Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: VP/STRC steering adaptability?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: VP/STRC steering adaptability?

Sorry guys there's going to be a delay in pics. Here's the Traxxas Hex's, TowerHobbies.com | 3654 Traxxas Hex Wheel Hub 2.5x12mm Fr Rustler/Stampede (2)
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

as far as the hexes go. I dont think 2.5mm will add enough clearance to keep mine from rubbing when bound up.
Also, my stock hexes have developrd much play as well. No way I would go plastic.
Here.
Mini 12mm Wheel Widener (4)
These are schweet!
BELADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELADOG View Post
as far as the hexes go. I dont think 2.5mm will add enough clearance to keep mine from rubbing when bound up.
Also, my stock hexes have developrd much play as well. No way I would go plastic.
Here.
Mini 12mm Wheel Widener (4)
These are schweet!
Thats odd, I've never had any problems running plastic as long as the hex fits deep enough into the wheel. I've got about a dozen packs ran thru mine running plastic wheels as well (XR10) and dont have any slop yet but will keep an eye on them in the future.

Those look pretty nice, I mite have to try them out. The only thing that scares me about them are the barrel nut's. My Jun-Fac wideners have those and they loosen up constantly if you dont pile on the locktite.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:43 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by transambill View Post
...never had any problems running plastic...
...only thing that scares me about them are the barrel nut's. My Jun-Fac wideners have those and they loosen up constantly if you dont pile on the locktite.
Did you use the lock washer under the barrel head?
Sometimes crappy lock nuts will loosen up. get a good grade-8 steel lock washer from Napa Auto or other auto shop. They wont loose their spring.

I'll be the guinea pig. They will be here in a few days. Ill post back for sure. The wideners are a temporary fix till I get the new links made and can afford some new shoes.

I've got plastic wheels and currently have the plastic hubs. I thought they were fine but have recently been chasing down some serious wobble in my front end.
Most egregious offender was the dogbones. Replaced those with universals and found the axle play to be disgusting. Shimmed it temporarily till I get the No Slop Locker from RPP this week, but then found the wheel nut connection to be really loose. Not awful, but bad enough to make me want to upgrade.
Lol, My front end is gonna be so solid now

Best,

Last edited by BELADOG; 03-19-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #45

I just finished up my wraith kit as well. First scale/crawler i've ever done. Hell, first kit i've ever done, and i have run into this exact same problem with the tie rod binding.

I'm a sucker for hop ups, so i got just about ever STRC or VP product there was to get and added them in as i put it together. I've run into several issues, including the bad rear short shaft issue (axial sent me a new one). I've also run into a problem with the STRC rear lockouts as they seem to allow too much play in the rear end. I'll probably end up having to shim that at some point.

To the point, i have STRC C-Hubs and Vanquish Wraith Knuckles along with the VP CMS and Panhard kit. Everything went together fine, although i feel like some of the bolts/screws that VP provide are too short. Some of them barely bite into the nylon portion of the locknut. That being said, a few longer screws could solve that, so easily done. What's not so easy is the VP tie rod. If i push the tie rod all the way up, it will clear the STRC diff covers i have, but the Traxxas rod ends allow so much play that if you push the tie rod all the way down, it will easy get hung up on the diff cover and limits the steering by a good bit. I think the STRC diff cover is even worse for this because it's all squared off on the front, so it actually "catches" the rod and causes binding.

I moved the tie rod to above the knuckle arms, which solved the clearance/binding issues, but introduced a very large amount of toe out. I'm not quite sure where i'm going to go to solve this as of yet, but it's an obvious issue.

*Edit* On another side note, if you're going to use the VP Panhard kit, stay away from the STRC shock mounts. They seem to be somewhat wider than the standard mounts and do not work with the Panhard kit unless you do a good bit of grinding on the shock mount.

Last edited by Veshtan; 03-19-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Added Info
Veshtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by transambill View Post
Thats odd, I've never had any problems running plastic as long as the hex fits deep enough into the wheel. I've got about a dozen packs ran thru mine running plastic wheels as well (XR10) and dont have any slop yet but will keep an eye on them in the future.

Those look pretty nice, I mite have to try them out. The only thing that scares me about them are the barrel nut's. My Jun-Fac wideners have those and they loosen up constantly if you dont pile on the locktite.
I tried running plastic hexes on my AX and I turned the pin right out of the slot in 5min. run time.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

thanks for the part # TransamBill...did not realize they were plastic...I've been shying away from using plastic parts as a general rule...I end up replacing it with metal when I can...those RC4wd mini wideners are looking better and better
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMGREG View Post
I tried running plastic hexes on my AX and I turned the pin right out of the slot in 5min. run time.
Wow, what are you runnin for motor/esc? If I tore up a set in 5 minutes I would shy away from plastic too.

BELADOG
Yes I used the supplied lock washers but they came off flat the first time I took the wheel's back off. I'll try the grade 8 washer cause I'm still running them on my KOH 1.9 Jeep and the threded portion of my axle shafts are always a mess from the locktite when I remove the wheel's. I also like the RC4WD ones you posted cause there hex mount and the Jun-Fac I've got are pin mount. I look forward to hearing what you think of them and how they worked out for you.

Last edited by transambill; 03-19-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

I called vanquish today too ask for my missing hardware.

I also asked about the steering arm/wheel clearance issues. Rob said that I need different wheels. The stock wheels don't work.

I put my wide Mayhems on, as the hex is flush. The steering is crazy good, but now the tie rod hits the diff cover. the suspension travel is crazy high too, but the axles are too wide... It looks kinda funny
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnyote View Post
I called vanquish today too ask for my missing hardware.

I also asked about the steering arm/wheel clearance issues. Rob said that I need different wheels. The stock wheels don't work.

I put my wide Mayhems on, as the hex is flush. The steering is crazy good, but now the tie rod hits the diff cover. the suspension travel is crazy high too, but the axles are too wide... It looks kinda funny
that should be explained in the part description, I dont have other wheels, had I known that, I wouldnt have bought VP links.......thats awesome. Now Im reconsidering buying anything from them....the parts look great but I hate the "not knowing factor" when buying parts, hope they are reading this and considering more detailed descriptions, just a little clarity would go a long way.
kmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmas View Post
that should be explained in the part description, I dont have other wheels, had I known that, I wouldnt have bought VP links.......thats awesome. Now Im reconsidering buying anything from them....the parts look great but I hate the "not knowing factor" when buying parts, hope they are reading this and considering more detailed descriptions, just a little clarity would go a long way.
Well most people ditch the stock rims anyway. I didn't even run them once. And why would you not by VP? Their products and customer service are top notch. And BTW before you get upset at them, they did say it. You just didn't read, this was taken directly from their site.

"May require slightly wider hexes for some setups, some versions of wraith have slight rubbing issue with stock wheels."

Last edited by ScaleFreak93; 03-19-2012 at 04:49 PM.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #52
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleFreak93 View Post
Well most people ditch the stock rims anyway. I didn't even run them once. And why would you not by VP? Their products and customer service are top notch. And BTW before you get upset at them, they did say it. You just didn't read, this was taken directly from their site.

"May require slightly wider hexes for some setups, some versions of wraith have slight rubbing issue with stock wheels."
Yup, missed that, my apologies. It also says new version, (which I dont have) doesnt rub on diff cover, which would be my other issue. I will probably buy something Vp in the future, but not linkages, Im thinking of ditching the linkages all together and making my own, we will see how much time I have in the near future. Glad youve had such a great experience with vp, I hope to have a better experience in the future.....we will see. I mean after all, it is just a $17 part that we seem to be having problems with, not the end of the world......but irritating none the less.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #53
Pebble Pounder

how about "Will require wider hubs for stock axial wheels, this is not a bolt on stock application"
Old 03-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Definitely don't stay away from VP! All I've had is great experiences with them! And like I said, most ditch the rims right away, or very soon after getting them.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #55
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleFreak93 View Post
Definitely don't stay away from VP! All I've had is great experiences with them! And like I said, most ditch the rims right away, or very soon after getting them.
yeah, I havent ditched my wheels yet, I do have xr10 wheels but they have the same problem. 17 linkage.......100 wheels.....like I said, Im going to try making my own linkages.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnyote View Post
... but now the tie rod hits the diff cover. the suspension travel is crazy high too, but the axles are too wide... It looks kinda funny
YUP. Time for arm to knuckle links

I ordered new wheels a few weeks ago but got the Axial beadlocks so I imagine they will have the same offset?
I will try them with the G made spacers and post back. They should be here monana.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELADOG View Post
YUP. Time for arm to knuckle links

I ordered new wheels a few weeks ago but got the Axial beadlocks so I imagine they will have the same offset?
I will try them with the G made spacers and post back. They should be here monana.
No, axial beadlocks have more offset than the stock wraith rims.

Last edited by ScaleFreak93; 03-21-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

You are friggin confusing me! Use your Punctuation!

Are you saying

"NO. Beadlocks have more offset than the stock."

Or are you saying

"no Axial beadlocks have more offset than stock."

Lol
Old 03-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #59
Pebble Pounder

what about these, I know that the fronts wont work but I think these are wider than stock.

Traxxas Slash 2wd aluminum wheel hex hub TE1006SL | eBay
Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Spend yhe extra $15 and get these

These are what I just ordered

VP/STRC steering adaptability? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
strc steering links pedlhed Newbie General 2 12-31-2011 01:54 AM
Steering knuckles, VP or STRC? NCT_Guy Axial Wraith 22 12-02-2011 09:37 PM
strc HD steering link set 16hp Axial Wraith 3 11-26-2011 08:57 PM
STRC front aluminum steering knuckles Stinky One Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 01-30-2010 12:02 AM