Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: wraith flex questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default wraith flex questions

Hay guys i have a custom axial wraith and i cant seam to figure out how to get more flex out of it. Any ideas
bashin calfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: wraith flex questions

More flex or articulation is not always a good thing. I would give softer springs a try, move the battery to the front of the truck, or weight the wheels. I was very happy with just moving the battery to the front of the truck, it was a night and day difference of how the truck handled. I also run Losi gold springs which are way softer than the stock springs that come with the Wraith.

Last edited by BLKXJ 96; 03-09-2012 at 05:37 PM.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Scale Detail Engineering

One tire height is a good general rule of thumb
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #4

hey man, my wraith's got a lot more flex. i have some pictures. but i can't find them. but, there is a different way to get the info on all the mods I did to my wraith. seb's rc shop will be able to help you out. his youtube video is here -> Seb's RC Shop, Axial Wraith, best suspension and performance mod in the world LOL - YouTube and Orange Axial Wraith, Chris S. design, counter lever system, single shock, big flex, Seb's RC Shop - YouTube
DH-89XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm still not convinced less is more. At least not on the Wraith.

I went with the G-Made 124mm Zeros. They have soft springs which lower the ride by about 1/4" and allow more throw than the frame will allow. The tires will actually rub the frame at full throw!
Simple and inexpensive mod to make a huge difference.
BELADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Those vids are cool to see how gnarly you can go, but they dont show the mods at all.
Plus imo they are really hard to watch. Trying to hold the camera while you drive is silly, As is handing the camera to someone who frames the worst possible viewing angles...
Damn. I'm such a hater. Obviously jealous lol.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I felt the flex was too much with my Wraith kit.. I limited the rear shocks down travel.. Much better now.

Longer shocks is a good start if you think you need more.. Good luck.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
RCC Addict

The stock flex is too much. The one tire rule is a great rule of thumb I prefer 4"-4.7" of flex.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Stock flex is not too much, even in terms of scale. I wouldn't want any more but I can't see it as too much.
dunerinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Yea, but most people limit their rigs flex even in real life. It's just too much for what it is.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #11

That's the beauty of the wraith. You can form it to your purpose what ever it may be. I bought the wraith for my son to build a slow speed crawler which is what the wraith was really inteded for, not a trophy truck. By no meas does the wraith have too much flex, it just needs a lower center of gravity. I've done all the "free" lowering tricks and now going to either buy or build longer shock towers and find a little longer shock with softer springs. Anybody with any good info, Bashin and I would appriciate it.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman View Post
That's the beauty of the wraith. You can form it to your purpose what ever it may be. I bought the wraith for my son to build a slow speed crawler which is what the wraith was really inteded for, not a trophy truck. By no meas does the wraith have too much flex, it just needs a lower center of gravity. I've done all the "free" lowering tricks and now going to either buy or build longer shock towers and find a little longer shock with softer springs. Anybody with any good info, Bashin and I would appriciate it.
For now, until you get shocks, you can grab a set of the soft 1.04 lb springs and it makes a huge difference using the stock shocks. It stays way more planted than with the stock springs. Plus, you'll get some nice sag in the suspension which is a good thing.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
RCC Addict

99% of the time to much flex will indeed hurt you crawling rocks because it will dig you into a hole..
ax10tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Nope, apparently according to others here a crawler is useless without at LEAST 90* of flex

Old 03-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I have seen a lot of overkill when it comes to flex or articulation. I personally don't think the stock shocks can offer too much. They don't have much travel so they are the limiting factor. I think the stock shocks with softer springs is a happy medium. Like I said, I wouldn't want any more.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman View Post
T... and find a little longer shock with softer springs. Anybody with any good info, Bashin and I would appriciate it.
Bashin is a bitchin name

I built mine as a crawler as well.
With an 18.5 its top speed is about twelve.

I look at it like this.
If this was a 1:1 real vehicle it would absolutely need some serious lift if not for clearance alone... it's like crawling a limo!

I get that some of you prefer less travel for your scale Jeeps and factory framed trucks. I get that it makes it more challenging and more realistic to regulate your articulation. But this is not a scale version of a uni/mono or ladder frame rig. Its a tube chassis with 4 link! Let it stretch man!

For me, I was getting tired of climbing the pile and flipping it back over every other rock. A friend said they should have named it the Axial Turtle
Once I added longer shocks and lowered the CG it performed beautifully.
So whats wrong with someone who wants to build a crawler specific Wraith adding more articulation? You would not limit the Scorpion. Heck you can twist that thing in half! Not like we want to enter a scale guild and compete for detail.
I just like the fact that it looks like a real vehicle (not an insect) and can hold its own on a pile of Granite.

I watched about five hours of youtube videos and all the crazy good crawler Wraiths have fantastic travel (at least twice the stock droop).

You guys have ten times the experience as I when it comes to crawling and I would never dare question your knowledge or experience, but for me it made it much easier. Maybe when I get bored I will limit it, but till then I'm certainly not going to make fun of or criticize someone who wants more travel. Ill just tell them how to get it.

I went with G-Made 124mm Zero shocks. They come with a 1.5 spring which sags under the huge Wraith and drops the CG by about 1/2". They also have a ton more throw and the tires will actually rub on the frame under full twist.

Those shocks, with the droop kit will bring the travel back to stock,
but allows another 5/8" cg drop!
I run w/o the droop kit, and just flipped the lower axle link mounts.

here is a pic of it under load.
It would not come close to climbing this pile in stock form.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELADOG View Post
Bashin is a bitchin name

I built mine as a crawler as well.
With an 18.5 its top speed is about twelve.

I look at it like this.
If this was a 1:1 real vehicle it would absolutely need some serious lift if not for clearance alone... it's like crawling a limo!

I get that some of you prefer less travel for your scale Jeeps and factory framed trucks. I get that it makes it more challenging and more realistic to regulate your articulation. But this is not a scale version of a uni/mono or ladder frame rig. Its a tube chassis with 4 link! Let it stretch man!

For me, I was getting tired of climbing the pile and flipping it back over every other rock. A friend said they should have named it the Axial Turtle
Once I added longer shocks and lowered the CG it performed beautifully.
So whats wrong with someone who wants to build a crawler specific Wraith adding more articulation? You would not limit the Scorpion. Heck you can twist that thing in half! Not like we want to enter a scale guild and compete for detail.
I just like the fact that it looks like a real vehicle (not an insect) and can hold its own on a pile of Granite.

I watched about five hours of youtube videos and all the crazy good crawler Wraiths have fantastic travel (at least twice the stock droop).

You guys have ten times the experience as I when it comes to crawling and I would never dare question your knowledge or experience, but for me it made it much easier. Maybe when I get bored I will limit it, but till then I'm certainly not going to make fun of or criticize someone who wants more travel. Ill just tell them how to get it.

I went with G-Made 124mm Zero shocks. They come with a 1.5 spring which sags under the huge Wraith and drops the CG by about 1/2". They also have a ton more throw and the tires will actually rub on the frame under full twist.

Those shocks, with the droop kit will bring the travel back to stock,
but allows another 5/8" cg drop!
I run w/o the droop kit, and just flipped the lower axle link mounts.

here is a pic of it under load.
It would not come close to climbing this pile in stock form.
if you cant climb that pile with a wraith in stock form. you need to learn to drive.

Axial did their research, and the wraith comes with the perfect shock for it IMO. short enough to keep it low and not too much flex, yet enough flex to do well on the rocks.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #18
RCC Addict

well my stock kit version would crawl over this that my ax10/vp chassis is going across right now in the pics.

ax10tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
if you cant climb that pile with a wraith in stock form. you need to learn to drive...

Thanks for the compliment. Your truck looks sweet too bro

Well you are probably correct. I have allot of learning to do. I like to be technical and slow when climbing. As I have never stated I am a pro...In fact quite the contrary.

Look, all I know is it went up and over nice and slow the way its built now.
Stock required massive wheel spin to "bounce" it up over the over-vert entrance.
On the back side it would have hit the skid and clanked its way down the other side.
now it droops and stays connected all the way.
still needs a lower cg I think though.

I'll keep practicing
Old 03-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Stock does not require "massive wheelspin" to "bounce" up. If you actually know how to choose a line you could easily take a stock wraith over that tiny pile

wraith flex questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Questions sullivanscx10 Axial Wraith 10 01-22-2012 09:14 AM
mine wraith flex.... DH-89XJ Axial Wraith 6 01-05-2012 05:35 AM
XR-10/Wraith knuckle questions Jus Axial Wraith 2 10-28-2011 05:26 PM
wraith questions wraith_1986 Axial Wraith 1 10-17-2011 12:27 PM
Wraith Shock Questions! s102000 Axial Wraith 15 07-25-2011 12:14 AM