Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Shocks with STRC Upgrades - A Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #1

Default Wraith Shocks with STRC Upgrades - A Question

I recently purchased a Wraith kit as well as a load of STRC and VP upgrades to go with it. I've been slowly working through the build as it's not only my first scaler, but my first kit as well.

I've already run into the short shaft issue, but an email to Axial has a new one on the way so no worries there.

My concern is with the travel on the shocks, or lack there of. I used the standard kit shafts, o rings and other components while throwing in upgraded STRC shock bodies and caps. Everything seem to go together fine, but i notice the up travel on the shocks doesn't come close to reaching the rubber limiter/bump stop you install at the bottom of the shaft. In fact it stops short by over 1/4". If i unscrew the cap a ways, then the shaft can travel it's full length, but i'm not sure if this is due the shaft bottoming out on the cap and unscrewing the cap allows for more travel, or if unscrewing the cap releases pent up pressure within the shock, allowing for more travel.

I've only worked with Losi XXX style shocks in the past as my first two RC vehicles have been an SCT and SCB, and i never had these sorts of issues with them.

Is this a normal function of the stock axial style shock or did i do something wrong that is limiting their travel? (The shocks seem to cycle fine, they just stop short of their full travel)

Any help would be appreciated.
Veshtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Wraith Shocks with STRC Upgrades - A Question

You might have too much shock oil in them. I just built my prolines and noticed the same thing. Took alittle oil out and now they are fine.
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yes I second the too much oil! I had the same issue...two shocks were rock hard and two were good. I took just a small amount of fluid out and what a difference.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Yep, I third the too much oil thing. Made the same mistake when I took apart my originals....once they leaked out some, they work much better
94smasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
RCC Addict

well played boys
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote