Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: some questoins about the wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #1

Default some questoins about the wraith

hey guys im not new to rc but i want to get into crawling. is the wraith a good starting crawler? is it durable? thanks in advance
rccrawler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #2

Default Re: some questoins about the wraith

I'd like to know the same. It looks really wide compared to an ax10, and my ax10 seemed pretty stable to me. Are the wider axles as strong? Its set up for more of an all-around truck, right, compared to a more dedicated crawler like an ax10? thanks.
Skysthelimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

IMO and from axial....it's a rock racer, but can also be a good crawler
dkchance74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

For the same price a Losi Night Crawler will blow it's doors off right out of the box. IMO Wraith is too long and wide to be a serious crawler. The Wraith is more of a cross-over, I don't think it's a very good starter crawler.
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I disagree.. I think it makes a great crawler, and is really fun and stable to drive just about anywhere.. Lower the ride height a bit and weight the tires and it's a riot. YMMV
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I found the belly skid to be to large for serious crawling. But, it'll still bounce over the rocks. And 90* approach and departure angles are nice.

I've also found that, at least in cold weather, it is no where near as durable as an SCX or AX-10. I have all three being bashed through the snow, and the Wraith has less than ten packs on it, and I've already broken two rod ends, a lower chassis rail, stripped out three of the wheels, and twisted a driveshaft. I'm not exactly impressed.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #7

Aren't most of those parts made out of the same material as the SCX and AX10? Or even interchangeable?? I know I've beat the hell out of my Wraith and broken a few parts, but nothing i wouldnt have expected after what I put it through.

I love my Wraith and with just a few mods (lowering and weighting the wheels) it out performs my buddy's night crawler in both crawling and bashing. I wouldnt trade it for the world
bmxshipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I you have crawled with an AX10, Losi Night Crawler, or similar you will be disappointed in the Wraith as it simply does not climb like them. You could make some changes to the Wraith to make it a better climber for sure, but if you want to just hit some steep rocks etc... get the Losi or AX10. The Wraith is a blast though and I feel it can do a wider variety of stuff vs a straight up crawler. I own the Wraith, SCX10, and Losi so basing this off personal experience
mcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have had probably 25 different crawlers over the years. I Love my Wraith, but if you are planning to have a decent crawler out of the box, you are going to be disappointed! It takes quite a bit of work to make a decent crawler out of a Wraith. I am not bashing the Wraith at all, it was not intended to be a crawler in the first place.

First problem: The articulation out of the box is very limited! I converted the rear of mine to the much longer Wheely King shocks with a custom aluminum shock tower and new 90 degree rotated lower mounts. This was hands down the best thing I have done to date on this rig!

Second problem: All the battery weight is in the back in stock form, and this is not at all ideal for a crawler. Luckily, this is an easy fix as Axial left plenty of room up front to put a battery (I have a 5000mah 3S Hardcase lipo up front, and it fits great!). You basically just need to put the electronics in the rear, and battery up front (I put all my electronics in a project box in the back (ESC, BEC, Receiver).

I am still working on a suspension plan for the front, but these mods have made a night and day difference in the crawlability of the Wraith.

NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I would love to see the battery mount, without the battery on it.
notfastenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfastenuff View Post
I would love to see the battery mount, without the battery on it.
As for now, it just kind of sits on the platform for the factory receiver box. I will be making an actual battery tray soon, and will have pics in my build thread. The battery would probably stay put even without the zip ties as long as the hood was fastened on.
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Im going to try to bring this back up and ask a little different question. Why are the kits so expensive? Cheapest RTR I found new was $349, and kits at $285. You would think the kits could be a little cheaper since they have no electronics. This may have been said before, but some one enlighten me.

Last edited by offroad1911; 02-01-2012 at 04:49 PM.
offroad1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad1911 View Post
Im going to try to bring this back up and ask a little different question. Why are the kits so expensive? Cheapest RTR I found new was $349, and kits at $285. You would think the kits could be a little cheaper since they have no electronics. This may have been said before, but some one enlighten me.
because you get better parts with the kit, like better tires, front axle shafts, and aluminum links.

but either way you go be ready to get some upgrade parts, as am able to break my wraith every run.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Thanks I was not aware of that.
offroad1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad1911 View Post
Watch e-bay... they pop up for $250 for a kit here and there.
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I bought a wraith as a first crawler or whatever ppl would like to call it. Yeah I replaced a bunch of stuff and I'm not disappointed. This thing is cool, fun and a blast. I guess all the fixing and tinkering is why we call it a hobby.
rmiranda134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Just depends on what kind of driving you want to do. I think the best feature about the wraith is its versatility. Its a truck you can build any way you want.... endless options. Take a look at any one of the hundreds of build threads on here for further proof. Its just an all around fun RC vehicle period.
Soulo747 is offline   Reply With Quote

some questoins about the wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Skins for m_energy's Wife's Wraith Krawler Konceptz Paint and Body 2 10-18-2011 11:29 AM