Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Long travel shocks f/r?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #1

Default Long travel shocks f/r?

Hey guys, I'm lookin to replace the stock shocks on my wraith. Rebuilt one of them, it's a pain, still didn't fix the leakyness. Lookin for all aluminum or better. It's gonna be mainly a crawler. Let's see some pics on all your rigs and some feedback on what y'all are runnin.
xLPlushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Long travel shocks f/r?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLPlushy View Post
Hey guys, I'm lookin to replace the stock shocks on my wraith. Rebuilt one of them, it's a pain, still didn't fix the leakyness. Lookin for all aluminum or better. It's gonna be mainly a crawler. Let's see some pics on all your rigs and some feedback on what y'all are runnin.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...e-archive.html
here is a crap load of pics
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I converted mine to longer shocks in the rear with raised towers. Amazing travel, and still sits like a stock Wraith with the collars all the way up when just sitting. I used Wheely King shocks that are plastic though. But for going Crawler, you are on the right track! It was a night and day improvement! I would not bolt longer shocks in the stock positions though. Pics in my Sig. link.
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #4

Thanks Guys

NFA Fab I like the setup you have, I was thinking about unbolting the shocks and skid plate from the rest of the tube chassis and building a custom rig out of either 1/4" .050 or .075 wall tubing or 1/4" round stock and having somebody machine custom shock mounts so that I can have lots of vertical and lateral(front-back) adjustment possibilities which would allow me to run a huge variety of different shocks. I was reading thru the tools and procedures section and saw some of the cool custom setups that a few guys are runnin. I wanna make it crawl better than an AX10.

Also how are those 2.2 RC4WD boggers?
Old 01-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLPlushy View Post
Thanks Guys

NFA Fab I like the setup you have, I was thinking about unbolting the shocks and skid plate from the rest of the tube chassis and building a custom rig out of either 1/4" .050 or .075 wall tubing or 1/4" round stock and having somebody machine custom shock mounts so that I can have lots of vertical and lateral(front-back) adjustment possibilities which would allow me to run a huge variety of different shocks. I was reading thru the tools and procedures section and saw some of the cool custom setups that a few guys are runnin. I wanna make it crawl better than an AX10.

Also how are those 2.2 RC4WD boggers?
They are much better than stock, and a taller diameter, but I wish the compound was a hair softer. I am very much exited about the look of the Boggers (I have had a few 1:1's on them, and am a huge fan of the look), and that has made it worth the purchase, but I wouldn't use them in competition.

The Wraith is not going to be AX10-capable without a lot of work. I don't even intend on trying to make it so. I still have work to do, but am trying to keep realistic. The Wraith was just never intended to be a crawler. If you don't mind cutting up the cage, you will open a world of possibilities! I am just trying to work with the stock framework.
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:42 AM   #6

I have the Pro line Scaler Shocks 90-95mm part # 6060 ....Will these work on the wraith or do i need longer?
AKproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #7

AX10's are amazing crawlers so that's gonna be a tough goal to reach. I have a very creative side to me and having finally got me easy access to a welder I'm ready to start creating, just gotta figure out how to drill 1/8" holes thru the center of 3/16" round stock yet and then I'm set!
Old 01-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #8

Was just lookin at rpp, hows the Hot Racing HA 123mm double spring shocks, or the RC4WD X10 101mm Piggyback shocks sound? Anybody ever run either of these shocks on their rigs?
Old 01-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I am running the proline rear Slash shocks at all 4 corners, soft springs. Also I have the level3 lowering kit, works great but the shocks are the same length as Wraith's. I just purchased 124mm Gmade shocks and need to put them together and try. I too am looking to get the best bashing stance with nice ride height sag but drop out travel to crawl. You should be able to get a good combo once the travel is figured out and ride height pre-load and then play with the shock oil weight to control the body roll at speeds. Again all thoughts on what I am playing with so I am not an export on these RC crawlers, just putting 1:1 ideas into the RC scale.
NCT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:42 AM   #10

Thanks NCT. Let me know how those 124mm GMade shocks work out. I'm lookin to get about the same ride height as a stock wraith RTR at no preload with more drop out travel for crawling. Just bought a set of axial 14x70mm 1.75lb/in springs to soften it up from the 2.04lb/in stock RTR springs. Gonna go test them out later this week after I get my new wheels painted up and 2.2 PL Swamper TSL SX's mounted on them. Any advice on gettin them nice and soft without cutting too much of the memory foam away?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

The softer springs will help alot but the lower stance than factory will be better, I ran little comp travel at ride height with light springs on the stock shocks and had good luck but I wanted more so I changed it to the ProLines and ready to test my next idea with the GMades. You going the right direction to find that personal sweet spot.

Can't help on the tires, I am waiting on my Mayhams to show up and have some TSLs waiting to be installed and will also be looking for the hot foam set up like you. Sorry
NCT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #12

Bought the wheels/tires second hand off here, So far I cut the foams down a little bit, don't wanna take too much. The tires alone seem just like the 2.2 Pit Bulls in terms of compounds, so I think its a matter of getting the foams cut right. Hopefully gonna start testing tonight with a jerry-rigged lower link mount since my M3x20 screw decided it didn't want to be in the truck last night for our trail run. Note to anyone- avoid the HR ladder bars, they look awesome and are rock solid but the metal ball is held into the bar with a brass retainer ring and these rings vibrate out of the bar (its just a design flaw, they're awesome looking and rock solid and a perfect fit)(and yes I loc-tited the snot outta that retainer ring-stil came out), thus giving play in the suspension, and if you lose that M3x20 mounting screw out of the skid plate then you lose the ball and retainer ring like I did. Now I gonna get a different set of links.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #13

how about integy 128mm rock crawler shocks?
Old 02-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #14

Any more opinions?

Tapatalked via iPhone
Old 02-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #15

Well I just finished building a set of factory Axial 72-103mm shocks, what a pain in the neck. After that experience I want assembled shocks, I'm suddenly against me having to build them, they're a lot worse than the go-kart, atv, and snowmobile shocks that I'm used to rebuilding. any thoughts on the integy type 2 126mm shocks from tower?
Old 05-24-2012, 04:35 AM   #16

I would suggest gmade zero. They are unbelievable. The flex on mine couldn't be any better or smoother.
welbuilt27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #17
RCC Addict

i have the integy 128mm shocks on mine. i took them apart and made it so they had the same trave as stock and put shorter springs on them as well. i love how mine sits and it has more than enough flex.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Anyone care to post pics of shock setup. especially i want to see gmade 0 shocks.
MiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I would highly recommend Traxxas Big Bores. All aluminum and they are super smooth and don't leak.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #20
Gold Star Baby!

I am running the XL Big Bores with Mini-T Springs with the cap mod. They are 4inches on the dot, However without the cap mod the XL's are only 3 1/2in long. I really like the Big Bores.... Buttery smooth and I get a lot more flex V.S my Power Stroke Shocks I had, They were 3 1/2in. and they weren't buttery smooth like the Big Bores are.

If you want a 4in shock the XXL Big Bores are good as are the Losi Shocks. Both are 4in shocks and work awesome.
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks, wraith

Long travel shocks f/r? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX Long-Travel Defender build........ ridepate Axial SCX-10 38 07-01-2012 12:33 AM
long travel shocks xiteamxi General Crawlers 21 11-04-2011 01:27 PM
Pre-Runner/long travel Suspension losikid Chit Chat 2 08-23-2011 12:00 AM
anyone with long travel 10 scale chromoly77 Non Crawler RC's 0 10-05-2010 12:15 PM
Long travel shock options Bishbosh Large Scale Rigs 6 09-23-2010 10:17 PM