Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Problems with Castle BEC on Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #1

Question Problems with Castle BEC on Wraith

Ok So I am not new to the crawler scene but I am not an expert when it comes to electrical stuff. I am running a venom 5000mah 2s lipo which has made the Wraith a little more than stock fast (budget build). I recently purchased some new rims (proline eight shooters with metal rings) and Pitt bull 2.2 rock beast tires. Then I purchased a Castle BEC before crawling with the new upgrades. I also added a little weight to the front (not much)
I had a friend wire the BEC in for me (He had no problems installing his) because he had the tools on hand that day to do so.
We went out and hit the rocks and my run time went from 2 1/2 to 3 hours of play to 45mins. On top of that the thing is slower than ever. I removed the new rims and tires (because of weight) and the added weight to the front. The thing is still slow. Any ideas what I might have done?
TW31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Problems with Castle BEC on Wraith

Installed correctly, you should have no considerable run time/performance change. I have the castle 10A BEC in my Wraith (And several other rigs), and have not had any issues like yours. How much weight did you add to your tires?
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:25 AM   #3

Just the metal rings that came with the rims and a couple of metal pieces (not sure of the actual weight. probably a little more than the battery) but like I said I removed all of the weight and it didnt help at all. One other thing I didnt mention was that my wife pulled the plug on my lipo during charging before it was done. Could this have damaged it?
Old 01-31-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW31 View Post
One other thing I didnt mention was that my wife pulled the plug on my lipo during charging before it was done. Could this have damaged it?
That shouldn't damage it, but it could explain the reduced run time.
aeiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

It sounds like you might have an issue with your charger or battery. When using an external BEC and lipo, it is very important to unplug the lipo when not in use. The BEC will drain your lipo down completely if given enough time.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
It sounds like you might have an issue with your charger or battery. When using an external BEC and lipo, it is very important to unplug the lipo when not in use. The BEC will drain your lipo down completely if given enough time.
Yeah I have actually heard this and I have been making sure it is unpluged.

Also could there be a problem with the BEC not being programmed?
A friend told me that you have to go in and actually program it to 10amp. Not sure about this
Old 01-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

you don't program them for amp output, you program them for volt output. they come set at 5.1 volts. you can up the voltage. how exactly is your bec wired in? does the bec plug into the reciever, or is it ran straight to the servo? if it's plugged into the reciever (wired like the instructions included with the bec) you have to remove the red wire from the esc to the reciever. if you didn't remove this wire you are supplying voltage to the reciever from two sources and this usually fries the internal bec inside the esc.

also i noticed on my wraith that when i reprogrammed the bec once that i had to recalibrate the radio to the esc.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #8

Yeah its wired like the instructions show. The red wire was removed. He may have said voltage. Again I am just not sure when it comes to electrical wiring which is why I had my friend do this. It ran normal until we hit the rocks and then it was like someone zapped the power down. I almost thought the slipper clutch had been worn out thats how much power has been lost.

Last edited by TW31; 01-31-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 01-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

charge another pack, make sure it is a full charge and try it again
OfnaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Problems with Castle BEC on Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Castle Sidewinder / BEC Problems (??) 2Dogs Electronics 24 07-17-2010 01:24 PM
Castle Creations BEC problems Rogue Electronics 5 02-11-2008 04:16 PM
Castle BEC & Castle Link - not finding BEC Locked Up Electronics 22 12-20-2007 03:37 PM