Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Fast Forward, Faster Reverse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #1

Default Fast Forward, Faster Reverse

Ok, I have a Wraith RTR. I just recently installed a Tekin 13.5 Redline and a CC MMP. Everything works as normal but...reverse is much faster than forward. Even the motor sounds different in reverse. I have swapped wires from the ESC to the motor, I have changed settings in the ESC programming. I get no change. I also have done a lot of reading on this subject and get answers that I already know. Is there anything else that I can check, or do to make it go faster in forward. Any help is much appreciated.

I am using a 2s 5300mah hard case venom battery.
dAng! XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I have the same issue with my Novac 3s Goat system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAng! XJ View Post
Ok, I have a Wraith RTR. I just recently installed a Tekin 13.5 Redline and a CC MMP. Everything works as normal but...reverse is much faster than forward. Even the motor sounds different in reverse. I have swapped wires from the ESC to the motor, I have changed settings in the ESC programming. I get no change. I also have done a lot of reading on this subject and get answers that I already know. Is there anything else that I can check, or do to make it go faster in forward. Any help is much appreciated.

luv2ridemx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Could it have something to do with the inherent reverse rotation of the wraith drivetrain? Did u have to flip your throttle switch on your transmitter?

Maybe?? Lol I dunno.....
Soulo747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAng! XJ View Post

I had the same issue with mine and Im running the same motor/esc combo.I swapped the ring gears around in the axles and now have more throttle in forward than reverse.Hope this helps!
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #5

I thought about that. I think that is what I'm gonna do. Also cause I think im gonna go with the ARB covers from RC4WD.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
I had the same issue with mine and Im running the same motor/esc combo.I swapped the ring gears around in the axles and now have more throttle in forward than reverse.Hope this helps!
Ah so it DOES have to do with the reverse rotation! Sweet. I'm rarely right about these things.
Soulo747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I don't know much about that motor but I would check the timing setting it at 0 should even out foward/reverse speed issue cause even when you change the input voltage to swap rotation the motor was still built to run faster in one direction with timing hope this helps (and is correct)

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk
redneck crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:40 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

When applying forward throttle your motor should spin counter clockwise as viewed from the front looking at pinion. If it does not, its spinning backwards and you'll have to flip your ring gears in the axles.
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck crawler View Post
I don't know much about that motor but I would check the timing setting it at 0 should even out foward/reverse speed issue cause even when you change the input voltage to swap rotation the motor was still built to run faster in one direction with timing hope this helps (and is correct)

x2 check the timing of the motor. That is much easier than flipping everything around.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck crawler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkawi650 View Post
When applying forward throttle your motor should spin counter clockwise as viewed from the front looking at pinion. If it does not, its spinning backwards and you'll have to flip your ring gears in the axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craddock35 View Post
x2 check the timing of the motor. That is much easier than flipping everything around.
Your basically running the motor in revers from what it is set up to do. You need to rotate it 180* then add about 6* or so of advance. Some motors don't like running this way and it can shorten the motors life. To be honest flipping the diffs in the axles is pretty straight forward and only takes about 15-20 minutes. Especially if your not familiar with changes to the motor.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:15 AM   #11

Ok guys, I just flipped the diffs and everything is perfect now. Just wanted to keep you updated. Thanks for all the help and I hope this helps others!!!
Old 12-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #12

Default Re: Fast Forward, Faster Reverse

I had the issue where the my Wraith was going faster backwards than forwards...I had the ESC set up so that backwards was supposed to be a little slower than forwards, so I swapped the diffs around and it seems to be faster forward than back, but...
it seemed like it wasn't going as fast as when the diffs were the other way around. ie it seemed like the fast backward speed from before was faster than the fast forward speed now...not sure if I'm going crazy and just imagining it.
Here's a vid of it...can anyone with a HH 21t setup confirm that it looks like it's sounding/running the same as theirs or if it seems a little slow? Hopefully not too hard to tell from the vid:

wraith.mp4 - YouTube
ngaanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

The new Novak brushless speed control system built for the Wraith comes with a reverse rotation motor because of the reverse drivetrain of the Wraith. You are not alone! Not sure why they went to the trouble, flipping the diffs does the same thing.
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
The new Novak brushless speed control system built for the Wraith comes with a reverse rotation motor because of the reverse drivetrain of the Wraith. You are not alone! Not sure why they went to the trouble, flipping the diffs does the same thing.
Maybe the reverse diffs does something for torque twist.. Just guessing..
Whatever the reason, I flipped mine the right way so I can run all standard motors.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Can you explain flipping the diffs? What exactly needs to be done?
Beej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beej View Post
Can you explain flipping the diffs? What exactly needs to be done?
Also interested. Im assuming flipping the gears inside the diff housing and not just flipping the axle itself. Although it seems flipping the axle would do the same thing pending everything bolts up
couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I had the same problem with my Wraith with a Tekin pro 4 3300kv and mmp esc. I did not notice it until in went to install the VP diff. covers and the logo was upside down so i switched the ring gears and took it for a test run and it was like 20% less forward speed than reverse so i switched the ring gears back the way the manual said in the first place and run the VP diff covers with the logo upside down.
Quartermaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I finally got my electronics all wired up, thought the rtr diffs were the correct rotation! so thats the way i built them! Guess i need to flip them to match the manuel???
With my mmp/13.5t ballistic a,b &c matching and speed control set to normal same as when i ripped it out of my scx, its running backwards. Swap it on the controller and its slower in forward.

Gotta fix it!, dam this is a fun rig to drive from what i just experienced
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote