Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Did me esc fry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #1

Default Did me esc fry?

My wraith has been acting up lately. Things like going from forward to reverse and it coasts until you let off the trigger and reapply. Other times when I first turn it on and pull the trigger it would lurch forward and quit, then I would have to turn both the truck and the control off to get it to work. Now last night i turned it on and the lights on the truck were flickering fast, then they went out, so I turned off and on and still nothing. I tried a different battery with same results, nothing. I have been playing in the snow alot lately so I thought maybe something got wet, I pulled the rx box apart and everything appears dry. Any ideas on what is going on. ESC, or the power switch, ????

Thanks
Bryan
derbinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #2

Red face Re: Did me esc fry?

I just reread my subject line. Nice!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Did me esc fry?

Similar problems. Driving fine, then coasts and beeps continuously. No response to throttle or steering unless powered off (ESC switch or battery plug). Works again for a bit, then the same thing regardless of battery. Electrics stock with exception of HiTec servo (7954). Real bummer. I've ordered a BEC to try wiring the receiver and servo separate from the ESC. My theory right now is the ESC integrated BEC is becoming overwhelmed and buggering things up.

Have no clue if this is the problem or not, but it is the lowest cost start. The Holmes Hobbies ESC and motor I would swap out to try are out of stock.
willeh_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Willeh I had the same problem, put a bec on it and it fixed my problem. I wired the esc the way it was shown in the instructions. (castle BEC)
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatefulboy View Post
Willeh I had the same problem, put a bec on it and it fixed my problem. I wired the esc the way it was shown in the instructions. (castle BEC)

Awesome news, thanks for the info!

I'm picking up the parts on Saturday. Will report my findings. Sorry if I hijacked your thread derbinator.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

sounds like your esc is in lipo cut off mode.
OntarioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by willeh_ca View Post
Similar problems. Driving fine, then coasts and beeps continuously. No response to throttle or steering unless powered off (ESC switch or battery plug). Works again for a bit, then the same thing regardless of battery. Electrics stock with exception of HiTec servo (7954). Real bummer. I've ordered a BEC to try wiring the receiver and servo separate from the ESC. My theory right now is the ESC integrated BEC is becoming overwhelmed and buggering things up.

Have no clue if this is the problem or not, but it is the lowest cost start. The Holmes Hobbies ESC and motor I would swap out to try are out of stock.
I had these same issues but now it won't power up at all.

I am using nimh batteries so not sure if my esc would go into lipo cut off mode, if this is a real mode, or how to fix it.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbinator View Post
I had these same issues but now it won't power up at all.

I am using nimh batteries so not sure if my esc would go into lipo cut off mode, if this is a real mode, or how to fix it.
I'm using nimih's too and much earlier mine was hitting the Lipo cut-off and it would either stutter, turn only, or go straight. I bought the Castle link programming kit and turned that off and it was all good.

I installed the HiTec servo around the same time and it ran fine and then would just quit as described in the earlier post.

I think if you follow the directions here you can turn off the Lipo Cutoff manually without the Castle link. Providing the ESC still powers up.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #9

Ya that would be the problem, it won't power up. Is there a chance it as simple as the on-off switch? Can I send the esc in to have repaired?
Old 02-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Installed the BEC and changed the battery plugs to Deans... No love, still drives fine and then all of a sudden non responsive & beeping. What are the odds that the Receiver is the problem vs the ESC? Also a stupid question, but would any other radio signals interfere with it? Ie Cordless phone or wifi?
Old 02-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbinator View Post
Ya that would be the problem, it won't power up. Is there a chance it as simple as the on-off switch? Can I send the esc in to have repaired?

Sounds like it is cooked. Everyone seems to say that the Axial customer service is great, maybe try giving them a call and seeing if they warranty it.

I bought mine second hand so I'm kinda on my own.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I'm having the same problems. Did you come up with a solution? I'm thinking it is the esc, but not sure.
powercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #13

hey my receiver did the same thing, i changed the esc thinking that was the issue and then come to find out it was the rec, anyway a good way to know if it is a rec issue is if you have any steering
sharpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #14

Mine will act like it's out of range sometimes when I've used others at the same or greater range. It also is cranky at first power on sometimes and will only respond to steering inputs but not throttle. I'm wondering what the deal is...
Darky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Are you using LiPo? Mine was cured by using a BEC too.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Mine was was working then the steering went to right turn and stayed, then started working again , then forward and reverce quit , finally changed the TX & RX everything is good again . I contacted AXIAL and I`m getting ready to send mine in ,I`ll see how long that takes . If you call the number in the manual they will give you the 800 # for the new company that is handling there warranty stuff . If i remember it tomarrow I`ll post it .
Hards1.6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did me esc fry? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did I fry my rx or ??? scoobydann Electronics 12 08-08-2010 03:19 PM
Did I just fry my LNC ESC? shelljeep Newbie General 24 02-09-2010 10:46 PM
Will a 3s lipo fry my xl-5 esc? jbrentd Non Crawler RC's 4 08-20-2008 12:51 PM
Did I fry it mudboger07 Newbie General 5 02-05-2008 07:54 AM
Please help, I don't want to fry anything... WRMorrison Electronics 18 12-31-2004 05:50 PM