Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #1

Default Wraith Problems

First of all, I'm new to the hobby style rc's. What I'm looking to find out, is it normal for the wraith to basically fall apart out of the box?

Christmas day (half battery use in the house)
Set screw fell out of the spur gear (chewed up the 80 tooth gear) borrowed a gear "fixed"

Wed: Lost steering knuckle screw (Half battery used) fixed next day at local hobby store. Also found link mount nut missing.

Thurs, Fri. No problems used a full Lipo battery.

Sat: 1 battery used. Stripped servo!!!

This is with a 7 year old at the controls with adult supervision.

Is this normal? I thought my son could at least enjoy it alittle while before we needed to start upgrading it.

Last edited by 1fast67; 12-30-2012 at 06:42 AM.
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Wraith Problems

Well, there have been some problems with loose screws with the wraith. So it's not uncommon. Running the wraith in the house is not a good idea either, the carpet has so much grip, makes it really hard on rigs. But the good thing about hobby grade cars are that you can fix it and not have to throw it away! Get in touch with Axial, they have really good customer service. They may replace any parts that have failed.

Last edited by hatefulboy; 12-30-2012 at 07:21 AM.
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #3

He only run it in the house for 20 minutes before the pinion gear set screw fell out. (It was flooding rain all day).
I called axial Thursday, stayed on hold for 30min. Left message, still haven't received a call from them.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

It is a good idea to check/tighten all the fasteners on it right out of the box. I am currently putting a kit together and I see why they put them in haphazardly... there are so many and someone has to put them all in so I figure they just run them in not to tight so they dont chance stripping parts. I assume they are using powered drivers to install them. I went with a kit vs. the RTR due to the fact the kit has many upgrades that come with it and I get to choose my own ESC & motor. I also bought a stainless steel fastener kit for it. The RTR uses a servo that I believe is all plastic. If you were to bind the front wheels and turn it either the horn or shaft on the servo is gonna strip. Didn't it have a servo saver on it? I thought they came on them. Another trouble spot on the RTR is the front axles. The pin falls out from what I have read here. Apparently it happens at full turn it can work it's way out. There are other options for that fix. It seems the RTR does need some upgrades to make it somewhat 'bullet proof'. Just figure when something breaks, just replace it with an improved version.
LuvMyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #5

I wish "Santa" would have brought the kit, but this is our first so we asked for a rtr. The servo is plastic.
Just thought he'd get more use out of it before upgrading. I have worked on it almost everyday since it came out of the box.
I have ca glued all the screws.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention to use LockTight BLUE on the threads. Even the kit comes with some.
The RTR is a good way to go if you don't want to lay out $600 - $1000 to build one proper. You spend the same, but over more time.
If your buying a new servo be sure to get a one with at least 300 oz. of power. The Wraith needs it.

Last edited by LuvMyTJ; 12-30-2012 at 09:51 AM.
LuvMyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyTJ View Post
Oh yeah... I forgot to mention to use LockTight BLUE on the threads. Even the kit comes with some.
The RTR is a good way to go if you don't want to lay out $600 - $1000 to build one proper. You spend the same, but over more time.
If your buying a new servo be sure to get a one with at least 300 oz. of power. The Wraith needs it.
What servo do recommend?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast67 View Post
What servo do recommend?
I have been using the Hitec HS-7954SH. The HS-7950TH and HS-7955TG are also really popular choices but cost more $$$$$$.

With any of the high torque servos you will want to add a BEC to power the servo.

k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Replace all the selftapping screws on the chubs,knuckles and lockouts with 3mm fine thread screws. They stay in better like that. I will also recommend a Hitec 7954sh, they are very strong and can be had for $80. I would put a servo saver on it if your 7 yr old is going to drive it, kimbourgh makes a good heavy duty one that works well. The Wraith is a good truck once you get it dialed in but can also cause some heartache and wallet thinning, drive it and have fun. Oh- I used email with axial for warranty and had no problems, remember that they are busy this time of year too.
Dualdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #10

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help. I'm new to this and just want to spend my money wisely. My son loves it, so I guess I'm stuck with it. lol

Now off to do some shopping..
Old 01-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #11

Ready to order.. Can someone tell me more about this BEC? And which one I need for the Hitec 7954sh.

Thanks
Thomas

Also looking for suggestions on websites to buy the servo/servo saver and new steering linkage.
Also on the list is a new gear.

Last edited by 1fast67; 01-01-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast67 View Post
Ready to order.. Can someone tell me more about this BEC? And which one I need for the Hitec 7954sh.

Thanks
Thomas

Also looking for suggestions on websites to buy the servo/servo saver and new steering linkage.
Also on the list is a new gear.

In for more info on this as well
emartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #13

Try RPP Hobby | Radio Controlled Cars, Trucks, Boats, Helis, Planes, Plastic Models great service there. Bec will give a constant amount of voltage to the servo, they run around 20$ but they do make a difference.
lostwages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #14

Is this the BEC I need? Castle Creations BEC 10A Switching Regulator
Old 01-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

savox also makes good servos, been runnin one on my rig for over a year crawling all over donner pass. they have one with about 500oz of torqe for 75 bucks.If you have been working on it everyday, welcome to the hobby, try to read alot of info, there is plenty out there. dont buy anything with out researching it. and most of all have fun.... there just toys. upgrading is the fun part.
trig n tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Looks like your son has a new mechanic, hey at least you don't have a fleet yet

That little bit of carpet running is one of the worst things one can do. As was said, at least the rig can be fixed and not thrown away like a wally world special.

The castle bec you linked is one of the best that can be bought, second only to the castle 20amp version.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #17

Sorry for the potential hijack but if your not going to exceed a servos max voltage of let's say 7.4V then do you need a bec? Thanks.
emartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

The castle bec offers both adjustable voltage and more than double the amperage of any internal bec.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #19

I guess what i want to know about the BEC, is what does it do for me? Why will I need it with a 300oz or more servo? Also, what steering linkage do you guys recommend? Wanting to make one order if possible.

Things I want to order now.

-Servo and a BEC if needed
-Servo saver (so I'm told)
-Steering linkage (figure I'll need it with the new servo)
-lower gears to slow it down alittle.
-battery tray for front

Big 1 to 1 rock buggy's are what I know, not rc's , so any help is appreciated...

Thomas
Old 01-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig n tahoe View Post
savox also makes good servos, been runnin one on my rig for over a year crawling all over donner pass. they have one with about 500oz of torqe for 75 bucks.If you have been working on it everyday, welcome to the hobby, try to read alot of info, there is plenty out there. dont buy anything with out researching it. and most of all have fun.... there just toys. upgrading is the fun part.
Which one are you running or recommend?

Wraith Problems - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith problems.. HELP!** Trentenowns Axial Wraith 10 12-17-2012 09:42 PM
problems with wraith please help kauai808 Axial Wraith 5 09-10-2012 06:27 PM
Wraith problems joel810 Axial Wraith 3 06-12-2012 05:30 AM
problems with new wraith hunterk Axial Wraith 9 03-01-2012 11:42 AM
wraith problems popeye123 Axial Wraith 13 01-13-2012 01:18 PM