnt help. So I may call VP again and ask.

MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #13

Mine isn't that bad. Man that is way off.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #14

Hear I thought I was the only one with this problem. Thanks all for advice.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPain View Post
I ordered there kit and had a huge toe in problem. So I called VP and they sent me a new Tie Rod. Said something like I must of got there archerman tie rod by mistake. So I installed the new tie rod and its allot better, but I still see some toe in. I also noticed the rim rubbing on the drag link rod end so I lightly trimmed the rod end with the Dremel, just a tad and it fixed it. But I still wonder if I got something wrong as I dont think VP would require you do this. I also tried rotating my C-Hubs one notch forward and that didnt help. So I may call VP again and ask.

Try running thicker Traxxas hex's in the front, that will give you enough clearance where it's rubbing the inner wheel.

With the wheels not pointing strait, try running the stock ackerman arms or add a small spacer on the tie rod, drivers side end, between the rod end and tie rod itself.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #16

Looking at mine this morning after reading this comments. Sorry about the cell picture hope you all can see

And when I adjust the rod it starts to bow inn
Old 01-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by transambill View Post
Try running thicker Traxxas hex's in the front, that will give you enough clearance where it's rubbing the inner wheel.

With the wheels not pointing strait, try running the stock ackerman arms or add a small spacer on the tie rod, drivers side end, between the rod end and tie rod itself.

Ahh I didnt even think about the stock arms. Good idea. Thanks. I will try that. I got the tie rod issue pretty much fixed. The picture was before I did a Nip/Tuck.. I left a message with VP. While at VP's site I was looking at there tie rod picture and I see there C-Hubs are clocked all the way forward and it looks like there's some toe it too..

MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:13 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPain View Post
Ahh I didnt even think about the stock arms. Good idea. Thanks. I will try that. I got the tie rod issue pretty much fixed. The picture was before I did a Nip/Tuck.. I left a message with VP. While at VP's site I was looking at there tie rod picture and I see there C-Hubs are clocked all the way forward and it looks like there's some toe it too..
Back when I built my kit I built my own steering links. I copied the stock plastic ones exactly outta all thred and brake line. Running the Vanquish knuckles and chubs I had the same problem with the red arms. Wheel rubbing the ends, wheels not pointing strait.
Put the stock arms on and swapped the hex's for some Traxxas ones that are 1/8" thicker, problem solved.
My c hubs are not clocked either way but in the center.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #19

I just emailed VP through their tie rod problem thread and it looks like the knuckle arms on my vp knucks may be the problem I have a new set on the way. I'll post up when I get them and let you guys know if it fixes the issue without any modification.
turdferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #20

Thanks!!!!

Help with drag link and tie rod. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new vanquish tie rod and drag link bighemitex Axial Wraith 21 10-23-2011 05:56 PM
HELP on Vanquish Tie Rod & Drag Link Jordan714 Axial Wraith 4 09-06-2011 07:45 PM
Double drag link no tie rod? day215 General Crawlers 10 07-02-2011 09:11 PM
KK high clearance tie-rod vs. CKRC OTA tie-rod vs. ?? BigB_117 EnRoute Berg 64 07-06-2009 11:20 PM
Tie Rod/Drag Link Setup? Hyperlite33 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 06-24-2008 03:58 PM