Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Axial wraith mods and rear drawer...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 05:57 AM   #1

Default Axial wraith mods and rear drawer...

Hey all,

Just wanted to show what I have done to my wraith so far.

Front battery mod. Onto a piece of angle ally and fits sweet in there, moved the tx box forward and moved the esc to the back. I also put moved and changed the switch to a small toggle that replaces the gear stick in the cab.

Ally panels. Used the plastic ones as templates and just cut and bent up some new ones, I love it that it is actually getting dinged up and scratched out on the trail, just like a real car. Made some ally hinges up as well for the flip bonnet. To secure bonnet I drilled out a stubby piece from the parts tree and then screwed up from underneath through the original screw holes and into the new posts. Cross drilled them so they fit body pins and all good to go.

Lower stance. Same as most here, flipped the shock mounts, let the springs sag down. Heaps more stable now. Something that I did that I hadn't seen here was to use a small diameter tie wire and used it to secure the coils at each end so that in full flex the spring can't bind when compressing again.

Rear deck. I used a piece of ally from a truck exhaust heat shield, cost nothing from the wreckers. Cut small holes so the top of the shock mounts to come through, also made up a couple of eyelets for tie downs.

Scale gear. Really simple at this stage, just a shoe lace sewed and heat shrink, a couple of bungies made out of daughters hair ties and piano wire and a snatch strap out of elastic, sewed and heat shrink again. Also have a chain hanging down which used to be jewelry picked up from the markets.

Rear drawer. I decided to make something that could actually hold tools for the trail. After moving the battery to the front it left me with a bit of room under the rear tray. I used a piece of ally that was lying around, bent it up into the box drilled a couple of holes for the piano wire hinge and it was good to go. The issue was with how to hold it in there. I ended up gluing some reinforcing plastic into the half cut battery tray then glued a rare earth magnet to it so that it was flush. I the. Slid the drawer in there and glued a magnet to the inside of the drawer (glue was wet when I put it in so that the magnet could align to the one underneath for max hold). The awesome thing about using the magnet to hold it closed is that it also holds the tools in there and no rattles. I carry 3 Allan keys, Stanley blade, Phillips and flat screwdrivers. All fits does not come out and the only thing I carry on me on the trail now is a pair of pliers.

Hope you enjoy and if you have any questions please ask.

Stainless02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2012, 06:05 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Axial wraith mods and rear drawer...

A functional tool box, how cool.
AR Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

that is a really neat idea. The last pic look gorgeous, too....
94smasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Very cool Did you make the tools too?
slickwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have to say that last photo is fab....bas relief?
Having your rig haul your tools?....priceless
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Fan of wheelspeed

love this idea. And that pic is awesome. How does the drawer hold up under bash conditions?
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #7

Thanks for the comments, as for the tools, I used regular Allan keys that I had to cut down a little bit as they were the long variety to start with. The screw drivers are just the small ones out of a set I had to gut the handle down a bit though. The blue one (phillips) took some modding as when I cut it down the shaft would spin in the handle. I pulled it out, heated it up and flattened the back part. Then put it in a vice, heated it up again and slid the handle on, which melted onto the flattened part. It is rock solid now.

The drawer holds up really well to bashing, it has been in multiple roll overs and has not come out or even looked like it would come out. The rear deck holds it shut so the lid can't come open either.

The photo was taken down at the flinders blow hole (Australia, Melbourne, VIC.) It is all volcanic rock so heaps of grip and different lines everywhere. I am a photographer so am glad you liked the shot. http://www.lindenbleijie.com.au

Cheers
Stainless02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

that last pic looked amazing i am looking to be a photographer and i want to make my rigs look so scale that when you take a pic it really looks real i showed one of mine to a friend and she was like when did you get that jeep! even though it was on my kitchen counter but looks good keep up the good work
rc kraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
RCC Addict

^^Please......not trying to be a grammar nazi here.....but use some damn punctuation!

OP....Wraith looks good, man! And yeah...the HDR pic looks perfect!
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus
^^Please......not trying to be a grammar nazi here.....but use some damn punctuation!!
LOL!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Go get em Brett...
bbking9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial wraith mods and rear drawer... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Wraith Sway Bar Kits - Front and Rear BENDER Axial Wraith 20 11-25-2016 02:59 PM
My Wraith mods Stburr91 Axial Wraith 8 10-10-2011 05:22 PM
Rear End and locker servo mods...... Madpete98 Venom Creeper 2 03-06-2009 02:55 AM